Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought these a long time ago and found them shoved under my reloading bench. They are sealed in plastic and each bag contains 100 bullets. Little white label in the bag says:
285-450B100
.458 cal 458 diameter 350 grain round nose

Bullets are jacketed with an exposed lead tip and there are two crimping grooves on the bullet. One groove is about .20 up from the base and the other is just under 1/2 inch up from the base. Glad I found them (6 bags) as they caused me to buy another 45-70:)

Anyhow, any ideas who makes these?

·
Registered
391 Posts
Well, just a minute while I pull out my handy dandy crystal ball and fire it up. I,ll have something for you shortly.....

Hell Snow, if you don't know there ain't no way anyone else is going to know. Unidentified bags with vaguely identified contents..... Sounds like repackaged bulk bullets. Where did you get them?

I'd sure as shootin' be verifying the diameter and weights of those bullets before working up some loads, and then proceed accordingly.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have no idea where I bought them. But I was thinking they might be Remington bulk packed. And I'll have to disagree with you in a friendly way:)
Some one will know what brand they are sooner or later by the label and 2 crimping grooves.

Reactions: jim716

·
Premium Member
6,603 Posts
Did you ever or currently own a .450 caliber rifle?
I have seen boxes marked with that for 285 grain .450 caliber bullets 100 count.
But I am probably no I am definitely not right. Were you able to verify the weight and Dia. of these things.

Reactions: jim716

·
Registered
11,600 Posts
I did some quick poking around and found a discussion/comment online of a bullet Hornady made in 350gr that was supposedly designed specifically for the .450 Marlin velocities. No mentioning of part numbers, grooves, etc., but seeing that "450" in the item number you show above 285-450B100 kind of makes me think it might be related...?
Good luck to you.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
.458 diameter, 350 grains. If I load one up in a case and seat and crimp the C.O.L. is 2.660. And when the 450 Marlin first came out I did own one but sold it off pretty quick.

Beginning to think they are Speers because I read on another forum using 350 gr Speers would result in a C.O.L to long to use in my 1886 unless I used the shorter Hornady brass.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
The 350 Grain Speers you reference are not a round nose. They are a long tapering flat point. I still have the rest of the box. They won't cycle through a lever, but I did shoot a bunch of them through a Ruger No 1 while I had it.
Sounds like some type of custom like a Woodleigh

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Been awhile since starting this thread
and thought I would add a photo as I am in the process of trying to sell these bullets and any help identifying them would be helpful.

·
Premium Member
11,723 Posts
I saw one bullet where Hornady used to crimp groves. This looks a lot like the bullet you have but with one, Does not really matter who made it you know what grain and diameter it is .

·
Premium Member
11,723 Posts
The Hornady I posted is close but not the same. For some reason that bullet makes me think Remington. Maybe the way the top is formed. Again I would not care if I had a gun that would shoot them I would load them and shoot them at paper if nothing else.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Buyer found or are you going to offer them up?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I listed a bag for sale on Gunbrokers with an opening bid of $9.99. The bidders will determine their value. If the selling price is under $50 will hang onto the rest.
Would these bullets be safe in a tube magazine?

·
Registered
254 Posts
The second Cannelure has me puzzled. Hornady and every other Mfg I know have a single. There is a company called Hawk bullets that will make custom .458 RN in 350 gr but I would imagine you would have remembers placing a special request for that second ring. I have no idea, good luck.

·
Premium Member
11,723 Posts
The second Cannelure has me puzzled. Hornady and every other Mfg I know have a single. There is a company called Hawk bullets that will make custom .458 RN in 350 gr but I would imagine you would have remembers placing a special request for that second ring. I have no idea, good luck.
Looking at the Hornady bullets I saw one that they make that has two cannelure's but the bullet is not the round nose. These are older so they could be discontinued as well.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The only thing I remember was they were dirt cheap to buy. Otherwise I wouldn't of bought as many as I did! The lower crimping groove is what throws me off.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts