Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Cowboy 1894 in .44 magnum and it needs a tang sight. Which one would you guys recommend and why?

Thanks for your input.

Jay

·
Registered
623 Posts
I have 5 cb model Marlin's all sporting tang sights. All but one are Lyman's. I put a Marble's on the last one I bought and could kick myself for not putting a Marble's on the others. The Marble's sights are built tighter and are adjustable for windage. The Lyman's shafts have a little play in them and some shimming may be needed since they aren't windage adjustable.
With that being said, I have never had a problem out of any of the Lyman's I own. But did have a problem with the Marble's which they corrected with excellent customer service.

C.S.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hello, Use the aperture sight from One Ragged Hole, mounts on the standard folding sight base. You won't have to alter your grip and no chance of eye relief trouble, less expensive as well.
Patch

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Since I posted this question, my wife and I started CAS. I didn't go to a tang sight but rather I picked a Marbles full buckhorn sight. I took the little plate with the notch and hogged it out so it works like a barrel mounted peep.

At the distances that we shoot for CAS it works fine. I also made a bigger front brass insert for the front sight. The diameter is .150. Getting on target is so fast now. I like the set up but it would be about useless for hunting and target shooting where accuracy is important.

JC

·
Registered
133 Posts
I think the best tang sights on the market are made by Montana Vintage Arms they make an exact replica of the origional Marbles flexable tang sight. The quality of thier stuff is top notch. Here is their websight www.montanavintagearms.com go to their combo sights on the home page.

·
Registered
10 Posts
wich tang sight

i looked and thought a lot,about tang sights while waiting for my 1895cb to show up.then i came across buffalo arms .com.i found they sold a smith ladder sight for my marlin as well other lever guns.it's a 3/8's dove tail.all you do is tap out the stock marbles sight and tap in the smith sight.now i'am just playing with difernt hight front sights till i find one that works for me.thankfuly buffalo arms carries the stock marbles front sight in a variety heghts for 11.50$ a pop.(i swear i don't work for buffalo arms co.).with my stock front sight being a 1/2" hight.my piont of impact is to low.now once i get it right, all i have to do is flip up the ladder and adjust the slider to where i need it ( the slider click stops at set intervils so it stays where you put it.).well just thought you might want more info in your'e head.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have purchased sights from Montana Vintage arms and yes they are top notch! But as I posted above, I went a different route and have what I believe to be better, for my CAS needs. For the purposes of CAS, I do not believe you could better the set up that I have for the money I have in it.

I will try to post some pictures.

JC

G

·
Re: wich tang sight

daniel hoopes said:
i looked and thought a lot,about tang sights while waiting for my 1895cb to show up.then i came across buffalo arms .com.i found they sold a smith ladder sight for my marlin as well other lever guns....
Will that sight not work with the factory front?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts