Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dog keeps trying to fight this ground hog in the back yard and I'm pretty sure my dog will loose, he's a daushound. When I got down to the shed last time they was fighting the ground hog had his head out and I could have nailed that sucker. I have 22's and 17hmr and shotguns. I want to be a little quiet about it though.

·
Registered
77 Posts
What you need are some 22 CB bullets. The best ones I have tried are made by CCI. Remington and Aguila makes them also but the CCI's seem more accurate and hit harder. What they are is basically a 22 short with just a pinch of powder. They go about 700fps and out of a rifle they are quieter than a pellet gun. They won't cycle in semi-autos except for a few like the Remington 550. You can single load them, though. I've been using them for years around my house for stray cats and no one is the wiser. Make sure you sight them in first as they usually strike to a different point of aim. They are most quiet and discreet.

·
Registered
183 Posts
As I understand it, daushounds were originally bred for hunting burrowing animals. Those little short legs were a primary consideration in the breeding effort.

My bet goes to your dog if he ever gets a jaw lock on the groundhog!

The CCI 22LR CB shorts are really quiet.....try them....you'll be amazed on how quiet they are.....not much louder than a pellet gun.

If you have a 39A Marlin, the shorts cycle through the action well.

hoghsip

·
Registered
30 Posts
Silence....

I second the vote for CCI CB's. The CB long is the quietest in my rifle....all I hear is the firing pin fall.

·
Registered
221 Posts
id go with the 17hmr, it not too loud and those G-HOGs can be tough, Ive seen them running with 25 ft. of intestines behind them, only to come to a quick halt with the second shot of my 22-250. tough critters, had another one charge me. what ever you do make sure you make a head shot or vital shot if possible. That 17 has enough power to give you a little le-way. Good luck, BEN

1 - 7 of 7 Posts