What is your favorite Deer load?

Curious minds want to know.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
RV Stallard said:
SquirrelSniper said:
I don't own a NEF. :shock:
They are fine shooters! You need to pick one up. Best deal in firearms.
I know, I know. My list of wants is now a bound volume or two. :lol: I'm still trying to build up my colection of "evil" black rifles and other things that stand a chance of being banned due to ym 'fellow" Americans ignorance and or apathy first. Maybe one in .357mag and then .44 mag? 8)

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SquirrelSniper said:
RV Stallard said:
SquirrelSniper said:
I don't own a NEF. :shock:
They are fine shooters! You need to pick one up. Best deal in firearms.
I know, I know. My list of wants is now a bound volume or two. :lol: I'm still trying to build up my colection of "evil" black rifles and other things that stand a chance of being banned due to ym 'fellow" Americans ignorance and or apathy first. Maybe one in .357mag and then .44 mag? 8)
Either the .357 or .429 would be good, but if I could only choose one, i'd get the .357. You can ream it down to shoot the .357max and have a fine deer rifle. You can shoot 148 gr .38 special wadcutters and punch nice clean holes in a squirrels head.

Bulk loaded .38 ammo is almost as cheap as .22 lr

Hmmm, that sounds so good, I might need to get another one. :shock:

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
IMR 4350 in the .30-30 NEF

I tested 150gr Sierra spitzers over 36 grains of IMR 4350 (COL 2.849") set off with Federal GM210M primer.

My 3 shot 100 yard group measured .826"

I will try a 5 shot group on the next calm day.
This load was compressed.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Dang RV, that's pretty impressive. Heck any sub-MOA group in a Handi impresses me. What about velocities with that load? Were those the Pro-Hunter spitzers? My 30-30 will shoot a 1" group at 50 yards with factory Winchesters but I haven't tried it at 100 yet. I'd like to load it with some spitzers or even some 150 grain partitions or Balistic tips. Keep up the load testing, save us all some time. :wink:

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
lik2hunt said:
Dang RV, that's pretty impressive. Heck any sub-MOA group in a Handi impresses me. What about velocities with that load? Were those the Pro-Hunter spitzers? My 30-30 will shoot a 1" group at 50 yards with factory Winchesters but I haven't tried it at 100 yet. I'd like to load it with some spitzers or even some 150 grain partitions or Balistic tips. Keep up the load testing, save us all some time. :wink:
I haven't chronographed the load, also I just loaded 12 Hornady SST 150's to test. I had to seat them at 2.9 inches which is just off the lands.
The sierra bullet is the 2130.
I'll test and report.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts