Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 151 Posts

·
Banned
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So who is you favorite custom / semi-custom maker. I have several from this fellow. His last name is Schulps. Can't remember his first for the life of me.

Jeepnik

·
Registered
834 Posts
Never bought a custom knife. Too many decent commercial knives at lower prices. I do keep threatening to start making a few myself for me, family, and friends.

Larry

G

·
Larry;

You are right about so many good commercial knives around.
Custom is great so you can have a "one off " or some unique design ..but with the really good commercial houses, there are some fine blades produced.
Many are now computer process controlled as far as heat . duration of soak and other small variances.
Although I do forge knives, I have to admit that a quality commercial maker probably has a closer control on these factors than I do..

·
Administrator
23,793 Posts
My favorite is Cold Steel, followed by Buck. I do know some custom knife makers they do fine work, and the end result is you get what you order. Two fellow tool & die makers at my workplace are custom makers and do them on special order basis both are master engravers and I like them but for a go to knife I'll pick the Buck or Cold Steel.

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
Hello Riflemen-I have a few custom knives but none that are just for display. My price range stops just before that point :) However, I have some knives I use for gutting creatures that require me carrying a second knife because I won't hack through a bone with them. I carry Schrade knives as a rule and just smash the blade through the bones on deer by wacking the blade with a big rock. Most good folders handle this fine and the war scars are cool. I have been using a saw blade more lately though. The Uncle Henry knives I have used harshly have never broke, chipped, or otherwise failed. My hunting pardner uses a Buck 110 with the same results.

Jeepnik-The reason I do not have fine knives like the one pictured is because I love knives so much I can't save up enough money to pay for that extra craftmanship but sure wish I did. Got some more pictures? Life is good, BestLever

G

·
Heck the Marbles I have that are in the $65-75 range are about as high as I go price wise. Now I mostly carry my 3 blade Beretta knife. It gets used more for trimming tree limbs since it has a good bone saw as one of the blades. But the guthook blade comes in very handy as well. Normally I bring the deer out the woods whole when I'm at home. My ATV is always close , so I just throw the ungutted deer on the rack tie them down and come to the house . When I get home I hang them up then gut. The only time I gut on the ground anymore is when I hunt out of the state.

·
Registered
272 Posts
A darn hard question to answer in one word..I collect I*XL Wostenholm knives..Have two Randalls,usually carry Remingtons or Marble's to the field.Pack an ERA James Barber whittler in my pocket at all times..I suppose some of them you have never heard of but dang it I'm 69 years young and they have been mine for many years..Belonged to the Oregon Knife Collectors for years but finally gave it up because the new guys didn't know a good knife from a horseshoe..Schrade old timers are probably as good as made by most cutlers,but they gave it up and now are importing knives,ha ha, from the orient..Uncle Henrys are a big joke.. due to the fact they use STAIN S LESS steel..ho boy.. Please forgive if I stepped on toes with this but YOU asked me..modoc

·
Banned
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
modoc said:
. Please forgive if I stepped on toes with this but YOU asked me..modoc
No toes stepped on. Besides, I wear steel toed boots :)
You are right, I haven't heard of some of the makers you mentioned. Most of my knives aee users. But that particular one just kept calling to me. I have others from the same guy that get used regularly. This one is just to pretty.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Cold Steel followed by Spyderco for utility knives. I still use the green rubber handled Shrades I bought several years ago to skin my game.

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
Mine and Schrade's. The only problem is I ain't retired yet and can only make so many.

Dave 8)

·
Registered
326 Posts
Favorite knife brand:

:wink: Gotta be Cold Steel hands down. Followed by Gerber and Buck. However, the first pocket knife my late father ever bought me for the Boy Scouts was a Case Sod Buster (no locking mech). And I still have the very first Chef's knife he ever bought me which was another Case with a full Carbon Steel blade. Makes a mess out of tomatoes; but holds a edge like nothing else!

·
Super Moderator
7,957 Posts
I have some very early Gerbers that are good and I use some old Case fixed blades for hunting, But I have 5 custom blades from a local SC knife maker by the name of Hal gainey, the man is a true craftsman and produces one of the best knifes I have ever used, he uses ACS 34 steel and puts that stabilized wood in the handles, the knife stays sharp and needs a diamond stone to keep the edges because of the hardness of the blade...Everyone owes themselfs a true custom knife.................Marko

·
Banned
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Gee, I ask about favorite custom/semi-custom makers and most responses were about mass produced brands. Don't nobody like a really good knife made just for them?

·
Registered
327 Posts
stuart mitchell of pat mitchell cuttlery sheffield bought a nice one off hunting knife for second sons 21st its a piece of art........... :D

viv

·
Registered
108 Posts
I had a Dozier K2 for a while, field dressed a few deer with it, a very fine knife indeed. But it left me a little cold in the looks department. Right now I have a Bowie Corp (Blackjack) Trail Guide in 52-100 steel. More of a traditional knife with a stacked leather handle. Hopefuly it will see some action this season. I would love to have a Randall, but, I can get a 444P for the price of one so no Randall for me.

Martin Knives out of Texas are producing some fine looking knives and by all acounts they are very, very well made. Check them out at http://www.martinknives.com/

I think the maker I always go back and drool over, and one day might be able to get is R.J. Handcrafted Knives out of Montana. Check them out at http://www.ycsi.net/users/jolley/knives/knives.htm

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
I haven't bought any custom made knives...for a couple reasons..

1) The quality factory ones are so good...as "using" knives.

2) If I want a special design or shape, I make my own..

I am not in any way disrespecting any of our fine custom makers and I can fully understand why someone would treasure a knife built by or for themselves..

The knives I forge are not as decorative or of such a high degree of finish and do not contain the exotic materials of some that makers in this forum produce..
My choice in forging blades is the 1800-1840 fur trade styles..and just like many of the makers of that era, I use "found" steels..1095, 1560 etc.
I use coil springs, flat springs and assorted other materials.

One thing I do for some folks is that when they have a treasured old car or truck that must be put out to pasture (in the junkyard), I will forge a custom blade for them from part of that vehicle...so they can keep at least part of it !
One of my favorite "found" steels is the cup (race) from a quality tapered roller bearing. I have made some very sharp & durable blades from them.

1 - 20 of 151 Posts