Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Riflemen: A couple whiles ago I (we) were discussing converting the Marlin 336 into a 307. We found the brass,a gunsmith who regulary does this conversion, and many of you folks were considering this idea. I seem to remember one or a few that had this done and discussed using the Win. 308 cartridge as a substitute for the 307 cartridge. Rimmed, not rimmed I somehow got confused and moved on. However, I still have a Marlin that is ready for this conversion if some of you folks have had good results with it. The ballistics seem great but I wonder about potential pressure problems. Anyone have any problems after long useage??? I'm all ears and am very curious as to the results you folks had. If I remember right a riflesmith named Nueman was the man most used for the conversion. How about helping a Marlin fellow out. Thanks and enjoy the spring through fall hunting, Bestlever

·
Registered
479 Posts
Hey buddy, it was Nonneman rather than Neumann, I just don't know where I put the contact info.
I know of at least one person that had it done and loved it.
So far as I know, the action of the 336 will handle everything the 307 has got and more.
The conversion would not be done if it were dangerous on any level.
I believe that the 356 generates as much if not more pressure and the action handles even hot ones with ease.
Go ahead, get it done and give us the full report as I was considering this, but am now having Wak build me one.
Ranger

·
Registered
19 Posts
.307 conversion

Hello all ,new to this thread had one converted by a local gun maker (retired) now. i do enjoy shooting it no problems so far would
consider a new one too.

·
Registered
697 Posts
307 conversion

May pick up a revelation and a westernfield 30-30 in a couple of days. What age rifle is ok to use for the convers ion? thanks, Rick

·
Registered
19 Posts
post subject

the only gun that the gun maker would convert was a 336
marlin . he did make special guns from other models,
but only 336 for .307 t,

·
Registered
354 Posts
I own a 336 that has been rechambered to 307 Win. It will not handle factory loaded ammo; simply too hot, so handloads are your ammo options. All I can tell you is that the reason Marlin didn't release their cataloged 336ER model in 307 Win chambering in conjunction with the 336ER chambered in 356 Win in 1983 is because of pressure issues with the standard 307 Win factory loads. Unless you're like me and just want to learn the hard way, you'd be better off and a lot happier to purchase a 308MX.

·
Premium Member
12,062 Posts
16 years since this thread started.!OP may have moved on by now.
Bestlever - the original poster - was a dear friend of mine and passed on to God's hands some years ago. There's a tribute to him here on the forum someplace - he was a treasured member here.

He had a 336 rechambered to 30-30 AI, and used 130 gr Speer flat nose soft point bullets in it as I recall. He was quite satisfied with their performance.

Regards, Guy

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Thinking that same idea, the 30-30 AI is a more practical solution. Sorry about the loss of the friend. My old hunting partner died with Parkinson's and I never found another to hunt with.

DEP

1 - 11 of 11 Posts