Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pretty sure all the 4" and up are square butt, just wondering about the 4" 66-2 particularly. I got one on the way from a dealer, looks good, but can't tell if it's round or square butt.

·
Premium Member
10,963 Posts
I had a S&W 66-2 years ago........It was a round butt.

Tom

·
Premium Member
5,327 Posts
Then -2 variation of the Model 66 was introduced in 1982 and lasted until 1986. This was the engineering change that eliminated the pinned barrel and recessed chambers.

The 2.5 inch barrel length was built on a round-butt frame, but the 4 inch and 6 inch 66-2's were made on square-butt frames. It wasn't until 1995 and the 66-4 that S&W went to a round-butt frame for all barrel lengths.

In amongst those years and model variations, limited runs of 3 inch barreled guns were produced and I believe they were all round-butted.

Roe

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, no biggy, I just saw a good deal on some stag-like grips. The revolver coming has nice Hogues on it, but I like the old "Magna" grips, especially Stag ( well, not real stag, I can almost buy another pistol for what they are selling for now!)

·
Premium Member
5,327 Posts
Have you looked at the offerings of Grashorn Gunworks...
http://grashornsgunworks.com/index.html

Patrick is a true gentleman, an artist and craftsman of the highest order, and yet his grips are modestly priced, especially considering the quality of his products. He works pirmarily with elk, but has offered grips from moose antler also.

He usually has a number of sets of grips for K-frames ready to choose from, or will make a set to match your request and you can choose the amount of bark you desire...or go with a smooth "bone" look...with or without factory medallions. He will then E-mail a picture of the finished grips for your approval.

I have a few sets from him, for both S&W and Ruger SA's, and each set has exceded expectations with excellent fit and finish.

Roe

1 - 6 of 6 Posts