Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out on the last weekend of muzzleloading season here in NY. I sat down where I had taken a 10 pointer earlier in the season. I had been hearing alot of commotion in the brush off to my right so i decided to get up and take a walk. After only about 5 minutes I jumped two doe which took off up a large hill which had alot of thick brush between us. The first deer went up and over the hill but the second one stopped about halfway up. I guessed the range at about 100 yards. I was carrying my replica 1853 Enfield Musketoon in .577 caliber. The front sight covered most of the deer so I put the sight level with the doe's nose. The Minie ball hit her in the neck taking out her windpipe and an artery. She dropped where she stood. She weighed about 115 pounds dressed.

Reactions: Magwa45

·
Premium Member
9,038 Posts
Congratulations! I decided a long time ago that the in lines just didn't have no appeal to me. For me they just ain't right. I have had guys actually blurt out, "you're using a side hammer"!! like I openly showed 'em a bag of heroin or something. Reminds me of the supernukewhizzbangmagnumremchesterby crowd at the range when you shoot mil-surps or leverguns as well as their hubblescoped aforementioned artillery piece. Thats fine and all, and to each their own, Guess its just not my way. Way to get the job done! Enjoy that traditional backstrap! ;)

Reactions: windy

·
Registered
152 Posts
I'll take my TC Renegade .50 cal flinchlock during PA's ML season, but if I'm in the mood to go out in the early ML doe season, and it's raining, I'll grab the inline.

·
Premium Member
2,015 Posts
Congratulations and good shooting. I two do not care for the inlines. I had rather use a patch and ball.

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
No use for an inline here at all. I guess they're okay if you're into that kind of thing, but the old black powder and patched roundballs are what I want.

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
Congrats on your deer. Your rifle is pretty too!

I don't understand what you mean when you say 'inline' - your rifle LOADS differently or what than other b/p rifles? Different kind of ammunition than regular black powder?

Please excuse my ignorance.

Thank you.

Catherine

·
El Kabong
8,333 Posts
An inline is a rifle made for those folks who want to take advantage of muzzle loading season, they want to kill deer, but dont have the time or brains to use a muzzle loader.

The term "inline" comes from the spark source being behind the chamber. You can use a cap, or primer, or even a sparker from a BBQ. Yup, a freakin BBQ.
They use sabot rounds with modern bullets inside them, a black powder substitute & charge levels 2-3x times what they need, so they get a bigger bang than the next guy, scopes and every other modern convenience you can think of.

If I handed them my flintlock,they would run like girls. I have had several of them do just that.

Dang I fell good 8)

·
Registered
50 Posts
44-40 Willy said:
No use for an inline here at all. I guess they're okay if you're into that kind of thing, but the old black powder and patched roundballs are what I want.
In-lines shoot patched balls also. Them and Maxi-Ball bullets are all I use in mine. Not everybody uses sabots or Powerbelts folks. I just love how everyone complains about in-line shooters. Not a whole lot of difference between a percussion cap and a shotgun primer. In-lines are just MUCH easier to clean. Hate to be the one to tell you that your high-horse you complain from isn't that high. Now flintlock, whole other ballgame....... hats off to them.

·
Premium Member
12,566 Posts
Yep, a scope on a blackpowder rifle is just wrong. I was very disappointed back when WV passed that law that you could use scopes on blackpowder rifles. That's about the time I stopped hunting the muzzleloader season.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Greetings
Inlines... not me I still prefer to crawl through the bushes and strike hard flint into a flash pan.
BUT if that is how another feller wants to hunt I am thrilled he is out there.

·
El Kabong
8,333 Posts
Bisley said:
(1)In-lines shoot patched balls also. Them and Maxi-Ball bullets are all I use in mine.

(2)Not a whole lot of difference between a percussion cap and a shotgun primer.

(3)In-lines are just MUCH easier to clean.
(1) With a 1/28 to 1/33 barrel twist, in-lines are not designed to shoot round ball at all. 1/60 -1/72 are round ball twists. In-lines are designed to shoot modern projectiles. Production guns are designed to shoot both with their 1/48 twists.

(2) You can make your own caps. Its a simple aluminum cup with a cap from a kids cap gun inside. Not a water proof, two piece cap & anvil coated with glycerin. There isnt much difference in a VW and a Porsche.

