Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess this is unfair to ask,because the other guns might get wind of it BUT, I promise my lips are sealed. It must lead to interesting stories. My favorite is the early 94 that I had the calibre changed to 45 Colt.It started out as a 38-40 but we think it was a movie gun that was rechambered to 44-40 so they could shoot 5 in 1 blanks without sizing them down to 38-40. Not really dumb if left in the studio,but dangerous if used with the wrong ammo.An old western actor of little note moved here several years ago and it was one that he sold locally.I happened to be the lucky?? owner after the first buyer.I used it for SASS shooting and it has become one that I'll keep for my heirs.
Sooo,what is your favorite and WHY ?? Thanks,modoc

·
Registered
579 Posts
Favorite is a '94 Marlin in 44-40

Had it for about 10 years and it has been a blast. Not hard on ears or pocket book and it shoots just great. Perfect bore,24" rd barrel and full mag. with correct sights. Lyman 1A tang sight. moodyholler

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well Moodyholler,that sounds like a fine, UHH, whatever it is.I guess you are keeping that part a secret.That's OK if you have a reason,stick with it. :lol:

·
Premium Member
1,521 Posts
Hey Modoc -
Took me a second to figure out the above "secret", but Moody put the rifle ID in the subject line - but it's so small, you must have overlooked it - it's a '94 in 44-40.

My favorite has to be a 336-44 Magnum my Dad gave me - he bought it new the year after I was born. The wood has been refinished, and the bluing's not perfect, but it was the first Marlin I ever shot, and it's uncommonly accurate. Since it's not going anywhere, I'm going to go back over the wood and get it looking a little more original.

Shum8

·
Registered
579 Posts
No secret Modoc. JUst Didn't want to overdo it!! I am a fairly modest man. It is a '94 in 44-40 made around 1913. moodyholler

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
You really ask the tough questions Modoc! I'm torn between two in my collection. (of course I love them all!)
My 1881 Swiss butt Schuetzen style rifle, built by Emil Flues in the late 1800's for a judge in Saginaw, Mi. Chambered in .40-60 Marlin, with presentation grade wood, checkered pistol grip stocks, long range sights, and engraved screws. I can sit all evening, and just admire Flue's handiwork, which was done when he was barely out of his teens!
My other favorite is my Marlin Ballard Schuetzen rifle, built about the same time by George Schoyen, of Denver, Co. A .38-55 half octagon, 34" barrel, Schuetzen stocks, with high cheekpiece, checkering, and Helm buttplate, palm rest, long range sights, 8x Fecker scope, and a true joy to hold and shoot!
If I had to choose which of these was the last gun I'd let go, I'd rather wait until I was gone!

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Yeah, modoc, you sure know how to ask a TOUGH question!! :D As far what I shoot the most, it's my 444P. As far as the neatest OLD Marlin, that has to be my 1895 in 40-60 that has a low enough # to have been made the 1st week. It's in excellent condition and just has 'that feel'. I took the rear firing pin out so as not to depreciate it, and now I can't find it! :? Then there's my 36 in 32 spl with a really sweet trigger. And the 7000T that's very accurate & the 1894CP in 357 that goes for long hikes... where to stop? SW

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Hey Hogger,
The rear firing pin is not a problem. All the newer Marlin rears will fit! Just get one for a 336!

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
Well its not so tough for me since I don't own that many. I only have an 1897T, 1895Cowboy, a 27-S .25-20, and my favorite is my 1881 .40-60. That sweet old gun, I shot it today gettting ready for the match on Saturday weather permitting. 28" barrel heavy but steady. I tried a tang sight on it but have gone back to the standard Rocky Mtn sights. I've said it before but John Marlin must have been proud when these rifles bearing his name left the factory. The left side of this rifle is pretty unscathed but the right side of the stock has many small dings from I assume lots of walking or riding horseback through the brush. This was someones working gun once and it show lots of use but also lots of care. I really like the cartridge too at 200 meters I am using the 4th notch up from the bottom setting on the sight so I think I could shoot out to 300 meters with this old baby.

It doesn't have the feel of the original 1895 and I agree with Hogger the
1895 is something truely special. But it was top dog from 1881 until 1886 and it can hold its head up HIGH! I admire the quality of this arm everytime I use it and on Saturday I have every confidence it wil do its part if I do mine.

Geoff

·
Registered
719 Posts
favorite?

i can't answer!
favorite for always hitting the mark=1917 swed,or swiss 7.5
fav to carry=94'marlin 25-20
fav to fondle= my fintlock (smooth feel!)
fav to carry=RIA 45!
fav to dream about deer hunting=93'marlin 38-55

see? it's to tuff of a question! :wink:

·
Banned
81 Posts
I collect and shoot original Marlins. My favorite is an 1895 Marlin in 40-70 WCF. I have seen a few other 40-70s, but this is a 24", checkered pistol grip. Sweet!!!!

G

·
An 1892 in 32 caliber most likely, but I have a big hankering for an 1893 in 32-40 :D And an 1893 in 25-36 and a .............................

·
Registered
421 Posts
FAVORITE rifle

Easy! 1893 Marlin .25-36 just because I like the idea of smaller calibers and longer barrels. Only own three now, and havn't gotten to shoot the 38-40 yet. And, O'Yeah, I love the crescent buttplates that Horace Kephardt hated so much!

·
Banned
398 Posts
This is an easy question! I have an 1893 Marlin 32/40 with a 32" barrel
full mag. You can load this gun on sunday & shoot all week! I have a
Lyman target disc tang sight on back with a Lyman #6 in the middle &
a Beeches folding front sight. this gun is very pleasant to shoot with little
recoil & I have found out that once I have the right load(170 grain gas check bullet & 24.5 grains of Hodgkins 4895) it is extremely accurate gun.
I plan to enter this gun in a few cowboy action matches this upcoming
summer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts