Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 380 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has been suggested that many of us have possibly blown this whole Marlin crisis completely out of perspective, that we are just whiners and complainers, and it has even been suggested that we are somehow creating a "self fulfilling prophecy" simply by voicing complaints so loudly, that by doing so we are going to cause Marlin to fail.

These are serious accusations considering how much we all love our Marlins!

So I would like to start a thread just for positive experiences out there with new Marlins. This should be only for those guns with a REP on the right hand side of the barrel. If you had a good experience of any kind, maybe the gun fired when you pulled the trigger, maybe you got it to cycle ammunition, maybe the wood looked nice or had good fit or the barrel wasn't drooping. Maybe you found a good use for the extra dovetail that you would like to share, anything at all, now is the time to sway the balance and stop this free fall of the Marlin image that supposedly all the negative comments here are the cause of.

If this is indeed true that complainers are the cause, then we should start to see at least some positive stories on here. If so this should be interesting. If there are only a couple cases of joy with new Marlins then we have to wonder what the "new Marlin" is all about.

Lets hear it folks!! Good stories only!

·
Premium Member
1,463 Posts
Do I have to hang around to see if any show up? I have an afternoon of fishing planned.

I'll just check back next week I know there won't be much to catch up on. ;D ;D

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lesismore said:
Do I have to hang around to see if any show up? I have an afternoon of fishing planned.

I'll just check back next week I know there won't be much to catch up on. ;D ;D
Yeah this could be a slow thread alright, and I did ask the question it with a little sarcasm but the truth is I would like to know or at least have a better handle if Marlin now is at least shipping some good guns out. There is a thread going on the 1894 forum that asks about who is not having feeding issues (with all dates of manufacture) and the overwhelming majority is not having any issues at all. So it is the tip of the iceberg that we hear about with the feeding issues when in fact it really is not much of a problem. I wanted to see if the same thing could be occurring with the new Marlins with REP on their barrels, could we only be hearing from the bad ones and that is the tip of the iceberg as well?
So far not much response. Sometimes icebergs look like they are floating when they ground themselves and there they sit mostly out of water. . Maybe there should be a link from the other forums to this thread?
Any good news out there??

·
Registered
162 Posts
Actually you are asking a good question. I am just wondering if the Rant forum is the right place for this string? Perhaps you would get a better response in a more general section of MO. I think those in the Rant forum may not be generally in the group "who have had a positive experience".

·
Registered
377 Posts
I got a new 1894css with the REP stamp and I am happy with it. It is stiff to open but that will change with use. I think the parts were made in the old plant and put together in the new. I went out and bought two new model 39As in the past week. Those two rifles look nice and function fine.

·
Registered
320 Posts
rono said:
I went out and bought two new model 39As in the past week. Those two rifles look nice and function fine.
Rono,

Did the 39A's have the REP Proof on the Right side of the Barrel?

Joe :)

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
rono said:
I got a new 1894css with the REP stamp and I am happy with it. It is stiff to open but that will change with use. I think the parts were made in the old plant and put together in the new. I went out and bought two new model 39As in the past week. Those two rifles look nice and function fine.
That is good news and what I want to be hearing. Both my JM Marlins were somewhat stiff as well, but loosened right up with use.
I wasn't aware that they were making 39A's yet. That is one Marlin I want to have someday.

Reactions: pacificpt

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Windage said:
Actually you are asking a good question. I am just wondering if the Rant forum is the right place for this string? Perhaps you would get a better response in a more general section of MO. I think those in the Rant forum may not be generally in the group "who have had a positive experience".
Well I agree, there might be better places, but since the rant forum is kind of the nexus of the new Marlin I think this is a good place for it as it will be read by those who are interested in what is going on with Marlin.

·
Registered
320 Posts
rono said:
There is neither a JM or REP on the Model 39A. The serial number is pretty high...91305xxx
Rono,

Mine is a 91303xxx.

Take a close look at the left side of the barrel close to the receiver,, and see if you don't see a Faint mark of a "J" or "M". Mine has just the "M",, with a very faint part of the "J" visible.

Your's may be one of the Very Last that came out of the North Haven Plant,

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello,

I just purchased my first rifle, a '94 in .44, her name is Gertrude and I am in love!!!

It's all Hickok45's fault, thank you sir!

She has the REP mark on the barrel with an S next to it and the serial on the receiver 9108XXXX. From what I have read in this forum, I'm thinkin the receiver was made right here in CT but the rest by Remington. The walnut doesn't seem to be as nice as some of the photos I've seen, though I would never say that in front of her. :p

A buddy of mine and I went out yesterday and ran a hundred or so rounds through her, I had no problems at all. Nice and smooth. I tried Ultramax, Winchester white box, and Hornady Leverevolution. All of them cycled well, the Hornady's were mint.
The one thing that I couldn't figure out is that the the gun seems to shoot low right no matter what. I'm waiting for my Skinner sights and hope I can get her dead nuts with that. I am also really green, a bit flinchey :eek: All in due time, right? After all, she's a .44

Well, for what it's worth to you all, that's my two cents. I'll be heading out again soon and I will report back.

Good shooting,

Tom.

·
Registered
593 Posts
336SS said:
Rono,

Did the 39A's have the REP Proof on the Right side of the Barrel?

My 65 39A has the JM stamp on the right side of the barrel right against the receiver. Very crisp stamp.

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
The older Marlins did have the JM proofmark on the right side of the barrel.

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
tom344 said:
Hello,

I just purchased my first rifle, a '94 in .44, her name is Gertrude and I am in love!!!

It's all Hickok45's fault, thank you sir!

She has the REP mark on the barrel with an S next to it and the serial on the receiver 9108XXXX. From what I have read in this forum, I'm thinkin the receiver was made right here in CT but the rest by Remington. The walnut doesn't seem to be as nice as some of the photos I've seen, though I would never say that in front of her. :p

A buddy of mine and I went out yesterday and ran a hundred or so rounds through her, I had no problems at all. Nice and smooth. I tried Ultramax, Winchester white box, and Hornady Leverevolution. All of them cycled well, the Hornady's were mint.
The one thing that I couldn't figure out is that the the gun seems to shoot low right no matter what. I'm waiting for my Skinner sights and hope I can get her dead nuts with that. I am also really green, a bit flinchey :eek: All in due time, right? After all, she's a .44

Well, for what it's worth to you all, that's my two cents. I'll be heading out again soon and I will report back.

Good shooting,

Tom.
Tom, good to hear you got a good one, the 1894 is a whole lotta fun, my personal favorite!
Yeah, blame it on Hickok45, who could resist after watching his Marlin levergun videos!
And welcome to the group! :)

·
Premium Member
1,698 Posts
I guess this counts as a positive experience. I bought my .338MX last summer and after a box and a half of rounds the extraction progressively got worse. The problem was a rough chamber. I sent it to Remington thru their recommended gunsmith in KY and they replaced the barrel and fixed the problem. I never had a problem with accuracy, both barrels shot very well out to 300 yards. I don't know if the original barrel was JM stamped or not but the new one is REP stamped. I know that I had a problem out of the box but they fixed it for me. I would count that as a positive experience, Lonnie.

·
Team 45-70 Big Buck Contest Winner 2012
1,078 Posts
I have a REP proof 338MX that I bought last month. The serial number is 9104xxxx, so I'm guessing the receiver was made in CT.

The action was a little stiff but after I cleaned it up good and removed some rough spots with a very light stoning, it is quite slick. I have cycled through a magazine of Hornady factory rounds, several times, and it works great every time. The wood on this rifle is better that my 93xxxxxx 308MX ;D

The barrel appears to be straight to my untrained eye ;) I posted a pic in another thread, look it up...

I have NOT shot the rifle yet as I'm trying to save enough $$$s to put a good scope on it plus I don't have easy access to a place to shoot.

I think this is a good Remington made gun, time will tell.

-chris

·
Banned
94 Posts
I've been sitting here for five minutes trying to figure out what to say, here goes.. I bought two NIB 1895's (STBL and GS 45-70). One after inspection was ok--- function, fit and finish acceptable for a hunting firearm (thats my standard of comparison for my firearms). The acceptable one has the REP (ie Illion) stamp and the lemon (automobile metaphor) had a JM stamp( ie hartford). As I told the customer service rep at remington I don't care if it was made on the moon as long as it looks like it's been assembled by someone who cares about what they produce and it functions. The lemon went back at the companies behest ( a good sign) and as I've stated I will ask for a refund so I can purchase another GS that I have in my hand before the price is paid. The firearm that I had was just plain unacceptable and the pictures we've all seen on this forum are really just proof that when you disrupt peoples lives " s..T happens" and it happens in Illion as well as Hartford. Ford has had major recalls yet they make good vehicles. Toyota has had major recalls and we all know their cars are quality. Million of americans continue to buy those products in spite of the recalls. From personal experience I know it's hard to be understanding when a lemon is in your hands but we do have to give the owner a chance to get their house in order. There are still lemons out there NIB, be careful what you buy. Hey Freedom, Group show us Quality!

·
Registered
849 Posts
I just purchased a New Haven 336 XLR in 30-30 from my local Sportsmans Warehouse.....................BUT.....................while I was there I handled an 1895 GBL in 45/70. It had the Remlin serial # stamped on the left side of the receiver (maybe they did they to accomodate tang sights, but I think it's ugly).
Fit and finish of the laminate wood was actually good. The action cycled as smooth as can be expected for a new gun (not as nice as the 336 XLR, though - that is super slick!) - no hang ups or spots that felt too rough.

If I was in the market for a 45/70 I would have bought it.

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Glad to hear there are some positives coming out of the Remington plant, because frankly, hearing only about the crap is depressing. Maybe it is not all doom and gloom after all. Obviously they have some serious uphill problems to overcome, everyone knew they would. The next 6 months should paint a better picture of the future of Marlin, good or bad, then the last 6 did.
Keep em coming...

1 - 20 of 380 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.