Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bowhunter outruns bear in Chester Twp.
Man taken to hospital after exhausting chase; officials seek animal

CHESTER TWP. -- The opening day of bow season turned terrifying Saturday afternoon when a hunter --chased through the woods by a 300-pound black bear -- momentarily became the hunted.

The unidentified hunter was approaching his tree stand in the Black River Wildlife Management Area shortly after noon Saturday, authorities said, when he stumbled across the bear, which ran toward him. As the hunter fled, the bear chased him for about half a mile.

Shoots arrow

Desperate and tired, the hunter stopped, turned and shot an arrow toward the bear. Without waiting to see whether his arrow found its mark, the man kept running. The bear, apparently, gave up the chase.

"He doesn't know if he hit it or not," said Mary Helen Cervantes, spokeswoman for the state Department of Environmental Protection.

The hunter eventually made it to a Pleasant Hill Road neighborhood, where he collapsed and neighbors called for help. Exhausted and nicked up by his dash through the woods, he was taken by ambulance to a local hospital.

Cervantes said Division of Fish and Wildlife officers will accompany the hunter back to his tree stand today, where they hope to find the bear that chased him. The agency doesn't plan to set a trap, however, for fear of catching the wrong animal.

If the bear is captured, Cervantes said, its aggressive behavior toward a human most likely means it will be classified a Category 1 bear and will be destroyed.

"If this bear was chasing him for half a mile, we see that as aggressive behavior," Cervantes said.

Along Pleasant Hill Road, neighbors said bears are common because it abuts the 3,042-acre wildlife management area.

"They are less of a nuisance than the deer,"neighbor Alex Vella said. Four to eight deer appear on his lawn every night.

New Jersey's fall bow season for deer opened Saturday.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
I'm thinking the bear must not have been all that serious.....no way a man can outrun a bear.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
I'm not saying he wasn't scared or that it didn't happen. Just that the bear could have caught him if he/she wanted. Bears are very, very fast.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
tubbythetuba said:
I'm not saying he wasn't scared or that it didn't happen. Just that the bear could have caught him if he/she wanted. Bears are very, very fast.
That's why I said the guy diasagrees with "US" becuse I think the same thing you said.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Having faced down a black bear I couldn't see--but could hear and smell at close quarters--I have considerable empathy for his plight.

That said--I had a Redhawk pointed in the direction of the shaggy freebooter (thank you, John Muir) the entire time I was withdrawing from the berry patch and covering my wife's retreat. No one hurt, no shots fired--all good--but damn few blackberries that day! :)

I think the DFG/DNR mantra about "no firearms during archery hunts" is absolute stupidity--one of those administrative fiats that sounds great in the State Capitol, but sucks canal water in the real world. GET REAL--once you jump into the ocean, or step into the backcountry--YOU ENTER THE FOOD CHAIN--AND NOT NECESSARILY AT THE TOP OF IT. For this reason, I don't hunt with archery tackle.

Bears are basically the gang members of the back country--not highly refined, but intelligent enough to sense an advantage if they detect one, not very predictable, and fully capable of pressing an attack successfully if the mood strikes them to do so. My view--remain respectful, but equip myself in their home field to be able to say "BRING IT, BEE-OTCH" and respond as needed to their predatory gestures. So, the back country isn't so different from South Central Los Angeles, after all.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Hee hee hee!!!! :lol: not a lot of stopping power in those bows n arrows!!! :lol: :lol:

My buddy stalked a nice buck with a bow and after hunting it for quite some time, one evening he placed an arrow into the unsuspecting buck. Buddy waited for the deer to bleed out and gave it some time before claiming his prize. Right on. As he followed the blood trail he heard some noise in the bush as he figured the deer hadn't expired yet. The noise grew louder until he saw that a large bear had actully stollen his buck and the noise was that of the bear breaking the animal open and eating it. The bear gave some aggresive indications that the hunter wasen't wanted and my friend looked at his bow, then at the bear, and walked home.

I LMAO every time I hear the story!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts