Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
using Hornady LeverEvoultion ammo this season or something else. Also is there anyone here other than me that gets 1 1/5 -2 inch groups on average with this ammo?. I thought that this ammo was supposed to be more accurate than all other 30-30 ammo out there. I got a 5/8'' 3 shot grp with the Federal 150gr Fusion so I am torn between that and the hornady Evolution right now.

·
Registered
431 Posts
It would be hard to pass on the 5/8ths inch group from the Federal load.

LeverEvolution does not claim to be the most accurate, only to offer the most ballistically efficient bullet. This generally will insure the least drop at long range and the most retained energy. So it is at its best as a long range load.

If all your hunting is done in thick places and relatively short range, the advantage might shift back to your Federal Fusion tackdriver.

If you hunt where a 200 + yard shot might be necessary, then LeverEvolution and a steady rest will make you more successful.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here are my results from the last range session. The Federal Fusions are the ones that are closest to the bull and the Hornadys' slightly higher.

·
Registered
697 Posts
I picked up a pawn shop 336 30-30 last year. Mounted a 2x7 leupold on it and went to the range. Using the leverevolution ammo, the first 3 shots at 100 yards cut connecting holes before I started fine tuning the scope. I took 3 does with that ammo. It did a great job both in accuracy and hunting. I've hardly ever shot factory ammo but that gun will stay set up for that ammo. Wish it had been available in time for the regular season. Still, I got to test it durring our Dec. antlerless season. Rick :D

·
Registered
562 Posts
I picked the button for "handload" but I was really looking for the "both" button. I"ve found LeverEvolution to be very accurate in my .35 Remington - more accurate than my handloads, sad to say.

My plan right now is to use my handloads for deer hunting but to load up with some LeverEvolution and try to kill a coyote with it - just `cause I want to kill a coyote with a leveraction for a change.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
I plan on using the Hornaday this fall in my .35 Rem. They group all touching. In my Savage 340 .30-30 the Hornaday dosen't group well. About 3" at 100 yds. With Rem 170 gr. 1 1/2 or less. All guns are different and have different loads they like.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts