Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a butt stock ammo holder for my 1969 444 with a Monte Carlo stock. I'm thinking leather would be the best style for this raised butt stock.

Which Butt stock ammo holder do you have on your original 444 or other similar raised comb butt stock?

Wood Tool Shotgun Air gun Gas

Reactions: vt4ster

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
I agree they look good, but are they practical?

Butt stock ammo holders seem like a good way to lose shells. Less likely with pocket carry and probably just as fast or even faster...

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
Thankfully, I have never had a need in the field for excess ammo in a little over 5 decades. Never ran out then but blessed, I guess.
When taking a trip to hunt out of my local area I take a box to check zero on arrival. A few rounds (3) in my pocket give me enough for insurance should I need to fire in case I need help.
I usually don't hunt too far from camp or the house any more and in the mountains, always uphill from my truck! I figured that out dragging a deer that weighed a lot more than me a mile up hill.
A pack trip, or like some of our members out West, it could be an option when going miles into the back country, but I would prefer ammo in my pack.

·
Super Moderator
7,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In communist NY we can't legally travel in our vehicle with ammunition in the magazine. So an ammo holder is a place to keep the ammo with the rifle while traveling to and from a hunting area. It's not about needing or wanting extra ammo, or to reload faster. I have ammo holders on all of my rifles and I've never lost any ammunition from them yet.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
We can't either here in NC, but we are an open carry state so we can have a loaded pistol in our vehicle, or on our hip if in plain view.
I load the rifle when I get to the place to hunt. Extra ammo on my pocket.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Reactions: ballistics04

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I have one on one rifle stored in a discreet location in my cabin in Vermont for immediate accessibility for extra rounds but if I go out and carry I agree that it’s not practical while actually hunting in the field from my perspective. But I don’t think there’s a right or wrong, to each their own. personally I like the looks of the leather but I find it hard justifying the cost and just use one of the nylon ones for the rifle I mention.

·
Registered
155 Posts
In communist NY we can't legally travel in our vehicle with ammunition in the magazine. So an ammo holder is a place to keep the ammo with the rifle while traveling to and from a hunting area. It's not about needing or wanting extra ammo, or to reload faster. I have ammo holders on all of my rifles and I've never lost any ammunition from them yet.
I think no cartridges' in the magazine is common in a lot of states. Same in WA. I have done some minor web browsing for the same thing on a basic 336, Not willing to spend the money just yet.
I personally like the looks of them.

·
Super Moderator
7,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I use the Allen brand ammo holder on most of my other rifles, plus a sling that holds 4 rounds (Butler Creek from Walmart, iirc). That's my setup on my 338MX pictured below.

Air gun Wood Trigger Gun barrel Plant

If I don't find an ammo holder that will fit over the raised comb on my 444, or I don't find one that I like, I might just use a sling like the one pictured above.

Reactions: Ret_Eng

·
Super Moderator
7,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
10,458 Posts
I'm personally am a big fan of Levergun Leather. I have several pieces from him, including several buttstock ammo holders. Chance does great work and is just a straight standup individual.

Reactions: ballistics04

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
I like them. I do not use them a lot. This rifle is not a raised comb but the leather ammo carry has worked very well on this 45-70.

·
Super Moderator
7,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Here's what I have on me 35.

eBay item # 253979226747
Thanks for the info! Those are made/shipped from Poland. Have you ordered from that seller?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Looks like the same one from China on Amazon.

"vsdfvsdfv New Brown ButtStock Cover Rifle Ammo Holder Cheek Rest Padded - Real Leather"

Amazon link deleted by Mod, but search for the above words in quotes and you will find them.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts