Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Once many years ago at a National Trappers Association National Convention(basically every trapper in north america goes) I ran across a few good old boys roasting a beaver. Asked them about it and they said I could try some, and of course I accepted and took a hunk. Best "exotic" meat I ever had! Wish I could get some good recipies for beaver though.Any recipie would be nice, or your beaver eating experiences :lol:
THanks, Rudy

·
Registered
288 Posts
What does that stuff taste like? Kinda reminds me of eating a porcupine or something, which my dad and uncle had to do once and it didn't get rave reviews.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Here's one for BBQ'd beaver that's fairly tasty. Try muskrat also, kind of like a big squirrel.. every bit as good as beaver! Miss Nomer, it's my understanding porcupine aren't worth the effort to try and make palatable unless out of necessity, but then there's no accounting for taste.

1 lb beaver meat
2 med onions diced
1 x celery stalk diced
2 tbl Worchestershire sauce
2 tbl brown sugar
1 tbl prepared mustard
1 cup catsup
1 cup water
2 tbl vinegar
1 tbl lemon juice
1/4 tsp red pepper

Thinly slice meat across grain. Brown meat with onion and celery. Add remaining ingredients and simmer for 1 hour.

·
Registered
288 Posts
It was out of necessity. My dad told the story long ago, they were holing up in a cabin for a night and they had to kill a porcupine to eat.

Your recipe sounds like it would make any kinda meat taste good.

Is a muskrat like a marmot? We have marmots up here.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
I can't give away the seceret family recipy but we have an old saying here. Save a cow eat a beaver!! :wink: :)

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
Seabass,
Around here we replace the cow word with tree :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll: :roll: :roll:

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Seabass said:
I can't give away the seceret family recipy but we have an old saying here. Save a cow eat a beaver!! :wink: :)
I won't say it, I won't say it, I won't say it....... :shock: :lol:

·
Registered
135 Posts
mommick, all sorts of inappropriate comments come to mind. :D

·
Registered
688 Posts
Remove all fat and cut any sort of meat into small cubes. Sprinkle with garlic powder and/or black pepper to taste. Marinate in soy sauce. Pour small amount of sesame oil in fry pan or wok. Stir fry meat (with vegetables if you must) and serve over steamed rice.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Almost anything is good marinated for 12 hours in Italian Oil salad dressing, then grilled.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Hobie said:
Remove all fat and cut any sort of meat into small cubes. Sprinkle with garlic powder and/or black pepper to taste. Marinate in soy sauce. Pour small amount of sesame oil in fry pan or wok. Stir fry meat (with vegetables if you must) and serve over steamed rice.
I rub the sesame oil (brown, not clear) into all my meat before cooking....did you forget ginger and a very little little sugar?

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Next up: Possum! :lol:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts