Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Both are .432, which one do you think is the heaviest ?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,031 Posts
I'll play.....left.

·
Registered
661 Posts
HMMMM... the one on the right has more missing material in the grooves but it also looks to be more pure lead than alloy. I'll say the one on the right is heavier.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Not enough difference for the animal that you shoot with them to know. :hmmmm: I'll play.... Right because I think the one on the left is a lighter alloy and has more prominent lube grooves.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
The one on the right is darker. Darker is more depressing. Happy is lighter. (Or how to misunderstand all reason and still have a 50/50 chance of being correct).

·
Registered
970 Posts
Were they both weighed on planets with identical gravity?:flute:

right bullet looks like heavier alloy, but the one on the left looks like a bore rider with a big nose. A tie?

BB

·
Registered
799 Posts
I would agree with MT Sourdough, One has a smaller nose profile but smaller grease grooves, the other more of a bore riding nose profile but larger grease grooves. Likely they equal out and weight the same.

·
Banned
1,132 Posts
i'm not good at this, but i gotta agree with mt sourdough.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
one on the right has a higher lead content.
It could have just been rolling around on the floor for a couple months. :biggrin:

I have a some 437 gr bullets that were cast with the same WW+2% alloy, but one batch spent 13 months in a metal strainer, constantly getting kicked around on the floor and having stuff piled on top of them.
That 'abuse' batch looks like absolute crap and is slightly oxidized, giving the appearance of pure lead or close to it; while the rest of the bullets look nice and shiny like they were cast with straight linotype. ...But, of course, they're the same thing, that just experienced different 'storage' conditions.

·
Super Moderator
7,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
You guys are good! they are very close to the same weight. In the first post, the bullet on the left isn't but a year old, the one on the right is close to 12 years old, both are very close to the same hardness. In the pic below the older bullet is on the left.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts