Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Chicago (I know)
I picked up some uberti colt 1851 & 60's. I can only find black powder online, and that has a huge haz-mat fee and shipping restrictions.
I want ot know is there anywhere in NW Illinois that has BP (and percussion caps) for sale? I can't find any. What about Northern or southern Wisconsin? I'm going to St. Louis next week, any chance of anyone selling BP in MO?

Well thanks if before had if any has any info.

Matt

Reactions: Catherine

·
Premium Member
6,592 Posts
You should be able to get it in St. Louis easy. Check the big box stores and the locals and stock up.
Also sounds like you are in Northern Communist territories drive across to the free land of Indiana and you can buy it there just smuggle it back home.
Remember the Blackhawks suck Go Wings

·
Registered
161 Posts
It is a little known fact that Bass Pro Shops carry Goex in at least 3X and 4X. They also carry percussion caps, but I had to ask at the firearms counter. I have bought it at the Peoria store a couple times. Considering your area ,I would call ahead to check as it could be different than the other state of Illinois.. Wish you the best .

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Cabelas in Hammond has percussion caps for sure. I ordered my black powder online. Cabelas also has Blackhorn 209 is you want to use not-real BP.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
It is getting darn hard hard to find a gun shop that wants to mess with black powder, anymore. Just about any gun shop will carry the substitutes, but carrying the real stuff - actual black powder - means more restrictions and paper work for a dealer.

If you're up to a drive, Bill's Gun Shop in Lomira, Wisconsin, up around Fond du Lac carries black powder. Bought some from him last month, but you might want to call, first. Great folks, though, very much an old time gun shop.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Yep, just order as much powder and percussion caps from Grafs as necessary to max out the hazmat (50lb gross package weight, IIRC) and it becomes cheaper than wasting time trying to find it locally.

·
Registered
3,774 Posts
It is getting darn hard hard to find a gun shop that wants to mess with black powder, anymore. Just about any gun shop will carry the substitutes, but carrying the real stuff - actual black powder - means more restrictions and paper work for a dealer.
The main reason most gun stores do not carry real black powder is it is classed as an explosive and requires an explosive dealers license. By some fire regs and I think Fed rules it has different storage requirements too. There have been several attempts to class sporting grade BP the same as smokeless but that has failed. The reason the min order is 25 lbs is there are shipping rules as to the type and construction of the box BP can be shipped in. PigBat you did not used to be able to have caps and powder shipped in the same container so maybe some things have changed.

MATT the Gander Mountain in Ft Wayne used to sell BP, maybe the one in Merryville does too. I would call and speak to someone in the gun department. Go to NMLRA Field Reps | National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association and find a Field Rep near you, they should know where to buy powder. There are several clubs in the NW Indiana SW MI area that should be able to help too.
Field Reps | National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
The main reason most gun stores do not carry real black powder is it is classed as an explosive and requires an explosive dealers license. By some fire regs and I think Fed rules it has different storage requirements too. There have been several attempts to class sporting grade BP the same as smokeless but that has failed. The reason the min order is 25 lbs is there are shipping rules as to the type and construction of the box BP can be shipped in. PigBat you did not used to be able to have caps and powder shipped in the same container so maybe some things have changed.

MATT the Gander Mountain in Ft Wayne used to sell BP, maybe the one in Merryville does too. I would call and speak to someone in the gun department. Go to NMLRA Field Reps | National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association and find a Field Rep near you, they should know where to buy powder. There are several clubs in the NW Indiana SW MI area that should be able to help too.
Field Reps | National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association
You'll also encounter some local ordinances, here and there, that restrict the sale and possession of black powder.

You might also see if there is a blackpowder shooting group in your area. They might be able to help.

·
Registered
3,774 Posts
They restrict the storage of small quantities of BP but they can fill an entire store with fireworks :(. Go figure.

·
Registered
63 Posts
It can be bought in less than case/25lb quantities but with HAZMAT fees that is best.I Buy from The Back Creek Gun Shop in VA they'll ship it by 5lb lots if you want of course the HAZMAT fee remains the same

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey I finally got around to check on the reply's . I wha to say thanks to all that wrote. My St. Louis trip is a bust But I'm headed to Wisconsin with my niece in about 6 hours. She's never driven that far by herself but she has an opportunity to work as a hairstylist (is that how you spell it?) for Country Thunder this weekend up in Twin Lakes. She wants someone to drive with her the first time. She's going for the orientation. Well any way it's not close enough to Fond du Lac, but I'll check out all the local LGS and Bass Pro's (Wal-Marts too) that I can find around there. I have two hours to kill while she's orientating. Thanks again

1 - 17 of 17 Posts