Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which Marlins are the "good ones?"

Long story short, I'm looking for a good stainless 336 action with pistol grip in either .30-30 or .35. I'd prefer the .35 but could settle for a .30-30. What serial numbers start with the Remington made actions that are more likely to have problems?

·
Premium Member
5,102 Posts
Re: Which Marlins are the "good ones?"

They say they are stamped MR at the start of the new serial. Even then, handle it look it over and decide for yourself. Alot of folks on here are all in a stir over the factory move. Probably the same as H&R in 2008, that years' models and into the next year were of questionable build, but as expected new workers become the masters in the years to come. Todays H&R rifles, 3 years after the move are a much nicer and better built arm,as will be the Marlin-Remington guns, eventually. ::) ;D .DT

·
Banned
2,593 Posts

I don't consider the new Marlins to be Marlins, only (m)arlins. Do you want that stainless 35 in laminate or walnut?
What barrel length are you looking for...18 1/2"? Would you "settle" for straight stock? Do you want it with iron sights or scoped?

I may have one too many 35 LTD's for one person's lifetime. ;D

I agree somewhat with this quote based on the H&R's I've seen lately. "Todays H&R rifles, 3 years after the move are a much nicer and better built arm, as will be the Marlin-Remington guns, eventually."

·
Registered
1,647 Posts

Look over any new gun very closely. Make sure the sights are straight, screws look good, etc. A stiff action is normal and will smooth up with use. Make sure the wood fits the metal. Pass on any you don't feel good about. The serial numbers that begin with MR are the ones to look over with a fine tooth comb. Also, some of the serial numbers that start with 91 I've heard have problems.

I really like the 336XLR. I have the 1895XLR in 45/70. I like the stainless, the long barrel and the grey laminated stocks. It shoots good, too.

·
Registered
79 Posts

I asked the same question recently. Look up my post. I got a lot of great information!

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts

gdpolk said:
Which Marlins are the "good ones?"

Every Marlin that I own ;)

·
Premium Member
2,248 Posts

gdpolk: There are still some 336XLR's around for sale brand new. If you have an FFL dealer you deal with , see if they can get you an XLR . Personally I prefer the 35 Rem. but if you don't care it may be easier. Plus they will be made by Marlin.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Jake said:
I don't consider the new Marlins to be Marlins, only (m)arlins. Do you want that stainless 35 in laminate or walnut?
What barrel length are you looking for...18 1/2"? Would you "settle" for straight stock? Do you want it with iron sights or scoped?

I may have one too many 35 LTD's for one person's lifetime. ;D

I agree somewhat with this quote based on the H&R's I've seen lately. "Todays H&R rifles, 3 years after the move are a much nicer and better built arm, as will be the Marlin-Remington guns, eventually."
I'm not worried about stock material. I have another stock that I want to move over to the stainless action. For barrel length I'd prefer 16"-20". I might get a straight stocked gun if it was at a really good deal where I could still switch it out for a pistol grip grip frame without investing too much into the overall gun. I'll be using it with a good Skinner peep.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts