Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Which scope would you rather have for a 336ss in .30-30 to use for deer and hog hunting?

• Leupold VX-R 1.25-4x20mm with black finish and Fire Dot Duplex

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking for the ultimate scope for a 336ss. I have four top choices for various reasons, which would you choose and why? This will be used for deer and hog hunting out to 150 yards. Shots at night are possible but won’t be taken very often. Late evening and early morning shots will be taken. All of the scopes are small, low power variables. I'm just not 100% positive which would be the best match for my 336ss.

1) Leupold VX-3 1.5-5x20mm with heavy duplex: I like this scope because at 150yds max range I’ll never need more than 5x. It is small, light weight, has quality glass and optics coatings, and it can come in silver.

2) Leupold VX-R 1.25-4x20mm with Fire Dot Duplex: I like this scope because it still has plenty of zoom and is small like the VX-3 but also has an illuminated reticle for low light.

3) Leupold VX-R 1.25-4x20mm with Fire Dot 4: I like this scope because it still has plenty of zoom and is small like the VX-3 but also has an illuminated reticle for low light.

4) Leupold VX-R 2-7x33 with Ballistic Fire Dot: I like this scope because I like ballistic and mil-dot reticles. It offers a bit more zoom for when at the range and yet the 33mm objective will still allow for a low mounting profile. Also the larger lens may do a better job of gathering light for low light and night hunting.

·
Premium Member
9,465 Posts
I like 2 - 7 X 33 scopes because the 2X setting is just fine for up close and personal hunting, and having the ability to go up to 7X comes in real handy when working up loads and sighting in. The 33mm objective will gather light at early morning and late evening conditions that cannot be matched by any 20mm objective scope. And, like you said, the 2 - 7 can still be mounted low. If I had a second choice, it would be a 1.5 - 4.5 X 32 scope. They have worked very well for me.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I have had TRUE GLOW 2X RED DOTS on my 336ss and 1895ss 45-70 for about a year an a half. They have held up and prove accurate at 100 yards using hornady LE reloads.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
TNWoodsman said:
All of them seem very expensive for a 336. I'd get a 2-7X32 or 33 with a standard duplex reticle.
They aren't cheap. I only have two hunting rifles, one is a 336 in .30-30 and one is a BAR in .30-06. With only two guns, I have no problem putting a nice scope on top of my 336 whenever the timing is right and a decent deal comes along. ;)

Right now I have a standard Skinner sight for it. Whenever Parson comes out with his sight that has an integrated weaver base, then I'm going to set it up for both peep sights and scope use with QD rings. ;D

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Brian in FL said:
I like 2 - 7 X 33 scopes because the 2X setting is just fine for up close and personal hunting, and having the ability to go up to 7X comes in real handy when working up loads and sighting in. The 33mm objective will gather light at early morning and late evening conditions that cannot be matched by any 20mm objective scope. And, like you said, the 2 - 7 can still be mounted low. If I had a second choice, it would be a 1.5 - 4.5 X 32 scope. They have worked very well for me.
I hear you Brian. My favorite scope is the VX-3 2.5-8x36 with B&C reticle. That's what I have on my BAR, it is phenomenal. I've thought about just getting another for the 336 but I kind of like the idea of illumination for a hog gun and I really like the look of the 20mm scopes on a Marlin. I haven't owned a 20mm Leupold so I don't know how well they gather light. Because of this, I've been looking really seriously at #4. That scope should be very similar to my favorite but with illumination for late night hog hunts.

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
I voted for the VXIII 1.5-5x20. The scopes with the illuminated reticle dot are nice, but illegal here - - cannot have NVD, illuminated reticles, or anything that produces an artificial light on big game in SD.

That being said, I have a VXII 1-4x20 on my 336C in .35 Remington. It is about a perfect scope for that rifle - - doesn't shift the center of balance much, and just seems to "fit."

Attachments

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
DWB said:
I voted for the VXIII 1.5-5x20. The scopes with the illuminated reticle dot are nice, but illegal here - - cannot have NVD, illuminated reticles, or anything that produces an artificial light on big game in SD.

