Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Depends on which you want more and why? Is it to have a 22WMR, or to have a Marlin (or Winchester)? I have the Remington 597M as my 22WMR and am happy with it, but if you are seeking a levergun (and any levergun as long as it is 22WMR) then which is more available? It's it's just to have a 22WMR, the Ruger American Rimfire is nice too and reasonably priced.

·
Registered
10,228 Posts
I’d probably lean to the Marlin, but would love to have the choice. They are not that common around here.

Reactions: Remy103

·
Banned
8,174 Posts
I don’t own any 22WMR levers.But I own several Marlin 39A and a 1972 Winn 9422.Both are great rifles.The Win has the smother action,the 39A is built like a tank.Overall,both are heirloom quality .Both are very accurate.Comes down to preference.I prefer the Marlin 39A

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
I just acquired a Marlin 39M 1978 and Winchester 9422m 1989 and it's almost like apples and oranges to a certain extent in my mind. The Winchester internals are like a jeweled watch and built like a tank and very well modern engineered. I own half a dozen different 1894 Marlin's though none are the 22mag, being an 1894 it is a classic old school design. My vote would be the Winchester for having only one, though honestly you couldn't go wrong with either one. It would also be good if you could see which one you inherently shoot better, but being that they are both not easy to come by that probably won't happen. Buy both, shoot both and keep the one you want if you can afford it.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have both, I prefer the Marlin, the Marlins are much harder to acquire, there were many many more winchesters 22 mags produce, someone will have the exact numbers produced

·
Registered
25,109 Posts
A Marlin 1894 to go with my '94 .44 MAG.

Gr8rtst.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have both, and while I like the Winchester as being a little slimmer in design, if I HAD to choose I think it would be the Marlin, only because they are much harder to find.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I am wanting to add a 22Mag to my rimfire herd. I am torn between a Winchester 9422M XTR and a Marlin 1894M 22mag. What would you choose if you could only have one?
The fundamental problem with this question is that you're asking .22 fans to choose one, when we all know they'd just buy both.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.