Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Taking my Bushmaster 20" hbar shooting next weekend. Just wondering if you fellas follow the military sight in procedure, or sight in as you normally would any other rifle? Only my second time shooting it. Shot pretty well with just a little windage adjustment first time out. (didn't have much time to spend on the first outing). Want to spend some time with it and dial it in. Using stock rear and front sights. Thanks for any input. Joe.

·
Super Moderator
7,962 Posts
I sight in my AR's with open sights at 50yards dead on, that way i'm always on the high side at all other ranges, I would rather miss a tad high then a tad low. I tried the Military 25yard site in, it works but most places do not have a 25yard setup, so you always have to make your own setup, more stuff to lug around going to the range.

·
Premium Member
8,169 Posts
Been a few years for me... But following dialing in the windage at 25 yards, I run the back sight to the bottom, then come back up 5 clicks. Then adjust the front sight up or down to get rounds on target to hit 2" high at 25 yards. Then verify correct windage at 100 yards, and rounds should still be about 2" to 2-1/2" high at the same 100 yards. Then fine tune it at 250 yards. Things should be about dead-nuts on at 250 yards, which if I am remembering correctly used to be the battle sight zero. Flipping to the other aperture should put you on at 400 yards, which again, if I am remembering correctly, were long-range battle sight zero.

Haven't been through the process for many years though. It might be fun to go through the excersize from scratch again.

·
Premium Member
3,477 Posts
I still use copies of my original -A1 25M battlesight zero target from Basic training (1986,) so that would have been for the 55grn bullet. With that bullet, you have even- or high-trajectory out to 250M, where it crosses POA and goes negative. There are newer targets for the M4 (shorter barrel) and the new ammo, but it would get you in the ballpark.

I don't hunt, so minute-of-body-cavity accuracy is what I'm looking for. To hunt, I would probably sight it in traditionally.

·
Premium Member
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks charlie and dwb. I do in fact shoot 55gr. soft point ammo. Am gonna try 25 meter sight in procedure to get battle zero. I will then try it at 100 yards . Should be pretty close, then I may adjust from there.

·
Premium Member
3,477 Posts
fhmusa said:
Thanks charlie and dwb. I do in fact shoot 55gr. soft point ammo. Am gonna try 25 meter sight in procedure to get battle zero. I will then try it at 100 yards . Should be pretty close, then I may adjust from there.
If memory serves, it's about 1.25" high at 100M... but it's been a long time... ;D

·
Premium Member
1,542 Posts
you can find the 25M mini silhouette mil sighter target online.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Thanks for this, guys!
Just got a new low-light front sight, and put my original carrying handle back on. I'd been running a reflex sight for about 10 years, so it needs to be set up all over again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts