Marlin Firearms Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
I'm not an AR guy, but I see the attraction to the AR platform. AR's are easily convertible to different calibers and also to different people. As you see, AR's come in many calibers and some calibers have been designed for the AR platform as well. See List of AR platform cartridges | Wikiwand You can hunt mice to moose with an AR depending on your local hunting laws. Where I am in NY I can only deer hunt with a shotgun but I can coyote hunt outside the deer season with any rifle. Also where you can hunt deer with a rifle they have recently changed the law to any centerfire rifle for deer. The magazine limitations are any semi-automatic firearm with a capacity of no more than 6 shells at one time in the magazine and chamber combined. Magazine capacity is viewed as a safety issue as you don't want guys taking 25 shots at a running deer through random landscape not knowing whats beyond their target.

The restrictions on AR's here don't allow you to take advantage of the platform.

N.Y. Penal Law § 265.00(22) 22. "Assault weapon" means(a) a semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least one of the following characteristics:(i)a folding or telescoping stock;(ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon; (iii) a thumbhole stock;(iv) a second hand grip or a protruding grip that can beheld by the non-trigger hand; (v)a bayonet mount;(vi) a flash suppressor, muzzle break, muzzle compensator, or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor, muzzle break, or muzzle compensator;(vii) a grenade launcher; or(b)a semiautomatic shotgun that has at least one of the following characteristics: (i) a folding or telescoping stock;(ii) a thumbhole stock;(iii) a second hand grip or a protruding grip that can beheld by the non-trigger hand; (iv) fixed magazine capacity in excess of seven rounds (May be 10;(v) an ability to accept a detachable magazine; or(c) a semiautomatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least one of the following characteristics:(i) a folding or telescoping stock; (ii) a thumbhole stock;(iii) a second handgrip or a protruding grip that can beheld by the non-trigger hand;(iv)capacity to accept an ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip;(v)a threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer;

·
Registered
672 Posts
My state will allow big game AR hunting if the rifle is chambered for 23 caliber or more. Used my AR-10 clone to down this 8 pointer back in Nov 2019......
View attachment 842940
Yup..looks like an AR, in the right hands, in the right caliber..does what it’s supposed to do. Very nice buck!

Now my rant..not directed at you. This is for the topic poster.

It never about the gun..in Game laws(other than the season)..it’s about the kind of gun/firearm type of fire arm be it a ML, SG, CF and even air rifles that are allowed for whatever game animal. So, whether it’s a smoke pole, center fire, shotgun and even air rifles in some states...that’s what they regulate. They don’t restrict by platform whether it is an AR or falling block single shot...but they do for ML in some states. The caliber required to/ for hunting large/small game with either of the firearms or air rifles allowed is all they regulate. Example: .25 caliber or larger for center fire for species(large or small game..fur bearer,etc., shotguns(shot size,plugged gun,etc.) or no air rifles for large game or no center fire for turkeys, etc..

Anyways...not all AR’s come in the diminutive 5.56N. There are numerous chamberings (like the photo/Hunter above used (.308W) that are better suited for deer hunting..like my 6.8 SPCII for instance! Wink..wink!

If your state allows for a center fire in 5.56N or better..because of its caliber..for what you wish to hunt...ur good to go. Now, find the right Caliber of AR variant to do the required job..in a caliber that’s allowed and, and does the job better of taking the game as required. Oh yeah..as had been mentioned..penal laws gun restrictions like AR bans..are different in nature as game laws.

Rant over

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
While I like traditional rifles a lot, ARs are pretty handy in a stand. I have killed a number of deer with the .223 and 300 BLK. I think they work okay if you have the required shot discipline but they are certainly not a .270 Winchester. Here in S.C. ARs are fine and there are no magazine capacity restrictions that I am aware of.

·
Registered
33 Posts
In Missouri I believe any center fire cartridge is allowed to harvest deer.
The firearms are not allowed to have a magazine with more than a 10 round magazine.
How many rounds can you put in a Marlin 1894?
I choose to use a MSR chambered in .223 because at times I hunt close to my neighbors house. A 45-70 might rattle their windows and they wouldn't appreciate that?
I also have a MSR in 7.62 X 39 that I use to harvest larger critters.

·
Super Moderator
9,297 Posts
Here where I live the minimum allowed is the cartridge has to make 1200 ft lbs of muzzle energy. 223\5.56 just makes this requirement. I do have 450 Bushmaster and 50 Beowulf uppers which are more than adequate which we use for wild pig. Any of the other calibers like 350 Legend, 6.8 Rem SPC, or 6.5 Grendel should be okay for deer ----even 7.62 X 39 would work too.

