Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it's Fathers Day and if I want something I'll have to treat myself so I'm going back to my local pawn shops tomorrow and buy one or the other. Problem is I want both the 1986 .35 and 90s 45/70. Both guns are in very good condition with the 35 being near perfect. Decisions, decisions, decisions. To many guns, not enough money.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I've had my Marlin 336 35 rem for several, several years(First Marlin I ever owned) and Love it! Its my #1 go to Lever Gun! If you want a All around good deer/hog/black bear Rifle/Brush Gun get the 35, you can always buy a 45-70 later down the line! My Opinion!!!!

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Just my opinion, but I would go with the 45-70. It all depends on what you will be doing with it. The 35 Rem. Is a great round, but you have to remember that the 45-70 will kill anything with a face.

·
Registered
788 Posts
What a decision!! I'm lucky enough to have both so only have that decision to make the eve of the hunt. Both are really accurate and there is something "special" about those big thumb sized 405 grain Remington's cruising down range. If I was you and could only have one my decision would hinge on what my future hunts would probably be. If moose, elk and big bears might be in your plans the 45-70 is the hands down choice. If not then the 35 is the choice. Of course sometime down the road you would have to fill that last vacant spot in your safe/cabinet with the other.

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
Prefer the look of a 3/4 magazine, so would opt for the 1895, and hold out for a vintage .35 336SC or 336A. Seems like all the standard 336 that end up here, eventually get their mag tubes shortened.

·
Premium Member
28,790 Posts
Well it's Fathers Day and if I want something I'll have to treat myself so I'm going back to my local pawn shops tomorrow and buy one or the other. Problem is I want both the 1986 .35 and 90s 45/70. Both guns are in very good condition with the 35 being near perfect. Decisions, decisions, decisions. To many guns, not enough money.
The 35 Hands Down..
You will never regret it.
Ever!
My 35s get used,,killing big whitetails.
My 45/70?
Well" it just gets dusty:biggrin:
And picked on by the 35s:ahhhhh:
Finger Hand Glasses Gesture Thumb
Tree Off-roading Vehicle Automotive exterior State park

·
Banned
2,262 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,367 Posts

Unless you hunt Grizzly bear or Moose what use would you have for a 45/70?...
And even for that purpose I would opt for a 444...
I say go with the 35Rem....Then you will have a honest to goodness close
range deer/hog slayer, and a proven classic deep woods brush gun.
Don't listen to the critics, Man...the 35Rem has serious KO up to 150yds...
And if you want a short mag tube...336's are simple to customize.

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
You can't go wrong either way. We have both, love both, and shoot both. The 45-70 is overall more versatile and there are loads more options to play with reloading. I'm solidly in the "get 'em both" camp, but if I had to pick only one it would be the 45-70.

Reactions: Oberhaz

·
Registered
11,599 Posts
It's all personal choice, but a nice .35 rem at a good price would be my first pick. I don't think you'll be disappointed. I also think it would be easier to add a decent 45-70 later if you get the urge? My .35 rem is probably my favorite lever to use, I will never let it go, and with a little planning ahead having ammunition on hand when you need it isn't a major issue. Good luck to you.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Navaho...
Be careful or you'll have an argument from the 45/70 crowd.
I'll tell you what the 45/70 is needed for...
Pickin' pig snouts through the bung hole end

Flippin pigs over with back gainers with a twist

Whackin' three pigs at one shot broadside

Shootin' pigs through mesquite stumps

Makin' big holes in the mud.

Bustin' rocks

Barkin' squirrels

Giving little boys Big fun with a "Buffalo Gun"

Giving old men big fun with Buffalo Guns.

Watching BIG bullets sail down range, then watching the impacts

Feeding humble pie to range jerks who think their overloaded 44 mags are fierce and accurate...let 'em shoot a TC 45/70 with even a moderate 400 grain load... Tough guys find out they ain't so tough... but the TC is indeed one hole accurate if the shooter does his part. I love it, but rarely shoot it..prefer the .30-30 .

Casting and reloading wonderously accurate bullets

Converting die hard wundergunners from fast high pressure rounds to the slow and heavy rounds of our grandfathers.

I could go on, but i'll leave some for the next guy....

I short,you need a 45/70 and other lever cartridges for the same reason... the FUN FACTOR!!!

·
Super Moderator
26,091 Posts
My 35 Rems are DRT machines--deer don't take another steep after getting hit by that 200 grain round. It has enough oomph to take on a black bear too if necessary. I am lucky that my LGS carries 35 Rem factory ammo--its cheaper than the 45-70 factory stuff. If you already reload then that won't really matter to you. Cost of components will be the deciding factor.

·
Premium Member
6,514 Posts

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
Owning a few of both, my .35's are used/shot more than the 45/70's. But both have their place. Tough call, but I'd look hard at the .35.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.