Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's the wkend & I might be able to find a Limbsaver at a 'local' Bass Pro or Cabela's. Appreciate any advice, starting with, "Are they worth $80???"

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Don't know which one you need for a "95", but yes they are worth $80.

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
I installed the Limbsaver model 10102. Fit to the stock is very close, close enough not to fuss with a grind to fit pad. Screw holes were not a match so I drilled/doweled the original holes and drilled new pilot holes for the mounting screws. Now I can shoot Hornady 350 grain at 1900 fps from the bench comfortably.

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
I just put one on my 1895G, I removed the old but pad and screwed the new set right on. There are two sets of holes under the butt pad, you don't need to remove any material and now I can shoot this rifle while wearing a t-shirt all day. I have them installed on my 444P as well and same thing...two sets of holes under the original butt pad...the only reason I could see you'd want anything different...like the type that you "cut" the butt stock to fit is not necessary in the 1895's unless your reach is already borderline too l long. Oh, and I just had my LGS order them for me and they were $40 each. The part# for the pads I put on both my 1895G and my 444P is 10105/10102.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I would pay 80 bucks for an installed and well fitted recoil pad. Remember gun smiths and shop owners have to make a living to. And they are like most things. Use um or lose um. A few bucks here and a few bucks there can really help keep a gun store open.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Well the 80 bucks sticks in my craw some, but they really help. I have the
slip on model. I found it at WalMart of all places, but it is a true Limbsaver,
complete with logo, packaging details etc. As I remember it was less than $30,
they might still carry them. The sleeve will slip on all of my large bore Marlins.
It is not as good a fit as the fixed ones for sure. I do have to recenter the pad
sometimes after 3-4 shots, especially with heavier loads. Just takes a sec
but some might find it bothersome. It does let me comfortably shoot all my bad boys,
without having sunk a lot of money in individual pads for each. It not for everyone,
just another idea for you to consider

Lost's post made me want to clarify, $80 for off the shelf DIY seems
high to me. $80 for a ground fitted one by a gunsmith is a bargin

·
Banned
2,583 Posts
I purchased this "removeable" Beartooth pad that also has several different width pads to add as much LOP as you might want to. Using on my 1895G, 1895M and double rifle in 9.3x74R, I give it a full 5 out of 5 stars. Fast & inexpensive shipping as well. :biggrin:

Recoil Pad Kit - Brown | Recoil Pad Kits | Beartooth Products

·
Registered
255 Posts
Well the 80 bucks sticks in my craw some, but they really help. I have the
slip on model. I found it at WalMart of all places, but it is a true Limbsaver,
complete with logo, packaging details etc. As I remember it was less than $30,
they might still carry them. The sleeve will slip on all of my large bore Marlins.
It is not as good a fit as the fixed ones for sure. I do have to recenter the pad
sometimes after 3-4 shots, especially with heavier loads. Just takes a sec
but some might find it bothersome. It does let me comfortably shoot all my bad boys,
without having sunk a lot of money in individual pads for each. It not for everyone,
just another idea for you to consider

Lost's post made me want to clarify, $80 for off the shelf DIY seems
high to me. $80 for a ground fitted one by a gunsmith is a bargin
#1. This is exactly what I did. Works just as described above.

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
I have the Pachmayr Decelerator pad on mine..... dont know what it cost me as it was part of the Co-Pilot package. If it was $80.00 it was well worth it!!! Anything that saves your shoulder is worth that and more....

Doc

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
I don't know that you'd go wrong in choosing any of the mentioned manufacturer of recoil pads...I have the kick eez on my 1895M and love it, I put the Limb saver (because they were in stock at my LGS) on both my 1895G and my 444P...love'em both...I really didn't pay much attention to how they looked just on whether or not they did the job! They do...I'm sure the Pach's work just fine as well....I fire all my "thumpers" in t-shirts and I never go away before firing at least 40rnds in a sitting and my shoulder is never sore! Now, my 444P PRIOR to putting on the limb saver??? my shoulder was sore for days afterwards and I didn't even fire a whole box of 20!!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts