Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my birthday is coming up and I have already been showed my awesome birthday gift... a mint Marlin 883 stainless. :biggrin: The gun is all original and has only had 4 rounds shot through it. I already have a Henry frontier H001TM (22mag lever) which I have peep sights on so I am thinking I should put a scope on this one. I have to admit I don't know much about scopes so if I could get steered in the right direction it would be much appreciated. Maybe a 4X? I want something that is rugged and durable and not too expensive.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Well..... choices, choices, choices. Your new 883 has extremely clean lines. In scopes, the clean line scopes are fixed power. Scopes with zoom features are longer, heavier, and sometimes junked up with knobs and dials that detract from the overall assembly. The budget scopes in the fixed power category are usually 4 X 28. For a rimfire, this is all you need for squirrel hunting. If you want to do bench/target, you probably want a 3 X 9 up to a 4 X 12. But the cost goes up a bit. Secondly, I think a silver scope is called for to maintain the understated elegance. Look to Burris, Tasco and others in the under $100 price range.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Nikon right now is running a sale on their rimfire scopes. You can get the 3-9X40 for $119.95 if you plan to do some long range shooting or you can get the 4x32 for all around shooting for $89.95. Most of my scopes are Nikons for the fact they are great scopes at affordable prices and come with a lifetime warranty! Good luck, let us know what you go with.

Rimfire Scopes | Long Range Rifle Scopes from Nikon

·
Registered
969 Posts
Nikon right now is running a sale on their rimfire scopes. You can get the 3-9X40 for $119.95 if you plan to do some long range shooting or you can get the 4x32 for all around shooting for $89.95. Most of my scopes are Nikons for the fact they are great scopes at affordable prices and come with a lifetime warranty! Good luck, let us know what you go with.

Rimfire Scopes | Long Range Rifle Scopes from Nikon
But they don't come in silver.....

·
Registered
4,368 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just put a Nikon P-22 2-7x32 on my XT-22, worth looking into IMO, I really enjoy it.

Reactions: cwlongshot

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies. I really don't know nothing about scopes so I need to be schooled. Would a fixed power scope be more durable? I would only be shooting up to the max range a 22mag is good for which is 125-150 yards.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I will be doing "all around" shooting.

Fixed 4x or 3x9 sounds like the 2 to choose from? Not sure on the lens size... 32 or 40? I would imagine 40 would be better as long as it fits the gun right?

All my rifles have peep sights so this will be my first scoped rifle.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I really don't know nothing about scopes so I need to be schooled. Would a fixed power scope be more durable? I would only be shooting up to the max range a 22mag is good for which is 125-150 yards.
Absolutely! that's the intended limit range for these scopes. I just purchased a Leupold 4X for my 336 30-30. That rifle is good for hunting out to 200 +/- yds. Fixed power scopes are lighter, shorter, have a better esthetic profile, don't overpower the gun visually, and cost less. What's not to like?

Reactions: packard

·
Banned
2,803 Posts
Some people automatically think that a junk scope on a blister cart for $39.99 is OK for a 22RF.
The scope is the critical part of any firearm combo that is instrumental in getting the bullet to the target.
I don't go any lower than a mid-level (Trophy, Legend) Bushnell for my 22s or anything else for that matter.
I use variable scopes of between 1.5-6x on my 22RFs.
Junk glass is junk glass no matter what it is on.
I've been leaning toward shooting my ruffed grouse with a scoped 22LR in the past several years because I don't like the idea of injesting or busting a molar on lead shot.
I just line the vertical crosshair on the neck and the horizontal crosshair just above the base of the neck and at the appropriate time squeeze the trigger.
My timing (critical to success) is pretty good and I'm successful 9 out of 10 shots.
You need crystal clear, distortion free glass to make these shots which might happen anywhere from 0-50 yards.
I have a Ruger model 77/22 and a Ruger 10/22 and I wouldn't insult either of these fine rifles with a Barska, Simmons or Tasco piece of junk in a blister package.
Mid-level Bushnell (Trophy, Legend) model scopes is my bottom line for anything.
Old eyes need good glass.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have a Simmons 4x32 on my 25MN and really like it for the price. While it obviously isn't the best glass money can buy, it works well for me at 150yds. The rifle/scope rides around in my trunk pretty often in a cheap soft case and hasn't lost zero yet.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I've had no problems with the Simmons 3-9x that was on my Ruger 10/22.
I could hit a squirrels head at 100 yards. That's good enuf for me.
I also own Leupold and Burris and my Simmons came in a box not a blister pack.

