Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Feel kind of strange to ask, as much as I/we love the 336, it isn’t exactly a high quality double shotgun. Having said that, I’m 6’2” with long arms and bought a 336 .35 Rem specifically to use as a big woods stalking gun with a peep site. How it swings and points is just as important as a bird gun and this one plain doesn’t fit me... like every other rifle I’ve ever owned. Custom fit bolt gun stocks are easy to find (though expensive), but not finding much on the net about folks that do this for lever guns. Any ideas?

·
Banned
497 Posts
If the LOP is too short try a wood block shaped to the stock and screwed on using the buttplate holes. You can cover the seam with a leather buttcuff as shown in the picture. I added an inch to my 1894. A much cheaper fix than a new stock and the LOP is very sensitive to how the rifle fits you - a quarter inch made a difference as I made mine too long to start and gradually shortened it. Once you are satisfied with the LOP you can have the custom stock made to the proper length if you still want to go that route.
Wallaby Wildlife Deer Fawn Wood

·
Registered
191 Posts
New England Custom Guns (NEGC) sells recoil pads up to 1.5" and hard rubber spacers up to .944" (24mm). That way you can add up to 2.444" to your current stock. Some where between the right recoil pad, and spacer you should find a LOP that works for you.

·
Registered
10,228 Posts
If you are not looking to upgrade the wood I would just add a recoil pad. Welcome to MO !

Reactions: mrguvna

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the opinions, New England Custom Guns folks sound light, going to shoot them an email see if we can work something out.

Could have been more specific with my question, sorry about that. I need 1-1.25” added to the length of pull AND about an inch of drop added to get the sights falling naturally into my line of sight (using a Skinner set up). Don’t know about cast yet, would like to have the option if needed. There is an adjustable aftermarket buttplate that would work, but would prefer the whole stock getting done if was a reasonable option.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I guess you have to define what's "reasonable" as an option. Two piece wood blanks are $150. and up. The better two piece blanks are $500. and up. Then the stock maker has to get paid, and that will run you more to twice more, than you paid for the entire rifle because that is mostly hand work to have it fitted to you and your anatomy. That's why buying a $150. stock blank is a losing proposition. If you going to put $1000. or more to get it carved, fitted, checkered, and recoil pad, et al, buying a cheap blank is mostly a waste. Might as well put your money into a fancy blank.

Best of luck..

·
Registered
146 Posts
I too am 6'3".Got a stock from Macon.They actually left the stock long and happened to fit me perfectly.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Olbiker, I had added a comb raiser, a butt pad and an 1in spacer. Fitted fine but looked like a pigs ear, You can't make a silk purse out of a pigs ear. I traced around the original coble up and sent that off to Treebone together with the measurements. The result required minimal fitting by my gunsmith.GH

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.