Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's see if I can ask this in an understandable manner... I'm fairly new to leverguns and to Marlins, and have never shot one chambered in anything other than 30-30. And my last lever/30-30 experience was before the advent of Hornady Leverevolution ammo. I read somewhere that the 35 Rem was the round that benefited most from the creation of the Leverevolution, but I don't know if that's true... or even exactly what it means. So here's my question: Of the currently-produced Marlin centerfire rifle calibers- which I believe are limited to 30-30, 35 Rem and 45/70, which offers the flattest trajectory with available Leverevolution factory ammo?

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Current production: .30-30 (w/ LVR (LeVeRevolution) loads)

Modern production: .308 MX LVR followed by .338 MX LVR (with .307 Win LVR close on the 338's heels).

.45-70, .450 Marlin, .444 Marlin, and .35 Remington can't keep up, at all. The boomers and .35 Rem have their place, but it doesn't involve a flat trajectory.
.307 Win handloads get a boost in case capacity and muzzle velocity when using the .30-30 version of the 160 gr FTX, rather than the .308 MX 160 gr FTX, but the ballistic coefficient is notably lower and hurts the trajectory.

·
Banned
16,333 Posts
You're missing the Marlin 444 and 308MXLR chambers 308.

There's also the XL7, XS7 & MR7 in various calibers, but they're bolt actions.
and there's the .338 Marlin Xpress too. Along with .450 marlin

Reactions: maki00 and Sambane

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
As I have not even seen a 308 or 338 Marlin for sale for some time, I think the 30-30 would be about the "flattest" shooting. Personally if I were a die hard lever user and considered that a vital consideration I would get either a Henry or a Browning BLR. I have a 35 Remington and use LE ammo for it. Mostly because I bought a lot of it when it was available and other 35 ammo wasn't. Still does make it much of a longer range rifle, but it has worked within reasonable ranges for the 35.

DEP

·
Premium Member
3,572 Posts
.30-30 would be the flattest regardless of LE ammo. I am not a fan of Leverevolution ammo UNLESS focusing on a clean, full broadside shot behind the shoulder. Others will disagree!

Can you give me a hint as to the need for the flattest shooting round? I don't mind an arc if it is well ID'd on the range with practice. I'd use the .35Rem with a soft point flat nose loaded for accuracy vs speed. If you are talking about needing a flat shooting round for distance (past 200yds) I'd choose a different round and rifle.

Regardless, glad to hear from you and hope to find out more about your needs.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Of those currently produced, .30-30 will be far and away the flattest shooting.

If we start looking into unusual chamberings or rebarreled rifles, .25-35 is the winner. I did some work with a ballistics program that indicates .25-35 LVR is comparable to Mk 262 77gr 5.56x45 NATO at longer ranges.

·
Administrator
23,825 Posts
30-30 is the flattest of them three. LVR is not the only performance ammo available across the shelf.

It does shine if you hand load your own ammo.

Do consider what you are going to hunt, then pick the bullet wgt that will work well. Most cases a 150 will drop any deer sized game.

The 150 will be a little flatter shooting than the 170.

·
Premium Member
5,364 Posts
Let's see if I can ask this in an understandable manner... I'm fairly new to leverguns and to Marlins, and have never shot one chambered in anything other than 30-30. And my last lever/30-30 experience was before the advent of Hornady Leverevolution ammo. I read somewhere that the 35 Rem was the round that benefited most from the creation of the Leverevolution, but I don't know if that's true... or even exactly what it means. So here's my question: Of the currently-produced Marlin centerfire rifle calibers- which I believe are limited to 30-30, 35 Rem and 45/70, which offers the flattest trajectory with available Leverevolution factory ammo?
If you are looking for a target rifle and cartridge combo, your looking at the wrong type.
If you want a robust hunting rifle and cartridge combo, any of the previous mentioned calibers will fit the bill.
Andrew

·
Super Moderator
16,961 Posts
To stick with your question and not a slew of other rounds ....the 30-30 FTX LeverEvolution is going to be the flattest of the three calibers you inquired about.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am not a fan of Leverevolution ammo UNLESS focusing on a clean, full broadside shot behind the shoulder.

May I ask why?

Can you give me a hint as to the need for the flattest shooting round? I don't mind an arc if it is well ID'd on the range with practice. I'd use the .35Rem with a soft point flat nose loaded for accuracy vs speed. If you are talking about needing a flat shooting round for distance (past 200yds) I'd choose a different round and rifle.

Regardless, glad to hear from you and hope to find out more about your needs.
As to the why of the question... I'm just beginning my Marlin acquisitions. I have some models/purposes in mind, and am trying to map out an approach to future purchases, rather than just buying willy-nilly. My first is the 336BL, which I just recently purchased and am thrilled with. Also on my list is an 1894c in .357 mag. My question re "flattest" is relative to my desire to have at least one scoped model, and as such I'd like to have the cartridge w/ the most range/best trajectory. I believe, and have had confirmed here, that 30-30 is the best for that purpose of Marlin's current-production leverguns. The only outlier/question mark I have is whether to include a 35 Rem or 45/70 to the mix. I don't have a need for either of them. I can't hunt w/ 30-30 or 35R in my state- only straight wall cartridges- so I could at least justify the 45/70 from a deer hunting standpoint... even though I think it's overkill... and even though I'm sure the .357 (when I get it) will be up to that task.

Anyway, those are some of the thoughts rattling around upstairs. As for flat-shooting rounds beyond levergun distances... yes, I've already got that covered. ;)

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
The 45-70 is not overkill. Maybe with some explosive bullets it is. But for cast bullets with a large meplat it is nearly perfect out to 150-200 yards dependi g on velocity. You can eat up to the hole with no excessive damage to meat and puts the animal down quickly. You will not regret getting a 45-70.

If you are near NE Nebraska you can come on over and shoot mine if you would like to test it out.

Reactions: DeoVindice

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If you are near NE Nebraska you can come on over and shoot mine if you would like to test it out.
Opposite corner of the state, but thank you. Being a bow hunter, and used to taking deer at 15-30 yds, I automatically think of big hunks of lead as overkill.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Opposite corner of the state, but thank you. Being a bow hunter, and used to taking deer at 15-30 yds, I automatically think of big hunks of lead as overkill.
In my family, we have transitioned from terms like "overkill" and "too much gun" to:
Dead.
Better dead.

Big, heavy, slow-moving chunks of lead result in a better kind of dead. ;)
(Though, we also dislike or even hate .45-70. So you'll have to insert .444 Marlin in its place, for any kind of argument.)

Reactions: Vooch
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.