Reactions: ponycarman

·
Registered
240 Posts
I also agree the Nikon RF series is one awesome scope!!

Silver scopes on ''silver'' guns kinda leave many flat... too much silver IMHO.

One requirement I have when I scope a RF firearm is parallax adjustability. a RF specific scope is good, but infinite adjustability is better. Side and objective adjustment rings are available.

One of the very nicest scopes I have bought in recent years is the Nikon P223 in 3X. Just WOW!! I have a 2x7 RF in my sites as my next, hands down no doubts!

http://www.opticsplanet.com/nikon-p-rimfire-2-7x32-riflescope.html

I have a number of Simmons, Tasco AO and SF scopes on other guns and they have all worked just fine as well.

CW

·
Registered
969 Posts
One requirement I have when I scope a RF firearm is parallax adjustability. a RF specific scope is good, but infinite adjustability is better. Side and objective adjustment rings are available.

CW
Regarding parallax. I quote this from the Leupold manual: "Maximum parallax occurs when your eye is at the very edge of the
exit pupil. (Even in this unlikely event, our 4x hunting scope focused for 150 yards has a maximum error of only 8/10ths of an inch at 500 yards.) At short distances, the parallax effect does not affect accuracy.(Using the same 4x scope at 100 yards, the maximum error is less than 2/10ths of an inch.) It is also good to remember that, as long as you are sighting straight through the middle of the scope, or close to it, parallax will have virtually no effect on accuracy in a hunting situation
."

AO scopes to adjust parallax greatly increase the cost of the scope. Since you are budget minded, AO adjustability is not that important for your enjoyment of the rifle.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am leaning towards a fixed 4x...

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I prefer AO on scopes for rimfires. My $64 scope which actually cost me $75 at the time.
Worked great and had AO, mine was black, not silver

·
Registered
240 Posts
Regarding parallax. I quote this from the Leupold manual: "Maximum parallax occurs when your eye is at the very edge of the
exit pupil. (Even in this unlikely event, our 4x hunting scope focused for 150 yards has a maximum error of only 8/10ths of an inch at 500 yards.) At short distances, the parallax effect does not affect accuracy.(Using the same 4x scope at 100 yards, the maximum error is less than 2/10ths of an inch.) It is also good to remember that, as long as you are sighting straight through the middle of the scope, or close to it, parallax will have virtually no effect on accuracy in a hunting situation
."

AO scopes to adjust parallax greatly increase the cost of the scope. Since you are budget minded, AO adjustability is not that important for your enjoyment of the rifle.
I do not disagree with any of your post ACCEPT your last comment, and I could not disagree more with that. Also know that, that is with a QUALITY scope like Leupold.

That does not at all hold water with other cheaper scopes many people use. Parallax is RAMPANT and VERY adversely effects accuracy in lesser quality scopes. You do not need to believe me, look for yourself!

I have probably bought 30-40 scopes from cheep cheep garbage to a Couple Zeiss Conquest scopes and allot in between. (Along with 17 Leupolds that I currently own.) I have worked in the firearms industry, both retail, professionally as well as shoot competitively in many disciplines, for most of the last forty years.

Choosing a parallax adjustable scope (with scopes under say 150-175$) all but completely solves the problem and does so without a large increase in cost.

Parallax can be easily checked.
That can show you in a few minutes what would take me ten times that to write out here.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2011/06/foghorn/ask-foghorn-rifle-scope-parallax/

I have a 4X AO scope on my 795 and its great!

CW

Reactions: Condition 1

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
4x parallax adjustable sounds good. What are some good quality choices for me to look at?

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I still haven't even decided on a few to pick from. I am still stuck between 4x and 3-9x and I decided my price range will be up to $200.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts