Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am debating on which bullet to use for my 243 30-06 and the 300. I have been using Hornady's SST's, but I'd like to know if there is anything better out there? For the 243 I plan on dropping the grains down to about 70g or so to use on small game like coyotes. I know I could go to the websites and read about the different bullets, but they are going to tell you what you want to hear in order to make a sell. So I'd just like to hear from some of you who use this bullet and others.

·
Registered
87 Posts
In 30-06 I really like the Hornady 165gr BTSP Interlock. It groups tight in two different Remington 742's that I own. Both rifles shoot about 1.25 inch groups. I've killled upwards of 20 deer with this bullet. All have been one shot kills. Devastating results. Ranges have been anywhere from 20 to 335 yards. I handload these with IMR 4350 and a charge of 57.1 grains. Hornady cases and CCI LR STD primers.

Been wanting to try the SST's but havent yet. Don't think I can better my load anyway and the 165 BTSP has never let me down.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I've become a Nosler Partition fan & shoot 165Grns in my BAR 30-06. I've gotten best accuracy with the partitions using IMR4831. My odd6 will consistently shoot 3/4" groups @100 with this load and with 180grn Ballistic Tips and 180grn Game Kings as well.

There are some great premium bullets out there, but it seems like they are all compared to the partition. Heard a lot of good & bad about most every bullet type out there; however, I don't think I have ever heard or read anything bad about the Nosler Partition.

firstshot[/img]

·
Registered
957 Posts
Don't overlook the Remington Coreloks. They have been killing game for a long, long time, and are very accurate in some rifles. Premium bullets may have their place, but Virginia ain't it. If you have really big game or really long shots on the menu, you may be able to justify premium bullets, but I can't. 'Round here 150 pounds is a big deer and 150 yards is a long shot.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input. This is what I wanted to hear (the good and bads about different bullets). I posted this on another website and I didn't get many responses at all.

Thanks again

1 - 5 of 5 Posts