Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased an 1894C and ordered the caliber conversion kit.

I'd like to keep it simple and start with a proven 158 grain jacketed bullet. I see a lot of people like the Hornady XTP and Remingtons. I'm not finding these or anything similar like the Magtechs in stock.

Do you guys have any tips of where to find something similar so I can join the party?

Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Midway has Rainier plated bullets in stock, and they are even on sale... if you act fast.
Rainier LeadSafe Bullets 38 Cal (357 Diameter) 158 Grain Plated Hollow

I've used a ton of these in several revolvers, and other sizes and styles in countless revolvers and pistols. Do I like
em? Answer: I keep buying more. Please understand that I've not used them in a rifle, and they are best kept below 1200 fps. Personally I have not driven any over 1000 fps. Load them like a cast boolit (that can expand) and they work great.

Reactions: PWB

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
If you can't find any jacketed bullets you might want to consider the Dardas 158 gr cast RNFP, sized @ .359". The feed very well in mine and I get nearly 1800 FPS with no leading.
Just a thought.
GH1:)

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I'd like to keep it simple and start with a proven 158 grain jacketed bullet.

Dave
Dave, good luck with that these days. As the availability of factory ammo has been under record pressure for demand, many have moved over to handloading. Bullet suppliers have had an equal surge in demand, and bullets are scarce, as well as brass, powder and primers. If anyone ever wondered if the .357 was popular, the past few years have established that without a doubt.

I keep an eye on Midway and Natchez, as both will notify you when something shows up. Precision will accept back orders, as will Powder Valley, and others, but the wait can be pretty extensive. At the moment Midway has inventory on a couple jacketed bullets, and several cast bullets. Precision has a couple available, but 158's with a jacket, haven't seen one in weeks, maybe months. You might want to look at a heavier cast bullet.

·
Premium Member
3,479 Posts
I don't know how they are with gunshows in HI, but I have been forced to bullet and powder shopping when I am at gunshows (we have several big ones in the Dallas area... Yes, I'm lucky! ) although you still have to practice due diligence that you are paying a fair price.

I would start looking at cast for now, even plated bullets. If you keep your velocities reasonable, plated bullets will do fine.

I shoot commercially cast bullets in my 1894FG .41Mag... I think they leave the barrel around 1300fps or so, vs 1100-1150 out of the pistols; they lead a little but nothing terrible. If you don't mind paying a little bit of a premium, you can get bullets with gas checks from places like Cast Performance that also work very well. I load the 250grn cast gas checked FN to 1650fps out of the rifle without problems.

·
Registered
356 Posts

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Cabela's, Midway

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
Midway has Rainier plated bullets in stock, and they are even on sale... if you act fast.
Rainier LeadSafe Bullets 38 Cal (357 Diameter) 158 Grain Plated Hollow

I've used a ton of these in several revolvers, and other sizes and styles in countless revolvers and pistols. Do I like
em? Answer: I keep buying more. Please understand that I've not used them in a rifle, and they are best kept below 1200 fps. Personally I have not driven any over 1000 fps. Load them like a cast boolit (that can expand) and they work great.
I've used a lot of the Rainier 357FP 125g/158g with my 1894CL in the 1100-1200FPS range and they work well AS LONG AS you use as light a crimp as possible with either a taper or Lee FCD. Roll crimps will damage the bullet and I've seen them cause a bunch of flyers.

Two of the Cabelas stores that I frequent has the Rainiers in stock about 75% of the time. I've also seen some 110gr, 125gr, 140gr, and 158gr Hornady XTPs showing up less frequently at those locations. Usually a box or two at a time, max.

- Tim

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
I lucked out at my local Cabela's and got a box of 158 gr XTP. Had I known they were going to dry up, I'd have bought more. They have 100 on stock on line and 125, 140 are backorderable.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey, thanks for all the outstanding advice and links. I will definitely be able to get going soon.

I appreciate the help,
Dave

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm ready to rock. I found 2 pounds of Alliant 2400 today. I ordered some Berrys plated 158s. The gun shop didn't have any magnum primers and said the small rifle primers would work...so I got 100 to test.

I called Zero and Magtech and they basically said good luck in finding the 158s. Business is off the charts for them.

You guys have tips / recipes on loading these up? I'll be punching paper at 50 yards to get to know the rifle. Later, I'll work hunting loads.

Thanks so much,
Dave

·
Super Moderator
5,372 Posts
you don't need magnum primers for 2400 .... standard small pistol/large pistol primers will do everything you need with 2400

·
Super Moderator
11,776 Posts
I'm ready to rock. I found 2 pounds of Alliant 2400 today. I ordered some Berrys plated 158s. The gun shop didn't have any magnum primers and said the small rifle primers would work...so I got 100 to test.
Ummmmm - if I'm not mistaken the rifle primers are deeper so they will stick out. NOT a good thing...

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
There was some discussion about this in a recent thread. The large rifle primers are deeper than large pistol, but the small rifle were the same depth (or close enough) as the small pistol. However they may burn hotter and require a harder pin strike due to a thicker cup.

edit. here's the scoop from another forum

http://thefiringline.com/forums/archive/index.php?t-447759.html

Depth min max diameter min max
small rifle primer pocket .117 .123 .1730 .1745
small pistol primer pocket .117 .123 .1730 .1745
Large rifle primer pocket .125 .132 .2085 .2100
Large pistol primer pocket .117 .123 .2085 .2100

Height min max Diameter min max
Small rifle primers .115 .125 .1745 .1765
small pistol primers .115 .125 .1745 .1765
large rifle primers .123 .133 .2105 .2130
large pistol primers .115 .125 .2100 .2120"

SAAMI specifications on primers and primer pockets per "Sinclair International's Precision Reloading & Shooting Handbook" 10th edition 1999

1 - 20 of 62 Posts