Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quality optics more important than just the price.

Will be used at night as well.

Shooting 50 - 100m

Have been looking at he Leupold and Vortex red dot scopes.

I don't know much about these red dot scopes so any help will be welcome.

Cheers!

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
You will need a red dot that will stand up to the punishment that the
45-70 dishes out. The model that fits the best on the SBL rail is the
Aimpoint Micro. Most copies of this will NOT handle the recoil.
I have clones of the Aimpoint and the company that makes them
says not for 45-70 as it will not last.

Leupold makes some great stuff but the red dots they use in their scopes
are too tiny for fast target acquisition.

I personally went with a Leupold scout scope instead of a real Aimpoint.
It works and it's fast.
Leupold Optics FX-II Scout IER 2.5x28mm - | Leupold Optics

Here is the Aimpoint this one sits low enough.

Optical instrument Product Cameras & optics Camera accessory Rangefinder

·
Registered
563 Posts
I have a Bushnell TRS-25 on my 45/70 Handi Rifle. Works great. I have also used same on a 12 ga slug gun.

For nights, I think an illuminated scope might be better. They will help bring in any available light where a red dot wouldn't. I have a Bushnell Elite 4500 on my Marlin GS for bear hunting. It is a 30mm 1.25x4 power with an illuminated dot in the crosshair, and a German #4 reticle. It is awesome.

·
Registered
959 Posts
If you have the mind-set for the red dot sight, see if you can find one with the green dot as well. I use the Bushnell with dual color option (red or green) on my 44 mag. Ruger RH bear hunting in Maine. The green dot is much better at those dawn/dusk times. As C1 stated, do your homework to see if these optics will stand up the recoil before purchasing one, they are fast aiming and accurate with the 3 min.dot, the 5 min dot takes up a lot of the target beyond 50 yds. .IMO

·
Premium Member
4,980 Posts
Biggest issue with the red dots is how high they sit on the Marlin. I tried it on my 1895M in 450Marlin and as you can see, way too high, was impossible to get the thing to be more than 3-4" groups at 35yds...now I need to find a rifle this red dot WILL fit on!
It's the rifle on the bottom!

·
Registered
464 Posts
i'm very happy with my aimpoint micro, it's very light, easy to face and shoot, ihave it mounted very low and it has 12 intesity levels on a 2MOA red dot.
here are some pic's:

Reactions: carlbrosnan

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Biggest issue with the red dots is how high they sit on the Marlin. I tried it on my 1895M in 450Marlin and as you can see, way too high, was impossible to get the thing to be more than 3-4" groups at 35yds...now I need to find a rifle this red dot WILL fit on!
It's the rifle on the bottom!
http://s1285.photobucket.com/user/mazer01/media/P1000220_zps0629d570.jpg.html
Only the Micro Red Dots are low enough to mount on the rail directly.
All the others are too high including Eo-Tech. I have an Eo-Tech and it's
way too high to use.
Very few Red Dots will withstand that kind of recoil for very long.
Aimpoint will, as will Eo-Tech if you could get it low enough, I couldn't.

The Burris reflex sights might but I'd call the company and ask them.

You also want a 2-3 MOA dot as others have stated. The bigger the dot
the faster you can aquire the target but you lose the ability to hit anything
further out. 4 MOA s the most I would go and that covers 4 inches at 100 yards.
It's ok but too big for hunting IMO.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks all for your advice.

My LGS is pushing the
Bushnell rifle scope Red Dot Trophy 1×32, 730132P, Illuminated T-Dot reticle

Does anybody have comments on these?

Cheers!

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
You will find that it's too high to get a proper cheek weld.
For the SBL you need a Micro style and you need one that can handle
the recoil of the 45-70.
I have a safe full of red dots and only the Eo-Tech is warrantied to handle
that level of recoil and it sits too high to work on my SBL.

Aimpoint is your best bet. Most red dots that are copies of the Aimpoint micro
are not designed to withstand much more than 5.56 recoil which is
minor.

I decided to spend the money and get a Leupold scout scope over the
Aimpoint micro which was $200 more than the scout scope!
I like and normally prefer a red dot but you need it to be the right height and
that Bushnell is way too high.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Have you looked into Nikon Monarch African? 1x4 red or green dot. Takes the recoil all day long. They price at about $800. Just a thought. Mine has survived 366 shots so far and it is holding strong. As stated before, most red dots will fail. I have destroyed two standard Aimpoints and it really hurts to lose $400 that way. The new small Tac scopes like the Nikon with an illuminated scope would not be a bad way to go if they can hold up to the abuse. Some of the glass in modern scopes are more than half an inch thick and they even get chipped around the edges by big cals if they aren't made for it. Usually comes down to the look we are after in the end.

-Craig

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Aimpoint warranties their sights for 10 years for non-professional use.
Here is part of their warranty. If your red dot died Aimpoint will fix it for you.
@ years in the ssandbox or 10 years plinking at the range or hunting.
Not a bad warranty at all.

Warranty
Aimpoint guarantees its products to be free from original manufacturer defects in material and/or workmanship under normal use for a period of 2 years for professional or competition use and 10 years for personal use from the date of purchase.
Personal use shall mean: use of the sight in a way that implies less exposure than professional use.
Professional or frequent competition use shall mean: daily or highly frequent use of the sight in professional activities (military or law enforcement) or under conditions that could be compared to as professional.

Reactions: giarc noskcaj

·
Registered
155 Posts
Do yourself a favor and check out the Aimpoint Hunter H34L model.....it's pricey but I found mine for half of retail on Armslist. Used it this past week and of all my sights and optics it is by far my favorite.....target acquisition is faster than any other reticle I've used.....it's that good.

M

·
Registered
936 Posts
If I may include my 'two pence' 'cents' worth the best red dot I have is the Burris AR332. It is fixed 3X magnification has red and green reticule with power variance and will always default to a black dot if power fails. Mine is fitted on an 1894 but the product is made to be compatible with an AR hence the name AR 332. Also there is bullet drop configuration (mildot theory) Mine took me 9 rounds to 'sight in'.There is also an AR 536 5x magnification.
Best, Grovesie

Gun Rifle Firearm Trigger Match rifle shooting

·
Registered
936 Posts
Grovesie I'm looking at the AR 332 as well as the Vortex 3x. You don't find it's sitting too high at all ? I like the look of this combo…Steampunk comes to mind.
Hi. No I didn't find the height a problem. I did require for my eye relief to fit the sight further back on a extended Picatinny rail.
I first checked it out on the internet and bought it from Webyshops.com for $349 as they were the only supplier that would ship to Britain
Good luck
Grovesie

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.