Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Good Morning,

I am looking to aquire another Marlin or two, and the shop I frequent has the following:
1894 Cowboy Limited .45 Long Colt JM stamped but forgot the serial number.
336 - .44 Magnum w/saddlering - AC 1967
336RC - .35 Rem. - AA 1965
336RX - .32 Win. Special - L 1954

All rifles are in excellent shape.
Since I do some armory work for the guy, pricing is negotiable, so do not take the into consideration.

I know I can get two of them, but I need help on which two?

Any help would be appreciated.

What I am starting to do is move toward pieces that stand the test of time. I am a DOD master armorer and instructor, so I get mess with all the wizz-bang stuff. But at 50 years old, my priorities are changing. Hope that does not sound to cheesy?

Best regards,

Sights

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
94 Cowboy & 336/44.....
The Cowboy because, well it's a Cowboy and octagon bbl, and the 336~44 because it's a 44mag...

If I eliminate one for another it would be the 44 for the 32Spl. The Cowboy Would be the pick of the litter for me!

Good Luck
BloodGroove4570

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
You will not go wrong with any of them you mentioned!!!!

·
Premium Member
4,923 Posts
Another vote for the 336 44 Mag for sure, then the 45 Colt Cowboy is my vote. Show us the pics of the ones you settle on Sights!

·
Registered
11,172 Posts
Man that is a hard choice right there. But seein how I want a 32 pretty bad, that would be one of my choices. Well the others I don't know, I'e got a couple 35s and would take another but would like the SCs better than the RCs. I guess I'd probably go with the CB just because I have an obession for the octagon barrels and don't own enough of 'em, yet.

Ok I know buy two and then put the other two in layaway.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Here are my choices:

1894 Cowboy Limited .45 Long Colt JM stamped
336 - .44 Magnum w/saddle ring - AC 1967

The Cowboy is a certified classic. And the Texan w/ saddle ring is headed that way for sure. Those are the pick of the litter.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
First-- 336RX. 32 Spec'l. Seems as if the .32 calibres are more difficult to find as the .32 Spec'l. never was as popular as the .30 WCF or the .35 Remington.

Next, I would ask putting the 336RC in .35 on hold/lay-a-way as the .35 is a popular chambering in Marlins.

Then either the .45 or the .44 magnum.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I'd agree, the cowboy seems like a must, from there I'd say it's between the 44 and 32. The 32s seem to be pretty rare so if you don't think you'll see another soon I'd snatch it.

·
Banned
2,262 Posts
I would take the .44 & the .32...and put the other two on layaway!

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
There were reasons Marlin dropped the 336-44 mag and reintroduced the 1894 in that caliber. The majority could be wrong on that one as a using gun. As a safe queen, it is somewhat rare, YET there are most always some for sale. Think about why?

Cowboys are always good. Given a choice, I would prefer a .44 mag over the .45, because I have .44 caliber handguns. Certainly no knock on the .45- good caliber.

It seems like folks are always looking for .32 and .35. That includes me on the .35. I just had to have one and found a super nice 336C. I have had it four years and have yet to fire it the first time. But what does need have to do with anything?

Bottom line, I would choose based on price and condition. Nice Marlins are not getting cheaper these days.

Best wishes,

Reactions: BFPGW

·
Super Moderator
26,091 Posts
If you DON'T get that 32 WSP--you will be missing out on a very great hunting/shooting caliber--especially if you reload and cast your own bullets. They are harder to find then anything else listed. I would want the 35 Rem for the other Marlin if you don't already have one. If you have that caliber already, I would go for the 45LC.

·
Administrator
23,826 Posts

·
Administrator
23,826 Posts
If you had to limit to two, the .45 Cowboy would be my first pick that would negate the need for the .44 though that is a rare Texan.

The .32 definitely.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.