Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help deciding on which cowboy model to get
I just have to get one but which one?
Idealy I would love one in .35 rem but I cant so either I get one in 44 mag(already have 3 rifles in 44 mag) or 45 long colt( I just started reloading :D )
Not to forget the 45/70.......I just checked one out at my local gun store and what a fine looking rifle but I have a 1895gs and the cowboy model in 45/70 only comes in 24 inch barrel so it makes deer hunting in the thick stuff kinda awkward
So help me out here .......A 44. mag or 45 long colt with a 20 or 22(not sure)inch barrel with NO checkering on the stocks........I hate checkerd stocks.......it just takes away from the classic look
Now I know they made a 30-30 but I've never seen one for sale
I would be deer hunting with it and putting a lot of holes through paper
oh I dont know I guess anyone of them is a good choice

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
Well heck lets muddy the water some. Why not the 38/55?? With hand loads it is an awsome round. I just drilled a nice buck with mine this past thursday. I shoot a 250 grain out of mine at 2012 FPS and that load is accurate. I hunt with mine in the brush all the time and it is easy to handle, I have a Williams WGRS rear sight and a Fire sight on the front. It is some thing to think about.

·
Registered
623 Posts
adk,

It's not exactly a "Cowboy" Model but I have a Zane Grey Cent. Comm. for sale. It does have a 22" oct. barrel. But it also has a brass cresent buttplate, like I wish my "Cowboy" models had. If your interested send me an E-mail at [email protected] and I'll send ya' some pics and more info on it.

Carolina Sorillo
SASS #51811

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cowboy Model

Big Medicine, I am very interested in your load for the 38/55. I hunt and live in the Foothills of the Adirondacks. I hunt the thick stuff with either a Winchester 94 or a Win 64, and leave all the modern stuff in the cabinet. I'm in the process of purchasing my first Marlin and I am looking for a good JFP round to load, instead of factory ammo. Anything you can share would be great. Thanks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
big buck

If you hunt in thick woods I would hunt with the 45/70 as it can bully its way throught the brush to the target. I have the 1895 Cowboy in 45/70 and it is a great rifle, the longer barrel has great balance. Second choice would be the 38/55, I shoot one in a Browning 1885 Traditional hunter and it is a super caliber to hunt with or target shoot. Third choice would be the 45 Long Colt that I use in a Winchester 94 long barrel. As you are hand loading you can load it hot and be better off than the 44 and you already shoot 45 Long Colt. I also have Marbles Tang Peep Sights on all three of the rifles, they are real fast sights in the brush or any where you use them.

Bounty Bill

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
West Canada Creek,
I shoot the 250 grain .378 JFP bullet that Stone Fence makes. I'm pushing it out at 2012 FPS with H335 powder. I'm using 37.5 grains. You would need to start low and work your way up to that. With hand loads the 38/55 can be a real thumper.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts