Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone

I just want to know which bullet will open up the best on a whitetail from my new 30-30 ,

?? 150 RNCore-lock, 150 gr Win power point, 150 Hornady....?????
any others????

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
94 Posts
1) core-lock
2)Hornady
3)Winchester PP

The power points seem to be real hard but still do a good job when put in the right place.

Riflemen10x

·
Registered
472 Posts
Rifleman, have you recovered many bullets to come up with that order?
I have only recovered 1, and that was from a 150 PP, and was lucky to find it as it exited but lodged in a leg.
Just curious how you came to those results.

·
Registered
979 Posts
For 30/30 ,I've always like 170gr. Cor-Lokts , Never recovered a bullet to examine...never been interested in 150gr. bullets , but that Starfire bullet looks like it may be interesting ! I think PMC offers it ?maybe.

·
Registered
89 Posts
150 grain lethality

Remington's 150 grain core-lockt is a very good deer bullet. It does the job assuming good placement through the ribs. I've personally witnessed a couple mulies shot by 30-06 and 180 grain bullets that traveled much farther than same sized buck nailed with 30-30 and this rather plain but effective bullet.

Winchester SilverTip 150 grain has an explosive performance at ranges closer than 100 yards. I do not recommend this ammo for close range work. But if the distance is 125 yards or even farther, this unique aluminum tipped bullet is a very good choice.

My carbine(s) shoot Winchester 170 grain Power Point more accurate than their 150 grain version. Three years ago, I shot a dandy 3 point buck at about 160 yards using this ammo. He reared up on his hind legs pawing the air like a stallion, then fell over backward. Fan shaped blood on the snow from the exit wound. Never found the bullet, but the internal chest damage was impressive. 300 Weatherby magnum could NOT have produced a more lethal wound channel!!
TR

·
Registered
566 Posts
I think the Sierra 150 grain flat nose may be the softest 150 out there. But I never recovered one as Texas deer are sorta thin and I don't take Texas heart shots. They are of short bearing surface and .307 diameter allowing you to us a bit more powder and possibly reach 2400 fps in a 20 inch barrel. My old load was 32.5 grains of 3031 which is over max in all present manuals. I got 3 inch exit holes with this bullet and splattered a couple of coyotes with it but I read where another guy thought they didn't expand. My use of this bullet was in the mid 1970's so the current version may be different. The current Hornady 150 grain RN is a fine deer bullet in all respects.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Buckeye said:
For 30/30 ,I've always like 170gr. Cor-Lokts , Never recovered a bullet to examine...
Same here.... My Marlin 30AS loves Remingon 170gr Cor-Lokts. I've tried different 170gr and 150gr varieties and manufacturers and kept coming back to the Cor-Lokts.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hi Gcs,

I have shot a lot of deer with all of the bullets above and came up with my conclusion from the wounds.There was also a guy on a board that did a lot of testing of bullets for the 30-30 and he came up with pritty much the same conclusion as I did.I shoot a lot of the Winchester PP becouse there cheap and the local shop has them in stock.They will do just as good a job as the core-locks as long as I do my job.I think the differince in these bullets is small and dosn`t matter much in the real woods.

Riflemen10x

1 - 8 of 8 Posts