(3) I dont see whats so hard around running some hot water & dish water soap down a barrel, and few patches. Petroleum based oils have never touched my barrel. You see it fowls when mixed with burnt powders.

I push a 45 cal ball out a 42 inch swamped & stress relieved barrel at 2030fps using 75gr 2f real black powder. There is no fowling at all. I have .012 cut and round rifling to grab the patch and seal the barrel. In-lines with their shallow button rifling in a stainless barrel can not get close to these speeds.

So if my superior made barrel & lock take a few minutes longer. Its time well spent. For the clack-boom in the early morning mist is well worth the time invested.

The one advantage that a in-line has over a flintlock is the learning curve. Any one can load an in-line get a few rounds off, and kill critters.
You can find several articles where guys have blown up their in-lines. You ever seen an article where a flintlock has blown up. Ive been shooting them since the 70s, and have never seen one.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Guess I'm just hard core. If it ain't got a flash in the pan it just ain't muzzleloading. Also, I need to smell black powder. I guess I'm going backwards. I shot a flintlock .50 rifle for 25 years and now I hunt with a flintlock .62 smooth bore. I now use the same gun for deer and squirrel. I just wish my eyes would go a few years backwards also. ;D To each his own but I need the spark.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Me and my old Hawken I built years ago are doing just fine. Then those new-fangled "inline" thangs come along and EVERYBODY'S gotta have one. So they look like a cartridge rifle. They got scopes, and super-dooper sabot stuff with jacketed rounds. Why the fuss? I'm with Pard on this one for sure. Give me a flinter or a percussion rifle and I'll show you how to shoot right. My daughter-in-law is a real gun nut. She's been in love with my old Hawken from the minute she dropped the hammer and saw how a patched RB can hit at a distance. My boy with his scoped .308 was next to her on my range. She out shot the lad and he just said it was pure luck. He said he was gonna get a cheapo inline and show her. I just chuckled and helped the gal reload. Now my D-I-L wants me to put the Hawken in my will for her. I'm gonna do just that too. At least it will go to someone that will care for it. My boy wants all that "Modern" stuff and has to have a scope the size of a horse's leg atop his weapon.
Wade

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hey Pard, please don't tell these newer rifles they aren't supposed to shoot balls well, I would hate for my 2-3 MOA groups to go away (don't believe everything you hear if you haven't tried it). And just because a rifle is drilled and tapped, I love how y'all assume every one of them has a scope sitting on it. Very presumptious group here. Guess we shouldn't buy Ruger SAA's either, after all, even though they are old style single actions many many have integrated scope mounts? To each their own I guess.

·
Super Moderator
7,969 Posts
I have no issue with people shooting and hunting with Inlines, too me inlines have no soul or history, they belong in the modern world. Many times while hunting Elk in the High Country I would take a break an ponder just how natural and right my Rocklock was in the Rocky Mountains. You could turn the clock back 200 years and it would have been right at home.

People who use Traditional Muzzleloaders have a passion about there sport that inline folks do not have.

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
Bisley said:
Guess we shouldn't buy Ruger SAA's either, after all, even though they are old style single actions many many have integrated scope mounts? To each their own I guess.
Don't see any kind of scope mount on my Ruger Vaquero, intergrated or not. But then Ruger don't make a Single Action Army anyway. ;D

If someone wants to shoot an inline that's their business. Go for it. I won't.

·
Super Moderator
14,063 Posts
Bisley said:
Hey Pard, please don't tell these newer rifles they aren't supposed to shoot balls well, I would hate for my 2-3 MOA groups to go away (don't believe everything you hear if you haven't tried it). And just because a rifle is drilled and tapped, I love how y'all assume every one of them has a scope sitting on it. Very presumptious group here. Guess we shouldn't buy Ruger SAA's either, after all, even though they are old style single actions many many have integrated scope mounts? To each their own I guess.
Inlines VS side lock is just like the debate over Ford or Chevy, glock and 1911, Harley or Metric. All are wonderful, reliable, and work great. When it comes to inlines and sidelocks, it depends on who is a traditionalist and who isn't. It is nothing to get your panties in a wad over it.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.