Marlin Firearms Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Wondering if anyone here shoots the Barnes ammo in your guns and how did it shoot as far as accuracy and knock down power. Reason I ask is I shot them for a long time in my slug gun with awesome results and also shot them in my muzzleloader with great results. I know Core-Lokts and Silvertips work great and are cheaper but in my experience, the Barnes penetrate so much deeper. I know they are more expensive but when that buck of a lifetime shows up I want all the fire power I can get. Several times just before I pulled the trigger the buck suddenly turned and had a rear entry shot but shooting the Barnes in my slug gun it always went almost the full length of the deer every time. I don't mind paying about $2.00 for a shell already loaded when I have spent so much every where else, It's worth every penny especially not to have my deer cross the creek and go onto posted property before expiring. This happened to me a few years ago on a monster buck shooting Hornady 240 grain XTP's in my muzzleloader. I guess I had such good success in my other guns with Barnes I am thinking about them for our Marlin rifles. Midway had them listed for $37.50 in the Federal loading. They would only be used for hunting and the Remington Core-Lokts for general shooting as they are also excellent bullets.

Mike

·
Registered
86 Posts
No doubt Barnes will kill, I like you use them for muzzleloader, but the 30.30 170's Core-Lokts will put a hole all the way through so you can't really penetrate any deeper that. So, I'm thinking why not save the money? I've been able to find the cheap Federal 170's for about $12/box.

·
Registered
477 Posts
LT you are right the Core-Lokts have great penetration and power from a 30-30 or any caliber. I have probably shot more deer with Core-Lokts than any other. But my experience using the Barnes they expand with the four petals cutting through meat and bone leaving awesome blood trails. Where I hunt in the mountains it is thick and if a deer turns on me and if I unintentionally shoot a rear shot thru the hams, I know the Barnes bullets in the past for me performed awesome on those type of shots. Even though I always prefer a shoulder shot when available. I believe a Core-Lokt will also penetrate just like you said but after shooting the Barnes in the past they just did so much damage. I would rather loose five pounds of meat than loose a whole deer. The only reason I ask about the Barnes is that I have never used them in the 30/30 before. Thanks a lot for the replies.

Mike

·
Registered
221 Posts
I have done some reloading with Barnes and they did fine... however, I have found in my 30/30's that the 150 gr Hornady Round Nose actually does a better job in dropping them.

Reactions: oh-behi

·
Registered
174 Posts
VA, I totally agree on the quality and effectiveness of the barnes bullets. I also use them in a few calibers and MZ. They also shine in the 45/70 with the 250gr. Just realize that you need to change powders in cases like the 30-30 to get good velocities. The barnes bullets always take more of the case.

Not NEEDED but they are great performers!!!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Plundering Bill said:
I have done some reloading with Barnes and they did fine...however, I have found in my 30-30's that the 150 gr Hornady Round Nose actually does a better job in dropping them.
The Barnes Bullet are good, but about 20 years ago I watched my Dad shoot a doe with 130 Hornady's in the chest facing him at about 175 yards. That deer went down like it was hit with the hammer of Thor. When we skinned the deer, we found the bullet right under the hide at the rump. Perfect mushroom, and weighted 118 grains. We both switched to Hornady's from then on. I just like the way those bullets preform.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Thanks guys for the feedback I appreciate the help. I shoot a Marlin 45-70 but I am sure I will have to downsize to a 30/30 due to having neck surgery last year. With those big 300 grainers I don't need Barnes as they punch a big ole hole but the Barnes in the 30/30 has me thinking about them. My son has a nice anniversary Marlin in 30/30 and if I get one it will probably be the Marlin 336SS. The first 5 or 10 deer I shot was with a Winny 30/30. Thanks again!

Mike

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm new to this forum. I sighted in my new 336 bl today (iron sights and scope) with Barnes Vor Tx. I'm going on my first black bear hunt in one week from today. I've never used Barnes before but I always use the best ammo I can get. From what I've read and the videos I've watched I do believe I've made the best choice in ammo. I hope I can give a review of how the ammo works and of course, bring home some meat. Has anyone ever used Barnes in 30/30 on black bear before?

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Haven't used Barnes on black bear, wouldn't hesitate though. Taken a few deer with my 30-30 running reloads, tsx 150s, almost brought it as my primary for moose this year. My handloads at 50yds stack together with open sights.

If there accurate it will do anything you want. Had one face me at the last minute(deer) went in the left shoulder, ribs, found it under the right haunch skin, figure 3 feet easy. Good luck, getting a reload right was tricky, worth it though.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I've reloaded for my Super Blackhawk Hunter but it's been a few years since I have. I use a Lee Loader. I plan to reload for my .30-30 starting this January.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I have never shot the Barnes ammo and most likely never will. One of the great attributes of the 30-30 is how efficient it is. A plain cup and core bullet is all you need. It works on around 30 grains of powder so a pound of powder goes a long way. It will give just about as good of service with a cast lead slug. And if you know how to cast a 2 part bullet with a soft front portion just as good if not better than a jacketed bullet.

I read a penetration test long ago and the two deepest bullets were from a 375 H&H and second a 170gr 30-30. Then came the 30-06's and .270's and all the others. And if you have shot several deer you know there is almost no garantee's when it comes to stopping deer. I have seen them run a hundred yards with their insides blown to mush.

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
The only use I have for barnes bullets are high velocity rifle like 243, 300 win mag etc that can make use of the controlled expansion, and the expense. I don't spend much time on working up loads using hunting bullets anymore as far as accuracy 1-2" at 100 yards is plenty good enough for my uses on deer (that's using barnes in bolt action rifles). I also bought some during the bullet shortage for my 7mm-08 when I use them up I will drop back to a normal cup/core or maybe nosler partition. I have not used them in a 30-30, but the solid copper bullets I have used like to get a running start at the throat... I think barnes even recommends seating so far off the lands. Barnes makes outstanding bullets, if you need the controlled expansion, or the solid copper for hunting regulations they will serve you well... for a 30-30 the controlled expansion is just not needed tho, even as I mentioned previously the 7mm-08 does not need controlled expansion

·
Banned
3 Posts
Not all of us use a 30/30 to hunt deer. I will be using mine for elk and moose, and I want all the penetration I can get with great expansion. From what I have seen the Barnes offering will do that for me.
For those of you whining about price they are 50CAD a box here. Not a big price to pay for good performance.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I'm sure the barnes will perform just fine, The 170 CL will probably penetrate as well as I've never recovered one, never recovered a 150 either. If you want a faster "drop" and don't use the Barnes, try the 150 CL, or the Hornaday LEs, I've had more fast drops with those then I ever had with the 170s. I also would never shoot a deer through the hams, no matter how big, but that's me.
Shoot enough of them and you'll discover that deer sometimes will go way further then you'd imagine with a mortal wound, no matter what you hit them with....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.