Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Which bullet mold

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  imashooter2 
#1 ·
I'm going to order a bullet mold from LEE,
Do not know which one is suitable for a tube mag.
i'd like a 170 or 150 grainer.
Anybody have any suggestions. I do not want to blow up my gun,..and gas check is OK..in fact,..I'm sort of planning on needing gas checks...Since..in a pinch...it could double in my 30-06.

ok,
Anybody with any suggestions please chime in.
I can't afford any of the more deluxe ones than Lee right now,..so please stay with lee.

#2 ·
The traditional choice for lever guns has a very blunt round nose or flat nose. Have you looked for a used Lyman 311041 ? Most suitable bullets copy that one. One of the things you want to know is the as cast diameter. Marlins that have micro-groove rifling will tend to want a ''fat'' bullet. If you can find one at .311 it will serve in almost every barrel that is nominally .30.

#4 ·
Have try looking in to http://www.ranchdogoutdoors.com/ there is a good sale going on. I have one myself but I haven't use it yet. I did use the R.D. 444 265gr. though. Good molds and you don't have to spend a fortune on the lube and sizing dies or even a sizing/lube press.

T ;) NY

#6 ·
Mine is microgoove.
I almost forgot. I guess it's going to be imperative that my molds drop booolits at least .310 or .311 to start. And then i have to come up with an acceptable sizer.

I guess the next thing I'm going to have to do is slug my barrel.

#7 ·
I now have a question. I'm sure it's been asked before, but I've never read an answer to it. And I'd like to know the answer because it probably applies to all 3 calibers I shoot.

IF you use a gas checked bullet,...does the diameter matter??? I realize that a larger diameter makes a better seal, but, if using gas checks....are you always going to be at least as good as jacketed?????

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.