That being said, I have a VXII 1-4x20 on my 336C in .35 Remington. It is about a perfect scope for that rifle - - doesn't shift the center of balance much, and just seems to "fit."
Fine looking gun.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm going to go with the VX-R 2-7x33 with Ballistic Fire Dot. That was what I was leaning the most towards before the survey and 73% of you have reaffirmed what I was thinking. Now I just need to make a little money to get a new scope.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
My vote, "None of the above". For many years every rifle I owned was mounted with a Vari-X III 1.5-5x20mm with the exception of two bolt rifles mounted with Vari-X II 2-7x28mm; never had a problem with any of those little Leupold scopes, they looked "really cool and sleek" on all my rifles, and lots of deer were bagged in the process. Then I was "lured" into trying out a Leupold Vari-X III 3.5-10x50mm; what a difference it made in my ability to cleanly bag deer in the thick woods I hunted, and especially during dusky dark/very low light conditions! So all those little Leupold scopes now have a new home; and any rifle I seriously hunt with is mounted with a 50mm Leupold in powers up to 14X. Marlin purists here think I'm idiot; and I'm too old to care.

·
Premium Member
9,465 Posts
I guess you might say that I'm a purist, but I don't think you're an idiot. One has to go with what works for him. If big objectives float your boat, then there's no reason you shouldn't use them. I have a 3 - 9 X 50 Redfield that I bought, and I think it's a rather nifty piece of work. Did I say, "nifty?" I guess I'm showing my age. ;D

·
Registered
385 Posts
I love my old Bushnel post and Cross hair sorry no fancy pic's to go with it :( but I love that scope on my 30/30 and 45/70. But you know the kind with the thick post and a cross hair above it works great on game not so good with my eye's for paper punching.
And Remember A gun is as only good as it's sights be they a Iron or Glass.
I have some fancy German glass on a rifle worth half that of the scope but that Rifle is called Buck stick for a reason! LOL
It's Sighting in Time now and the last few nights have been Cool, ah fall is comming I hope!!
P.S my Dad was the best Iron sight shooter I have ever seen then he tried my scoped guns. Scary what he could do with a scope!! but what he said still makes sence too me. "The Scope works great on long shots or dark woods" I edited some of the other words like poking fun at us boy's for using a Bi pod on are over powered mag's for shooting something as small as a Pronghorn. lol

·
Registered
113 Posts
None of the above? ;D

If you're wanting to stay with the low power scopes and it looks like you're into the moderate scope price range, then why aren't you looking at the Bushnell 4200 1.25-4?

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Bush...cts&Ntt=4200&WTz_l=Header;Search-All+Products

In the mid range variables, I think the best scope for the money is without a doubt a Vortex Viper. I just picked one up myself and it is probably the best scope I've ever owned. This is a closeout deal and you couldn't touch this quality even in the $400 range, much less for $150.

http://swfa.com/Vortex-2-7x32-Viper-Rifle-Scope-P11227.aspx

In a 3-9x40 there really is only one scope you should be looking at...Zeiss baby!

http://swfa.com/Zeiss-3-9x40-Conquest-Rifle-Scope-P608.aspx

Not a big fan of BDC reticules myself. Too many loads and variables out there for them to make sense. Even if they get it right for your caliber and load, It's only going to work with that one load. Electronic stuff is cool on black range toys, but I'd prefer my gear not need regular Duracell changes to keep working.

A good clear, well built scope with a German #4 reticule (like this one) is my favorite and a great choice for the Marlin.

http://swfa.com/Meopta-3-9x42-Meopro-Rifle-Scope-P45967.aspx

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
I'd go with a 2-7x33 as it makes the most sense for the practical range of a 30-30.

The fire dot isn't something I'd be interested in paying for, but that's one sweet scope.

·
Administrator
23,800 Posts
Number 2 but I don't really need a variable on a 30-30, or standard levergun cal, most often I work out my loads with a high powered scope then mount a low 2, 2.5 power scope, shoot a group to see how I am doing with it.

I do like Leupold best. I would look into one of their shotgun scopes for fast shooting the eye relief extended works very well on typical deer/hog rifles.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
swany said:
Number 2 but I don't really need a variable on a 30-30, or standard levergun cal, most often I work out my loads with a high powered scope then mount a low 2, 2.5 power scope, shoot a group to see how I am doing with it.

I do like Leupold best. I would look into one of their shotgun scopes for fast shooting the eye relief extended works very well on typical deer/hog rifles.
I thought about mounting my spare 3-9x40 on it just to shoot groups and then switch to a fixed 2.5x20 Ultralight but think I'd rather have a variable. I keep all my variables on their lowest setting unless at the range or plinking at longer than normal distances.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts