Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an RCBS powder measure and it does fine with the powders like h322,h335,h-110,win 296 and it gets by with viht N-110 but, I can't use it with IMR 4198. It really hangs up and is a pain in the :evil: Can anyone point me to a dispenser than can handle these longer stick powders. Currently I'm spooning my charges out of a cup and then trickling the last tenth grain a stick or two at a time with the spoon. It is working but is rather tedious.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Though it feels like a toy and not a tool, the Lee Perfect powder measure does a very good job with long cut extruded powder.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
I've been thinking of getting a Lee measure to replace my RCBS. It cuts a crunches my 4350 and Re 19 something awful! Tell us how it turns out. :)

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
Hello Riflemen-I have used the Lee Perfect powder thrower for a long time. I have two other makes and the Lee is my "log" powder thrower of choice. It works so well with the extruded powder that when I broke my old one I had a new one in a couple days. Life is good, BestLever

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
I like the RCBS measure. I hold the handle by the whole handle instead of just the knob when I drop long extruded powders. As long as you just cut the grains which stick, without hesitation, it seems to do alright. I know if you try to back off a bit to prevent "crunching" the powder, you will often get substantial variations from charge to charge.

·
Premium Member
18,030 Posts
Another vote for the Lee Perfect Powder Measure. I have two, one for 35 Remington, the other for 223. I plan on adding several more. Extruded powders work just great. Very fine-grained ball powders do not, the tolerances that allow the long-grained stuff to work wind up leaking the little stuff all over the bench. There is no free lunch.

Papajohn

·
Registered
58 Posts
I use the Lee PPM the same way, for "long cut" powders. Otherwise my RCBS is pretty good.
Mommicked, on a tip from a poster at Leverguns.com I tried H414 in place of 4350 - it meters alot better in the RCBS!

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
Just came up from loading 125 357's with 2400, After getting it throwing 14.1 grains it threw the rest + or - less than a tenth for every one I weighed. I weighed every one for a few, then every five & then 10 after I felt comfy. Its the only thing I'v used so I have nothing to compare it to but it sure seems to work ok. Worked just as good with 3031 & RL7.

G

·
I've used a RCBS ever since I started loading and am perfectly satisfied. However I weigh every charge on a scale and add or delete powder.

I just got a like new used Redding BR measure and I expect it to do well also.

I kinda feel like all stick powders should be weighed any way. My two favourite powders are IMR4350 and IMR4831 , they are ALWAYS weighed before being put in the case.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
I have many measures including an original Ideal #5, a belding and Mull and I use an Lyman 55, I rescently spent the money on a measure called JDS...Johnson Design Specialties. www.quick-measure.com

It is alot like a belding and Mull but it does not cut stick powder. The thing I like about it is, once you have it set up (And that is easy by the way) you can remove the measure from its stand and drop the powder right into the cases saving alot of time.

This measure if very accurate and not worth measuring each load.

It is a little spendy though..... :wink:

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
Hello Riflemen-I got a Lyman 55. It's one of the good older ones. Those newer ones from 30 years ago or so I ain't sure if I trust. They just ain't built like the good ones :lol: But what they hey Bullfrog, mine was new once to. Life is so darn good, BestLever

1 - 16 of 16 Posts