Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently looking at range finders and see they very all over the place. I have seen the Halo XL450 as a good deal but have read reviews stating its only really good over 52yrds. Also I have looked at the Bushnell Truth with clearshot and the Vortex 1000 and 1300. Not sure which one to go with. Anyone have input? I will be using it in the beginning for blind hunting turkey, however I'd like to also hunt deer or boar. The clearshot technology seems good but I can't find one to look at or try.
Any help guys?

·
Registered
504 Posts
i have an older leica and like it, it has a red display that you can see in any light even in the dark.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
I bought a Bushnell 14 years ago ranges to 1500 and its been exceptional.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I'm a Leupold guy period !!!

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
something to think about, do you REALLY need to range something 3/4 of a mile away?

·
Registered
774 Posts
I have a Leica rangefinder that I paid right around $800 for a few years ago.
It works great.
A friend of mine has a Redfield Rangefinder that he paid just under $200 for.
So far his rangefinder will do anything mine will do.
We have been on many hunts together and his has always been as accurate as mine.

I don't like to shoot over 300 yards , but a long distance rangefinder is nice for when my friend say's ( he is 10 years younger than me ) " lets go over to that rock over there ".
Then I can say " well it is 900 yards away , you go ahead ".

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Are any rangefinders made somewhere else other than China?

I read the various user feedback comments... there is a pattern.
The lifetime Votex warranty is a big selling point for me.

I'm only interested in one for long distance target shooting.

Reactions: Robert Heffington

·
Registered
18 Posts
You can’t go wrong with Vortex or Bushnell. Great warranty as well. Sig Sauer makes a great range finder as well. I don’t recommend Leopold rangefinders because I’m on my third one (only because of failures and they would replace them). This last one I got I actually had to buy it at a discounted price or get nothing because they wouldn’t replace or repair my current rangefinder. My issues with the first 2 Leupolds were they wouldn’t range an object up close. Like a deer at 17 yards as example. Then at various distances they were very unreliable. This new one I have has been working great so far out to distances beyond 1,800 yards. When it craps out on me I’m going to switch to vortex.

·
Registered
18 Posts
something to think about, do you REALLY need to range something 3/4 of a mile away?
Where I live in SC Kansas yes. Most of my friends and myself all shoot long range so it’s very important to have a reliable range finder. My range at my house has a target at 100 yds to confirm zero. From there it goes to 500 on out beyond a mile. We also have a PRS Range (Twin Peaks Rifle Club) just down the road.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I went with a Nikon anti shake rangefinder. I love it and works like a dream with my shaky hands.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts