Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if I should post this here or in the gunsmithing forum. I recently did some polishing on the finger lever plunger on my marlin 336. I took it out using directions from a brownells picture. I was able to put it back together, everything works well, but two things left me wondering if I put it back together in the proper manner.

1.) Which direction should the spring be in? Thicker side down into the lever itself, and skinny side up inside of the hollow lever plunder? Or skinny side down into the lever and thicker part up into the plunder?
2.) Which side does the finger plunder 'pin' go in first by looking at the brownells directions picture I posted? Do I hammer in the side with the ridges into the hole first or the non ridge side first leaving me to hammer in the part with the ridges last to go into the hole?

This is how I popped the pin back out with a filed down 1/16 rolling pin and the same direction in which I hammered everything back together again (habit from 1911 field strips):
wb1009-atb4.jpg

Finger Lever Plunger Pin:
p_550301197_1.jpg

·
Premium Member
10,963 Posts
That's a Groove Pin. One end is "Upset" to hold the pin in place..............

Look at the hole in the Lever. One side will be "Upset" by the Groove(s) in the pin...........

The pin goes in the THAT side of the lever, so that the Grooves on the Pin will enter the Lever LAST.

IF I RECALL, ...............The LEFT side of the hole in the lever will show the Groove Upsets............

Tom

Reactions: Scorpiusb

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I inserted it back into the lever in the same direction I punched it out with the grooves being the last thing to be punched into the hole. I wasn't aware the grooves had to line up to something inside the hole. Was this the correct or wrong direction to punch it in? Should I take it out and make sure the grooves line up to what ever is inside the hole?

·
Premium Member
10,963 Posts
I inserted it back into the lever in the same direction I punched it out with the grooves being the last thing to be punched into the hole. I wasn't aware the grooves had to line up to something inside the hole. Was this the correct or wrong direction to punch it in? Should I take it out and make sure the grooves line up to what ever is inside the hole?
If the pin is tight in the lever, and the plunger works correctly, you are fine............If you disassemble it too many times, you'll either lose the pin or the spring or both, and you'll swage the hole to wear it won't reliably hold the pin thightly.

Tom

1 - 4 of 4 Posts