Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering putting a tang sight on a 336A DL. MidwayUSA has the Lyman for about $10 off right now. Marble's is arguably the "classic".

Any recommendations based on experience from anyone?

G

·
WyoStillhunter said:
I'm considering putting a tang sight on a 336A DL. MidwayUSA has the Lyman for about $10 off right now. Marble's is arguably the "classic".

Any recommendations based on experience from anyone?
I have 8 of those sights, the only problem I have with them is that they don't have windage adjustments . I also have three 336SC's with the Lyman 66 peep sight. And they are windage adjustable :!:

·
Registered
49 Posts
tang sight

I have the Marble on my .38-55 and the Lyman on my .45-70. Lyman looks better, Marble easier to adjust the first time for windage. With Lyman, windage is mostly in the front sight. After sighting in, not a nickles worth of difference between them. Marble has click adjustments for elevation, Lyman has index marks on the stem that work just as well. I can change the elevation faster on the Lyman. Have Lyman 17A front sights on both guns and have no trouble on our long range out to 250 yards with either gun. Both sights have enough elevation still available to go at least to 350 yards, maybe more. Use the .404 high Lyman 17A.

G

·
Masterifleman said:
6pt-sitka These are a litlle pricey but, the nicest I've seen at any price that you might consider reasonable and I believe they include windage.
http://www.smithenterprise.com/1400_Ladder_Tang_Sights_Page.htm
Thanks, those sights look pretty nice and they are about the same price as the Marble's. I bought the Lyman tangs cause they were cheaper and easier to find . Will have to get a Marble's for my 1892 as Lyman doesn't make one to fit :!: Might have to get a Smith for one of the 1894's and see what they are like :!: THANKS AGAIN

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
6pt-sika,
Don't get either of the modern tang sights for your vintage 1892! A period tang sight would be a better choice, and would look better on a gun with some wear. They will also be cheaper than the new Marbles, and not much more than the Lyman. Check out Ebay for vintage tang sights.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to all who replied.

I am in no rush. I have a Williams Foolproof that I should be able to slap on this rifle. Just thought the tang sight might be more traditional a la Lawrence Koller and Frances Sell. :lol:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts