Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at these two Garmin GPS units, the eTrex 10 and eTrex Venture HC. Which one would be better for hunting in warm summer months to very cold winter months, ATV and truck off road trail riding? I've never used a hand held GPS before. . . . .but I hate getting lost!

Thanks in advance, NYH1! ;)

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
The venture HC has a color screen and can accept maps, such as Garmin topo 100k or 24k. The etrex 10 has monochrome screen and cannot take any maps. For what you want I'd buy the venture HC from your two choices. Not sure what you want to spend, but as we get to Black Friday electronics deals, I'm sure you could pick up a larger screen Garmin such as a 62s or Oregon 450 for a steal.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This will be for Christmas and my Birthday. My wife and I planned on spending $100 to $120. Money is VERY TIGHT this year. And Our three kids will be taken care of first. But if we can swing it, we found the Venture HC for $130, which is the absolute max we can spend. I think the Venture HC would work great for me.

Thanks, NYH.

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
I just got the Bass Pro holiday flyer today. They have the Venture HC gps bundled with a case and the Topo 100k software for $99. i think it is on or near black friday. Check it out.

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
Will either or both of these show the Lat/Lon numbers in full screen so old eyes can read them without glasses ? I'm pretty at ease with using the numbers, I need to walk a property line along a small creek bed. I don't want to have to carry my reading glasses into the woods.
Thanks -
Steve

·
Premium Member
12,261 Posts
I just bought the Etrex Venture HC. I had a Magellan Explorist that I never much cared for. I finally lost it. I'll let you know how the Etrex does once I get it fired up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.