Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking either the Speer 400 grain or 350 swift. I have never used either so let me know what you guys think. Any load data would be much appreciated.

Scotty

·
Registered
459 Posts
I have 3 favourite bullets for my 1895GS I would not hesitate to take them to Africa 200 yards + would be my 350gr Swift A-Frame loads @ 2100fps, anything closer than 150 yards would receive either a 525gr Beartooth Pile Driver @ 1600fps and a 550gr Jae-Bok Young Crater @ 1550fps.

If I could only take one load it would be the 350gr Swift A-Frames or maybe the 525gr Pile Drivers who am I kidding I'd figure out how to take all 3... :)

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Speer says their 350grn is stouter than the 400 and to use it on dangerous game, if you have Swift A Frame's I'd use those in a heartbeat over a Speer bullet.

Reactions: M700

·
Registered
561 Posts
Are you shooting plains game only? When my brother and I went to Namibia we both used 308's for Kudu, Gemsbok, and smaller. Our longest 2 shots were 160 and 130 yards, and then the other 10 animals were all under 100. If I went again for the same I would take my 45/70 with Remington 405's loaded to about 1650 to 1750 fps, or maybe a 405 hard cast to about 1500 fps.

If going for dangerous game, those Garretts pictured above would be the ticket.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
430 grain hardcast would work for me for game under 100 yards.
Dangerous game in Africa is generally taken well within 100 yards.
They also have requirements for game as certain calibers are considered
mandatory for use on Dangerous game.
458 Win Mag springs to mind as does the lower power 416 Rigby.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I have used the Speer 400 grain since the mid 70's on game in Alaska and the Rockies. It is a great bullet but made with a fairly thin jacket and meant to expand at lower .45-70 velocities. If I had the chance to go to Africa I would probably choose a stouter bullet.

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
+1 for the Garrett loads.

Reactions: M700

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
There's a guy from Texas (either Dallas or Houston) that took all of the African Big 5 with a Marlin 1985. My brother was telling me about this guy. I'll ask him his name. I think he was using Pile drivers.
I have no interest in rhino or elephant but a cape buffalo would be a cool hunt. One of my favorite lines describing the cape buffalo is "they look at you like you owe them money". Mean animal when wounded.

here's a cool link on the 1895 : http://www.sixguns.com/range/4570mrln.htm

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
sandog, as a old tanker I thank that over kill is normal. Many years ago at Fort Hood I shot a range cow with a 105MM heat round.:hmmmm: It was a accident, at 3000 meters she looked like a PC.

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
Actually, I'd like to have that 700 Nitro Express double rifle they have at the NRA National Firearms Museum at the Bass Pro in Springfield, MO--or the 600 Nitro double next to it. Either would take out anything walking--and their ghost!

·
Premium Member
12,143 Posts
A fellow by the moniker of Mad Dog used to post here now and again. Haven't seen him on here in a while.

He took a .45/70 Marlin to Africa, using 300 gr Nosler Partitions, and did well on plains game. Sadly, Nosler no longer makes those 300 gr .45 caliber Partitions.

Also, visit the Garrett website and look up the Vince Lupo Safari stories. He made several trips to Africa, using the .45/70 and Garrett ammo and killed.... Everything. He went after the big, the bad and the ugly and that Marlin took 'em all.

Regards, Guy

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Beartooth Pile Drivers! Either the 425 grain for most game or the 525 grain for anything that walks. You won't be sorry!

Ron

1 - 20 of 25 Posts