Reactions: REK

·
Registered
341 Posts
I've got an AR-15 upper in 7.62x39. Great for east coast whitetail hunting with the 122 grain Hornady soft points. I've also used it for hog hunting. The MSR (Modern Sporting Rifle) is an interesting concept. Perhaps if more people used it for what the left would term "sporting" uses they might back off the talking point that ARs are only for the battlefield.

Then again, most of the anti-gunners are idiots.. so that's highly unlikely.

·
Registered
16,152 Posts
Under what conditions? I'd carry an AR to hunt, assuming proper chambering for the intended game, if I had a full face mask and voice scrambler so nobody knows it's me.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Here in the PRK, we can hunt with an AR! Restricted to "Featureless", ie, no pistol grip, flash hider, or mag capacity above 10 rnds. Also, we have to go unleaded projectiles. Caliber can be anything centerfire in a rifle. AR pistols are not legal for hunting here.

If i wanted to hunt with my featureless AR, i would probably go with a Grendle, 6mm ARC, or 6.8 SPC II. I have a .224 Valkyrie upper, which i might possibly use, but really, I'd rather use one of my 336's in 30-30 or 35 rem. I Also have a vintage savage 99 H carbine in 30-30, I love to carry without optics.

·
Registered
27 Posts
If you consider a Ruger Mini-30 an MSR, that would be my first choice over those above because of Caliber, ergonomics, and public perception. A Ranch Model Mini 30 is featureless ( but not Tactical Models), so no legalities to worry about. The hard part will be unleaded ammo. I will have to experiment with handloads to see what works best, either the barnes 110, or 130 grain bullet. And my choice could be dictated by what fits in the magazine, without any other fuctional issues.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Years ago I was on the fence about building a 6.8SPC until I watched some videos of it in action night time hunting hogs in Texas, seeing multiple hogs being dropped on the run with one shot was enough to win me over.
I built a super accurate rifle around a 16" ARP Socom barrel. shot a few deer with it, 120 SST going 2500 fps did the job.
My hunting buddy commented that it did more damage than his 280 Rem.
Been hunting with lever actions mostly the last couple years but still take out the 6.8 when it is raining. An AR is really hard to beat, accurate, fast follow up shot if needed and doesn't care if the weather is bad, unfortunately it doesn't have same "soul" as older traditional rifles.
Son in law uses a 450 Bushmaster sometimes, its like a semi auto 45-70.

REK

·
Super Moderator
9,297 Posts
I like it when the regs leave it up to the hunter to determine what will be used.

FREEDOM!
It is ironic that we have the most strict gun laws but hunting is still okay. Aside from the requirement I mentioned we cannot use handguns to hunt in public hunting areas. Only if you hunt on private land can you use a handgun. Also, in public areas you must have a hunting license . Cannot hunt from a vehicle. Rifle has to have 10rd mag or less with no more than 3rds loaded.

Reactions: rob42049

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Deer in Indiana we can use any cartridge .243 and up on private land. Not sure on min length but 38 spl is too short and 3" max.
On public land we are limited to 1.8" max length cases. .357 min.
We are limited to 10 cartridges in our possession. Suppressors are legal. No Short Barreled Rifles. No rules on action type except no full auto. Handguns same cartridge length as private land with no case limit length on public.
So AR rifles and pistols are good to go.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I am a hypocrite when it comes to hunting with an AR15, but If it's legal to hunt with, go for it.

An AR isn't very comfortable to carry on a hunt hunt. There is always a lever, handle or right angle poking you and something clinking, clanking or rattling. I've seen to many deer sized animals wounded to death (or not recovered) to recommend a 223. I think it is marginal on hogs. Hogs come in all sizes, but are tough animals, a carful shot to the central nervous system will drop 'em pretty quick. For coyotes, javalina or maybe speed goats it's great. The places I most often hunt Arizona, Texas and Maine, a 223 and AR's are legal, Maine has a magazine restriction of 10 rounds.

Because I don't care for the 223 for bigger game, it can be about $400 for a complete upper and a mag swap to get a more suitable deer cartridge. The more I hunt with it, the more I am impressed with the 6.8 SPC. It has a variety of factory ammo, 90 grain bonded at 2,800 fps to 120's at 2,450 fps. My brother has taken a few Maine deer with the 300 ham'r. If I hunted a place with straight wall restrictions, I'd be looking at something similar to the 350 Legend or 450 Bushmaster. Arizona has elk and bison, Maine moose and Texas, Asian/African exotics. For me, there are no cartridges in an AR-15 platform adequate these animals. However, the AR10 is looking good.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My state says I can. Out to 200 yards, or maybe a little further, I wouldn’t hesitate to take any deer walking with my 223/5.56. With the correct bullet of course.
My AR 10 in 7mm-08 will take deer, elk and some other things all day long.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts