Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I would appreciate any thoughts on what the best sight options would be for my 45/70 1895 cowboy. I will be using the rifle for hunting deer (and hopefully elk) but am interested in getting into CAS when I have more money for all the necessary guns some day. I originally thought I would get a tang sight but I keep hearing that this is dangerous with the recoil on a 45/70 putting it into my eye. How dangerous is this? With a reciever peep sight do I need a taller front sight blade? You can't use receiver peep sights in CAS can you? How much better are peep sights than the open sights the rifle came with? What are some good options for me? Help! I definitely don't want to scope it.
Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Zeke,

I had a Marbles rear tang sight with front Globe sight on my 1895cb as this gun was used for CAS.

This combination did not work well for hunting however. The gun was harder to hold since the tang is where you hold the gun making stalking/hunting even more difficult. With the heavy recoil of the 45-70 the tang sight would be to close to my face/eyes. :shock: Often I find myself in akward positions when hunting and was even hit in the nose once. :shock:

Many people use them though and do well target shooting and even hunting.

I replaced it with a Williams FP and use a Twlight aperature. My front sight is a Firesight (.538).

Much better!

I do not know about CAS rules and cant be much help.

Yes, I found peep sights much better to use than factory open sights.

While the Marbles is a fine sight it just did not work for me. You may also want to look at XS sights and Lyman offerings as well.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
339 Posts
zeke2138 said:
Hello,

day. I originally thought I would get a tang sight but I keep hearing that this is dangerous with the recoil on a 45/70 putting it into my eye. How dangerous is this?
I alway wear eye protection

zeke2138 said:
With a reciever peep sight do I need a taller front sight blade?
I am using a Lyman no 2 with standard front sight.

zeke2138 said:
You can't use receiver peep sights in CAS can you?
Receiver sights not allowed

zeke2138 said:
How much better are peep sights than the open sights the rifle came with?
A lot for tired old eyes.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Zeke- I think most of those CAS shooters' rifles are specialized as in that is all they are used for, a Marbels tang sight on a 12-16 pound Sharps rifle with regulation CAS loads would hardly be a problem. You could maybe put some peep or ghost ring sights on for hunting and have a detachable tang sight mounted for target shooting. The sights at Montana Vintage Arms are top shelf but you'll pay for them. Just my .02.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I put a Williams Foolproof on mine and like it real well. I wouldn't want to shoot a 45/70 with anything over low pressure factory loads with a tang sight. From what has been said, reciever sights are not permitted. Guess it a matter of how you want to use your rifle.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hello, I have a 1894CB.45 and also had trouble with stock open sights. My solution was to replace the Marbles semi-buckhorn rear sight with the Marlin standard folding rear sight and replace the folding pc. with an aperture pc. from( www.oneraggedhole.com ) No more problem with sight picture, no clearence trouble as aperture sight is on barrel not on tang, and it works well with CB style frt. sight. Cost was less than tang sight and no drilling and tapping.
Best Regards, Patch

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the advice. I've decided to go with the Williams FP that screws into the scope mounting holes. I like the idea of being able to easily adjust it for different loads. I guess I'll worry about getting a tang sight if I ever get a chance to use the rifle for CAS.

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
I like the Smith Enterprises Ladder sight M1895 model - CAS legal & can be had with an option peep slider

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Hudson said:
I like the Smith Enterprises Ladder sight M1895 model - CAS legal & can be had with an option peep slider
I didn't know that about the peep option on the Smith...The Buffalo Arms site did not list anything like that..where did you see it, please?

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
Peep sight option

TTT,

I saw the peep option listed once on their website and emailed them asking about the price.

I find their website hard to navigate, (probably my settings), but I can confirm that they will sell the sight with both types of sliders attached.

The 'vee' notch slider is standard the other is added if you order it.

The craftsmanship on the sight is first class. No filing was required to get it to fit the dovetail as I usually find on Marble stuff. My front sight is a .430" tall Marble 3/32" white dot for 50 yd. use with the normal 'vee' presented with the ladder folded down. For use with the peep a 1/16" diameter front bead might be better. Approxiamtely 50% of the standard peep hole is taken up by the 3/32" bead.

I believe Sand Draw Jake uses the Smith ladder. you could PM himfor his take on them.

Regards,

Hudson

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Re: Peep sight option

Hudson said:
TTT,

I saw the peep option listed once on their website and emailed them asking about the price.

I find their website hard to navigate, (probably my settings), but I can confirm that they will sell the sight with both types of sliders attached.

The 'vee' notch slider is standard the other is added if you order it.

The craftsmanship on the sight is first class. No filing was required to get it to fit the dovetail as I usually find on Marble stuff. My front sight is a .430" tall Marble 3/32" white dot for 50 yd. use with the normal 'vee' presented with the ladder folded down. For use with the peep a 1/16" diameter front bead might be better. Approxiamtely 50% of the standard peep hole is taken up by the 3/32" bead.

I believe Sand Draw Jake uses the Smith ladder. you could PM himfor his take on them.

Regards,

Hudson
Thanks! How much elevation can you get.......1000yds?

·
Registered
81 Posts
I agree about not using a tang sight on a 7 lb 45-70.....My Sharps 45-70 has a tang sight on it and using blackpowder loads in a 14 lb rifle makes that tang sight bounce off my glasses once in awhile if I get too close. I just wouldn't want to fire a hot 400 grain load and get my eye dinged good....

·
Registered
31 Posts
Are the standard sights different on the '94 vs. '95 CB? All I know is that I want one of those www.onewraggedhole.com blades for my '95 CB and in trying to decide, went in and looked at my 95 CB in the cradle and the instructions that the one wragged site provides makes it clear that it will not work on my rifle :x

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I have ordered and received an Williams FP sight. Now I need to know how to remove the rear sight on the 1895CB?

edit: well, I finagled it out! Now to take it to the range and sight it in!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts