Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which do you favor when hunting deer?

What do you think about using H322 to reload both?

Thanks for your fellowship :!: :!:

Sav

·
Registered
98 Posts
I got both and honestly I like both guns but reach for the 444 more for some reason-----no particular reason just that is the one I pick up more often. Your choice of powder should be OK for both---of course check the manuals for loads but only trial and error (loading and shooting) will tell you if it will suit your accuracy requirements. JOHN

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have both. The 444's advantage is the ability to shoot 240, 265, or 300 grain jacketed bullets, or 290 to 400 grain hard cast gas check bullets. It can handle anything from deer to moose. It's disadvantage is recoil and bullet drop which can limit it's range, especially with heavy bullets. The 35 Marlin's advantage is that it can be safely reloaded over reloading manuals maximum. It can be reloaded up to 2200 ft/sec for a 200 grain bullet (20 inch barrel). It is good for deer, black bear, hogs and elk at short to medium range. In my opinion, it has more range than a 444 and at less recoil. In performance, both are dead right there on deer, black bear and hogs. But the advantage swings to the 444 on larger game. So it depends on the type game, your shooting distances, and how much recoil you are willing to take.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I have both and hunt deer with the 35 Remington. Mine is a Marlin 336CS. Its my woods/brush gun. I like to use it when I'll be on the move so to say. Its lighter then my Marlin 444. I use the 444 Mar. for black bear and wild boar hunting (I haven't gotten either with it "yet"[b/] :cry: ) You can't compare the two as far as power go's, the 444 is a lot more powerful in every aspect, It even shoot's flatter then the 35 Rem. in their "useful range". As far as deer hunting go's, you can shoot the biggest white-tail with the 35 Rem. out to 100-125 yards or so and if you do your part (shot placement) the 35 Rem. will do its part (venison in the frig). A lot of people use the 35 Rem. for black bear and wild boar and swear by it. I use my 444 Mar. for this but thats mostly because I have it!

I don't reload yet so I can't help you there.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Gents,
Last two bucks I got were with a 1894CB, 357Mag. But now that I got a 444, I think I'll try that, got a real nice shootin' load worked up with a C257 SWC, air cooled doin' just shy of 1800fps,{:eek:). For black bear, haven't had a chance yet, but with the PA record somewhere around 800#'s,,,,,, I'll definitely be carrying the 444 with a 310gr hardcast with a BIG meplat.
Cheers,
R*2

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I do now, just picked up my .444 yesterday afternoon, looking forward to shooting it. Have decent experience with the .35 336 CS. It is my go to rifle here in North Alabama.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
didnt larry already get rid of you twice? when is it gonna end? I guess one more ban wouldnt hurt though

·
Registered
834 Posts
That rendition is gone also. It's a game with him.

Larry

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
larry said:
That rendition is gone also. It's a game with him.

Larry
:evil: Now how we gonna know how his handloads worked out.......and did they work on squirrl :evil: ................. :wink:

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
He had me stumpped. I actually posted in response to his thread!

He must get his top of the hill jollies in a strange sort of way.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Other then the "Thanks for your fellowship :!: :!: " They were legitimate quetions. When I read the thread I didn't even think of Mortie! I guess I wouldn't make a good detective would I!!! :D

·
Registered
479 Posts
Those were just a couple of clues. Look at his tag line, it is what Larry used as a heading for the "Morties Trailer" subject line.
I also knew from another poster that he is truly from Michigan, and he actually listed that.
His English was much better, probably his true English, and of course the use of multiple icons/smileys in every post.
Ranger

·
Registered
834 Posts
Honor and respect for anyone's, yes even Mortie's, privacy forbids me to give any info that reveals anyone's ID. I will say this.......from where a few of his post originate I would guess that he is a very educated, white collar sort of person. That's just an educated guess from what scant info I have. Not the gospel truth.

Larry

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have neither. I do have a 30-30 and a 45/70 and I plan on using that powder in my 45/70. I already use it in my 30-30 with great success.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts