Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone has a 336 BL. if so what year were they made and did they have any problems. Did they have the JM stamp or the REP stamp. I cant find any info on them but it seems like they were made in the old north haven plant.

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
I have one. It was made in 2009 and I have had zero problems with it. I have a burris scout scope and skinner sights on it.

Edit **Forgot to mention it's a real marlin. I also added a reguler finger lever. I will post a picture later.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I've got a 2009 too with the jm stamp. Haven't shot it yet but it cycles good, wood is nice, and is pretty smooth for a new one.

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
I've got a 2009 and its a sure shooter. Got a deer at 259 yards with it on the 1st of the year. It really is suprising in that its got a fast barrel as well. I love that thing.

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
Yes. Couldn't shoot that far hunting without one. Its a 30mm. Hawke with an illuminated recticle. Huge field of view. Great scope!

·
Registered
461 Posts
I have one and I absolutely love it. It's a JM proofed/New Haven made and the fit and finish is superb. I have a Redfield 2-7 X 33 on a Leupold base and rings as well as a gold WWG trigger. This is by far one of my favorite 30-30's. ;D

·
Registered
16 Posts
i have one, i'm not sure of the year, i'm sure i'd have to look up the serial # and decode it....anyway its JM/north haven. Love the gun, added skinner sights w/ a custom front one from him(custom height),wild west trigger...which is sweet, dovetail blank (which i'm going to remove and fill w/lead). I am looking for a set of good condition matching walnut stocks for it, i heard the ones from the MX series of guns fit. I'd like to have both stock sets, the laminate looks great and is durable, but is heavy and i wish the foregrip was a bit more narrow. If the gun dropped a pound or two it would be ideal. I'm hoping of dropping a bit of weight going to real walnut stocks vs the laminate but i'm unsure of the weight savings if any.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Banditt. I used to have a walnut stock set that was identical to the laminated one on my 336SDG, except for the wood itself. I weighed them and found the laminated set to only be almost 3 ounces heavier than the walnut set, not as much difference as I thought there would be. Ofcourse it would vary a little according to the density of the walnut, but the difference in weight between the laminate and walnut was not enough for me to put on the walnut, so I sold that set. I did buy a highly figured semi-finished walnut stock set from Macon Gunstocks that I have fitted to my SDG. I shaped the buttstock and forend a lot slimmer than the set that came on the SDG and it won't be checkered, which is also how I wanted it. I have finished the wood. This weekend, I will bead blast the metal and put it together. I'll post some pics when I am finished. I will try to remember to weigh my custom walnut stock set to compare it to the weight of the laminated set to see what the difference is there.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have one, bought it July 25 2010 the same day they arrived at the dealer here in Ontario Canada. 4 came in that day and with in 2 hours they were gone. Mine has the JM stamp and was made in the old North Haven plant. I have had zero problems with it, and love the gun. Was my 1st 336 ever. I have not seen any for sale since. Any dealer I have talked to up here keeps getting told they're back ordered with no date or arrival.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I found one online at a store in virginia and it should be delivered to my ffl thursday or friday. Has a 91 serial number and jm stamp. sounds like these were good rifles. hopefully mine will be to.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I purchased 3 of them from Buds Gun Shop, May of 2010. All 3 of them has 91 serial numbers with the JM stamp. One of them is for me, and the other 2 are put away for my kids, when they get older. Mine shoots great, although there was a couple of hiccups from the factory. When trying to put on a peep, I discovered two of the screws were seized in the pre-tapped scope mount holes. The lever was also rough to release, so I followed some advice I found here, and took off a little from the spring in the lever, and now it is perfect.

Has anyone seen a 336BL come out of the Remington factory? Everyone here seems to have JM/North Haven 336BLs. I have a 336SS Remlin, which is just as nice as my Marlin 336SS. I'm hoping that in the near future, we won't have to specify JM or REP - and that they will all turn out to be good. I just ordered three spikehorns (one for me, one for my wife and one for the kids to share), so I have my fingers crossed!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently purchased a new 336BL at a good price so I grabbed it. It is a "real" Marlin but with that being said beware. First thing I needed to do was to get rid of the cross bolt safety. When I removed the but stock the allen screw was not painted over or no loctite or whatever Marlin used to seal them up with was not there. This is the 3rd Marlin that I have removed this safety on and the two others were definetly sealed. Just wanted everyone to be aware of this even if you plan on keeping the Marlin safety in place you probably should remove the stock and make sure the allen screw is sealed.

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
Some nice looking rigs....

What length Barrel do these Marlins have?

Do these Rifles have the Ballard or Micro Groove Rifling?

CKB,

How do you like that Redfield Scope?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Here is my frankensteined 336BL 91 serial # and JM rollmark. At first I took off the laminates and put on a refinished birch set, but I have a walnut fetish so that didn't last long and I found a nice walnut set on Ebay and bought it. Took off the big loop lever was never my thing and put on a regular lever. Got a new Nikon monarch scope coming and it will be on her within a week. It is a pretty rifle now, at first it was supposed to be a utilitarian rifle and it evolved to this. Now it is my go to 30-30. Marksman336 the barrel length is 18.5"

·
Registered
461 Posts
marksman336 said:
Some nice looking rigs....

What length Barrel do these Marlins have?

Do these Rifles have the Ballard or Micro Groove Rifling?

CKB,

How do you like that Redfield Scope?
!8.5" in length and they do have MG rifling. I really like the Redfield. For the money and the fact Leupold makes, and guarantees, them. I don't think you can go wrong. It's crisp, clear, and has a great FOV. Haven't hunted in low light yet but just poking around in the evening behind the shop I think it's great. Made in USA. 8) ;)

·
Registered
436 Posts
CKB
What height are those Leupold rings?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts