Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I like the 1895GS and the 1895 cowboy
In a perfect world I would have a stainless model with a 22 inch barrel 6 shot mag and walnut stock.
What are the differences in trajectory between a 18.5 inch barrel and the 22 inch barrel and the 26 inch cowboy?

Does marlin do custom jobs?

Thanks for your impending advise.

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
Get which ever one you get your hands on. Trajectory difference will be minimum and I assure you whatever is on the business end of the 45-70 will not notice a difference.

Welcome to the greatest group of enablers.
Get one and you'll want them all. Get a 1895gs and you'll just want all the GS's . So for the sake of not getting any of "my" GS's I'll say get the cowboy ;)

·
Registered
191 Posts
Trajectory difference will be irrelevant to your target, so get whatever you like. Personally, I like short barrels because they're handier.

Luis

·
Registered
266 Posts
A 26" barrel gets about 150 fps more velocity than an 18-1/2" barrel. That's a chunk of energy for a 405 grain bullet, but little difference in trajectory. If you zero at 100 yards, the .45-70 will be point blank (within +/- 5") out to 150 yards. The drop at 200 yards is over 22".

I see "sight radius" touted as an advantage for accuracy. I have my doubts, at least with peep sights or a scope. A longer barrel works against accuracy in two ways. The elevation of the muzzle due to recoil depends mostly on travel time in the barrel - longer barrel = more time to deflect. Secondly all barrels flex to some extent, which affects the point of impact. The same resonance in a long barrel results in more deflection, and poorer consistency from shot to shot. You can dial out the offset, but expect bullets and loads to have a greater effect.

What a long barrel will do is allow more time for the powder to burn, resulting in less flash and bang. The extra weight helps with recoil too. If you are attacked by a pack of bears, a full length magazine for a 24" barrel holds 9 rounds, compared to 6 rounds for an 18-1/2" barrel. Not all .45-70 rifles have a full length magazine, but it's standard for Cowboy models.

·
El Kabong
8,333 Posts
If I got a good enough deal on a remlin cowboy, Id but it. :vollkommenauf:

Id not say that about any other remlin

·
Premium Member
4,980 Posts
Neuman, you need to shoot a guide gun 18.5" vs a 26" cb at 200yds to really get a feel for what the sight difference really is, it is BIG, not saying you can't be accurate, but it is EASIER to make corrections with the longer barrel (and that is with a peep sight). The rest of the differences are neglible (as everyone has stated).

·
Contributing Member
11,599 Posts
What do you want it for?

I own a G and a CB. The Cowboy is sleek, beautiful, chock full of cool, and hangs from the shoulder nicer than any long arm I've ever handled. While it is much heavier than the G it actually feels lighter. That said, I wouldn't want to tote it around in the mountains/woods.

The G snaps to the shoulder like a dream and is great to carry, especially in the thick stuff. I very much like the short mag tubes and think they lend to the snappiness of the gun. Other than aesthetics and "just-cuz's" you don't need six rounds of 45-70 on board.

These days you could probably buy a used 1895G and scope it (or whatever you choose) for close to what a good 1895CB is going to run you.

Longer barrels do provide a greater sight plane but the benefits are largely moot at typical 45-70 hunting ranges.

Have you considered an 1895XLR? You could trade the laminate for someone with walnut off a standard 1895. Or you could get a standard 1895 and have a CB mag tube installed to make it full length. Just some food for thought.

Marlin exists in name only now as all the lever guns are made in Remington's Ilion NY plant. All the Marlin craftsmen are gone. I don't think Remington is doing any custom work on the Marlins and I personally wouldn't let them do any for me any way. That said, you can do a ton of stuff yourself, believe me, and there are some great folks doing some very cool stuff with marlins that can be found right here on this board.

Have a cruise through the links in my signature to get your juices flowing. :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well this is great info, I called Marlin today and after 45mins on hold I selected the call back option and was never called?? I`ll try again tomorrow.

The use for the gun would be pig / bear hunting so I agree the cowboy would not be practical but never the less I still drool!!
So maybe the GS and if I don't like the 4 shot I suppose I could upgrade it to a 6 shot mag later?

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
I got the best of both worlds. I found a 1976, 1895. I got a longer mag tube for the cow boy off brownell's sight. I installed that. Of course I had to cut it to length and cut a new dove tail. But now I have a 22" barrel 45-70 with a full length mag tube.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
i have to agree with mazer on the extra barrel length. i am shooting a LTD II with a 24" octagon barrel and it balances quite nice. cb has the 26" barrel and full length mag tube. mine holds 8 +1, cb holds 9+1. and at 75 -80 yards i can hit an 8 1/2 by 11 sheet of paper with a full mag in 6 seconds free standing. so, if ANYTHING is coming at you shy of an M1A1 or an airborn "warthog" it will be DRT and probably pushed back a little! lol!:biggrin: i would say best bet, if you can handle both of them, let THAT make your decision for you. what feels right in your hands is the main factor.....but if you can afford them both, jump in both feet! you will enjoy them for the rest of your life!:marchmellow:
kurtis

Reactions: dhansen

·
Premium Member
4,980 Posts
jabberwoki look in the MO for sale, there are always guide guns coming up! Guide guns are very quick to bring to shoulder, get on target and let fly. Especially in tight places! You could get an 1895G blue or stainless with a straight stock, you could also look for a "ported" G if you like (I know more choices! ) then there are the Big loops, with the pistol grip. I have them all and honestly it's hard to pick one to go to the range with me!
It's a win win with whatever you go with! Try to find a LGS that has some in stock and handle them if you haven't already and see what feels right for you.
Worse case you could always go to one of these:

AND once the rifle is chose, then the hard part! Figuring out the load out!! This is where a whole LOT of different factors come into play!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well 2nd call and day go by with no response from Marlin!! Makes me not want to buy one of their products!!
So what's the scoop on the earlier stamped models?
What would be the best one to look for in stainless and what would I look for in a used gun?

·
Premium Member
4,980 Posts
I wouldn't bother going through Marlin unless it's a last resort. Now, as to which one? That's a personal preference!
Here's a GBL, 1895G Ported and 1895M ported. Biggest difference is the short mag tube and the fact that the GBL is pistol grip vs straight stock.

I would say either model in stainless would do for you. The "JM" stamped gun are pre-remington rifles the new rifles don't have that they have REP stamped instead. Main thing here is if you can find a JM stamped Marlin you will probably pay more (they aren't making any more of them), but the Remlins tend to suffer from Quality Control issues, and you just need to look them over before you buy it. Check out the "for sale" section here for some great Marlins, or Gunbroker, or LGS. It took me a LONG time to find a Remlin I would purchase. My SBL seems to be well made but don't order one "sight unseen".

·
Registered
473 Posts
Choices, never buy both! I love em both. I would carry the GS hunting but the CB is beautiful. For stainless find a XLR model and you will be in love with it. I have a 444XLR and it is a keeper.

Good Luck, I see a bad case of Marlinitis in your future....

Ken

Gun Firearm Rifle Trigger Air gun

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.