Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All of the bad reviews about Marlin made me decide to pickup a NIB WInchester 1885 45-70 and what fun I am having with it!!!

It has a 24" octagon barrel and shoots great.

I am considering buying a Marlin lever in 45-70 and appreicate your recommendations.

new or used?

22" barrel or 18.5"? I think the recoil will be less with the longer barrel but dang those "shorties" look good and I know they are very handy.

Straight or pistol grip?

Thanks!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Don't you mean an 1886? But anyway, look for a lightly used made in North Haven Marlin, they come in a wide variety of configurations. I've spent the last two months shopping for one and just bought one finally. I just posted about it on this forum.

Search here and learn about the serial numbers to look for to get a pre-remington gun and decide for yourself about the grip, barrel length etc. If you're having fun with the Winchester, recoil isn't a consideration.

Good luck...the hunt is part of the fun.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Athanasor said:
Don't you mean an 1886?
Win. 1885 is a high wall browning design. single shot. loads of fun to shoot.

I'm going to agree with Athanasor on what to look for, if you can find good gun shop to go fondle a few rifles that'd sure help you out in your decision.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Exactly - the Winchester and Browning 1885 are beautiful and a blast to shoot.

Question - I have seen allot of pictures on gunbroker with a small white dot in front of the rear sling swivel.

Is this standard from Marlin?

I have having a tough time deciding between the Guide Gun and standard 22" barrel.
The guide gun with full length mag also looks very nice with the black/gray wood?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
762 Posts
That's the TM Marlin Bullseye..

I have a couple 1895's that are hitting the choppin block,, one is a 1996 model with checkering and will have to look at the other one it has smooth wood..

·
Premium Member
13,618 Posts
The barrel length and stock type really come down to personal preference. I have had each and have recently focused on the Guide Guns. Marlin's bullseye is a Trade Mark that they applied in their Walnut stocked rifles (most years). It is not for installing the swivel studs that so many folk think! Notice that Marlin factory installed studs on the Guide Guns are not located in the bullseye.... (sorry about the rant, just witnessed too many Marlins in stores and at the range this week that had the bullseye drilled and a swivel stud installed in it. :()

Personally I think the recoil is less punishing in the Guide Gun straight stocked rifle.

Good luck and I hope to see pictures soon of your decision.

1895Gunner

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts
Any one of them that "Trips Your Trigger" ;)

Personally I'd look for an older one (a real Marlin).........

22", 18.5", Straight grip and Pistol grip are all personal preference......

·
Registered
116 Posts
Buy one of each and your problem is solved. ;D It boils down to what do YOU like? I prefer longer barrels with the straight stock on my levers. I have a Rossi 92 in 45 Colt with a 22" (?) octagon barrel, straight stock. Just picked up a 35 year old 1895 with a 22" barrel and straight stock. In the future I plan to pick up the 1895 Cowboy which off the top of my head I believe has a 26" Barrel, and a straight stock.

But I also like, and plan to get, the Guide Gun. Short barrel with pistol grip stock, though I would prefer the straight stock. But I really like the looks and function of the gun. And it's great for the thick underbrush here in Western Washington. Any way you look at it, the 45/70 is a hard hitter regardless of how long the barrel is.

My preference in the long barrels is the balance they offer when shooting of hand. For me, heavier is steadier. As for the straight stock, for me, it's a little more natural on the "grab" and it's a classic look that I really like.

Buying one is kind of looking for a woman. Be patient and go after the one that just jumps out you, even if you don't really understand why. ;)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Wait...the Guide Gun has a straight stock too!!! There's just so many I get them all confused sometimes... ??? ;D ;D Anyway, that's my point...get what jumps out at ya'.....

·
Registered
277 Posts
First, win the lottery, then go to the nearest gun shop and like someone said, "fondle" all the Marlins you can, then start filling out the paperwork because you are going to want all of them, thats why you have to win the lottery. Or like the rest of us do, buy one, save, buy #2, save some more, buy #3...you get the picture. Good luck with that .45-70 the first time you shoot it it's a HOOT!!!! :eek: :eek:

·
Premium Member
9,465 Posts
I've acquired three Marlin .45-70's, a Guide Gun, a standard 22" barreled one and a Cowboy with the 26" barrel. They're all just a hoot to shoot. I think, of the three, my favorite is the Cowboy. She totally rings my chimes. Not that the others are at all bad. I figure that you just can't go wrong getting any one of them. They will just blow you away.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am thinking about staying with the 45-70 since I already have the Winchester 1885 so I can play with the same ammo.

I must admit I am interested in the 35 remington also especially with the new FTX ammo?

If you already had a 45-70 would you buy another or play with another caliber?

Thanks!

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
I too would be looking for an older real Marlin. I have and love the 1895CB straight stock with the 26" octagon barrel, Now I don't have to sneak up as close to shoot. ;) ;D ;D ;D

·
Registered
32,306 Posts
I have a GBL 18 1/2" barrel, but I have fired longer tubed ones and love them all. So to me it is just a personal preference.

·
Registered
116 Posts
snuffy1 said:
I am thinking about staying with the 45-70 since I already have the Winchester 1885 so I can play with the same ammo.

I must admit I am interested in the 35 remington also especially with the new FTX ammo?

If you already had a 45-70 would you buy another or play with another caliber?

Thanks!
Buy another one. Then another, then another, then a 30-30. ;D

·
Registered
313 Posts
Nothing really to add to this thread, but a question. I’m sure there must be some hickock45 fans here, and I watched his video on the Guide Gun a few weeks ago. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRvCC8ugCAw I want half the stuff he does videos on. Tho I’m not crazy about tons of recoil, after watching the video, the first thing I wonder is how the recoil compares to a 30-06. That’s my question. How does the recoil of the Guide Gun compare to a 30-06? This would be a 1903-A3.

A few days after I watched the video, I was in the LGS, and dang if they didn’t have a Guide Gun sitting right in plain sight. It felt nice, price seemed more than reasonable, but it was Stainless Steel (SS). I’m not fond of SS guns. I could see this gun going on a wish list.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts