Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to use an XS sights lever scout mount and a set of Skinners. I would keep the scope on a set of quick detach mounts. Has anyone gone this route? What is your setup?

Also, I don't really want to use the XS sights or I'd get the lever rail and sights. I have them on another Marlin, but I'd like something with smaller rear aperture.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I have a Texan set up the the complete XS system (open sights and scope base), and I have the .191" threaded aperature in the rear sight from Brownells. I don't think that Brownell's catalogs this item any longer, however, I think you can still get them from XS. Anyway, you can screw in your choice of aperatures into the standard threaded .191" ghost ring as long as it is a long shank aperature. This might be what you're looking for. I do have Skinner sights on another rifle. I'm sure either will work to be able to see over the scout base.

I do have a Leupold Scout scope mounted in Leupold QRW rings, and it all works well together.

Since I've done this to the rifle, I find myself using it less and less, and reaching for something with either a standard scope set up or an open sighted Marlin when I reach into the safe for a rifle. I'll know I'll get flamed for this, but it just don't feel right to me.

One of these days, I'll probably pull off the scope and base, and just go back to the XS open sights, only.

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I doubt you'd get flamed around here. We all like different setups, that's why Marlin makes so many of them. ;) Thanks for the feedback. If you do end up selling the rail/scope/mounts, let me know as I'm interested in that setup.

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts
I have a '03 336Y set up with an XS scout mount, Leupold scout scope, Leupold QRW rings
and a Skinner Lo-Pro peep for back up.

·
Premium Member
7,694 Posts
You lookin for somethin like this?

Skinner front and rear sights. XS mount with Leupold scope. Leupold QRW rings.

·
Premium Member
7,694 Posts
Yes!! Works as it should. Like you I realy don't use the peeps. They are there just in case............. 8)

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts
marlin_james said:
six_gunz- what front sight are you using? Do you have any pics of your rifle?
Factory front sight.....

·
Registered
137 Posts
Gater: What is the Leupold scope in those pix. I just got an 1895GS and basically want to set it up just like yours.

·
Premium Member
7,694 Posts
Athanasor said:
Gater: What is the Leupold scope in those pix. I just got an 1895GS and basically want to set it up just like yours.

That is A Leupold M8 IER 2.5 I think it is the same as the Leupold Scout.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Thanx for the info.

·
Registered
307 Posts
marlin_james said:
I'd like to use an XS sights lever scout mount and a set of Skinners. I would keep the scope on a set of quick detach mounts. Has anyone gone this route? What is your setup?
I went that exact route on my 444 and LOVE the setup. Works great.

·
Registered
307 Posts
marlin_james said:
Which sights and scope/mounts did you use?
I have the skinner low pro rear sight with the factory front sight. An XS Lever Scout Scope mount with Burris quick disconnect rings and a 2x6x32 Burris Scope. I really enjoy this setup. It seems to work really well on my 444.
Scott

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts
Gaterskiner said:
That is A Leupold M8 IER 2.5 I think it is the same as the Leupold Scout.
Same exact scopes....coatings may be a little different on the newer FX-II IER's but I've owned them both and see no difference in the two.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts