Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1968 T series Hi-Power in about 95+ condition.
I love the HP and had an FM clone that I shot the wheels off of. I would like to shoot this T series as well but the original sights are impossible to see!
Somewhere in it's history this pistol got a Bar-Sto barrel and I'm betting it will shoot lights out, but I need sights!
Here is my question. In 1968, what style of target sighting would have been found on a HP?
I'm not concerned about diminishing the value of this pistol if I install the correct target sights.
I'm not finding much information on what a target grade HP would look like back in 1968.
Any help? Thanks, Mike

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Composite material

·
Premium Member
All kinds. Enamored of their mechanisms! Worked as an engineering
11,803 Posts
Following. I have the same gun, also made in 1968. I could barely make the sights work 25 years ago when I first got it. Now pushing 70 they're impossible.

Try some weaker over the counter reading specs. That works for me. Bring a straight shirt piece of straightened coat hanger wire with both ends bent up to simulate sights as long your gun sight from rear to front.

AC

·
Registered
884 Posts
My problem is that I wear line-less bifocals for both near and far distance correction. If I look through the bottom part of my glasses or drug store cheaters the sights are OK, but the target not so much. If I look through the distance part of my glasses I see the target fine, but the sights are just a guess.

I tried contacts. Had them set up where my dominant eye was for close work and the other for distance. I'm not real satisfied with the results, neither distance sharpness or close up is as good as my glasses. The setup does allow me to use open sights, but I'd rate it as only fair to OK.

·
Super Moderator
6,359 Posts
My problem is that I wear line-less bifocals for both near and far distance correction. If I look through the bottom part of my glasses or drug store cheaters the sights are OK, but the target not so much. If I look through the distance part of my glasses I see the target fine, but the sights are just a guess.

I tried contacts. Had them set up where my dominant eye was for close work and the other for distance. I'm not real satisfied with the results, neither distance sharpness or close up is as good as my glasses. The setup does allow me to use open sights, but I'd rate it as only fair to OK.
Pretty much the same way here.
Had implants, received prescription bifocals. They didn't work as well as store bought glasses from the Dollar Store. The bifocals are in my desk drawer.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I began shooting uspsa back in the 80's with a HP, great firearm, switched to a gold cup later but it got my start. Check out Dawson Precision i use on my pistols glock and 1911's good sights their fiber optics gather more light than the rest, and the company is great to deal with. I seen they do have HP's in list.

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
I was going to recommend you look up James Garthwaite of Watsontown, PA, a master pistolsmith who specialized in the Hi Power and the 1911, but he is not longer with us, as of 6/30/2020. His work is awesome! I was fortunate enough to have him do a 1911 for me.

I'd still suggest you research his work on line. It will give you many ideas of what is possible with the BHP.

·
Premium Member
16,329 Posts
two things kept the Hi Power from being the perfect 9mm,

the sights and the small thumb safety lever (hard for large hands to disengage)

·
Premium Member
11,803 Posts
You got to remember these were produced firearms for the militaries. It is 'Grand' in it fired a round that steam rolled over their pretty much for show handguns and poopoo'd the .32 and .380 pipsqueak's. The 'Grand' comes to outshine the little calibers that holds nearly double the cartridge capacity. "Decent sights, we never needed no decent sights - we never needed them before!"

So now we need to get decent sights and trigger pull and it will be truly grand.

AC

·
Registered
381 Posts
I had my eye Doctor make me up a pair of shooting glasses with one lens in focus on the sights and the other focused on a 25 yd. target. All of a sudden I could see the sights. I keep them in my range bag and only use them for shooting pistols. I had them put in a heavy duty but cheap frame.

·
Banned
14,566 Posts
There was a sight sold back in 60s to replace rear with same dovetail. It used the factory front. I shot one once and was in my 30s at time. The sight was adjustable but still had lousy sight view. I’m not sure the manf was Miniture Machine? In early 70s I tested a new HP, S&W 39 & 1911 Colt 9mm. Off rest the HP was most accurate but the S&W would beat it offhand shooting because of nice sights.
The Colt was most durable but last in accuracy. I’ve owned many HPs and S&W 39s but only one Colt 1911 in 9mm.
If I had OPs HP I would shoot it off a rest and see if it’s worth expense of sight job. If not I would sell it and buy adj sight model.

·
Registered
5,864 Posts

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Bought min in 1972. Same sights as yours. Had a gunsmith in stall Millet adj. rear and ramp front with a painted orange groove. Still on it . still using it.
It's beginning to look as if the Millets are the sights to install if I want the correct sights for the period.

Reactions: gunscrewguy

·
Premium Member
11,803 Posts
I had a 1911 Colt 9mm I bought in 1977. What a POS Jammed with almost all 9MMs I fed it. Gonned it at the first chance.

Hundreds of round through 2 Belgian HI-POWERS no problems what so ever.

AC

·
Administrator
29,755 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts