Marlin Firearms Forum banner

141 - 160 of 1193 Posts

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Papajohnabi,

I really like that ladder to the loft, great idea. If you don't mind, I'm going to steal it and put one in my Dad's barn. As it is, we have to move a 22' extension ladder into place (overkill, but it's the only one in the barn). Your idea will work very well up there.

MudMan

·
Premium Member
9,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #142
MudMan,
I'd be honored for you to use the idea -- it sure has worked well for us! Very simple -- you should be able to get all the details you need to draw a plan from the pics. Let me know how it turns out! John

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts
Very nice work John, that stain glass lamp looks awesome with the wood paneling!! Really looking forward to seeing your cabinets come together, WILL be taking notes!

·
Premium Member
18,003 Posts
PJ-ABI, has Better Homes and Gardens or House Beautiful contacted you yet? Now that you have a Tiffany lamp in the master bedroom..........how could they NOT do a feature on your place? If you want me to make a phone call let me know............. :)

·
Premium Member
9,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #145 (Edited)
No calls yet from the big mags, but the folks down there want to include our place in next fall's Parade of Homes! Start small and grow bigger ;D

Great weekend of work this last one -- finished the kitchen cabinet bases (except for the doors under the sink area). Top to be added is essentially an inch and a half thick by 26" by 96" in oak chopping block. Hope to get it finished in a couple of weeks (lots of gluing involved here). All the drawers have full extension slides and we think it looks pretty slick.
First the overall view
PB090256.JPG

Then one showing the full extension drawer slides (KV8400). You may notice the drawers are pretty simple -- not like those fancy rascals that WetDog makes.
PB090257.JPG

In answer to possible questions, there aren't gonna be any top cabinets (at wife's request and that's a good enough reason for me after 48 years ;). Later, John

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I've got to be very careful who might be around while viewing your handywork. If the wife gets a peak of your pictures, I'll be indentured for at least a year building cabinets. ;D

·
Premium Member
9,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #150 (Edited)
OK, another great weekend at the "South 40"! Best thing was, we went to our oldest granddaughter's official signing of a national letter of intent to play softball for Sam Houston State University on scholarship! What a fun deal. :)
We also did some work on the new house (cabin by some standards) mostly fixing a really annoying squeaking door and getting the doors on the kitchen cabinet that will go under the sink when I get the counter top built.
The doors are self stiling and look kinda cool.
PB160291.JPG
PB160292.JPG

Sorry one knob is missing because of a quality control issue -- no threads :mad:
Hope you had a great week! John

·
Premium Member
18,003 Posts
This has been one of my favorite threads since I first became aware of it. Once a month I'll go back to the first page and look to see how everything has progressed. Awesome stuff, and a running narrative on how it's all coming together. Keep 'em coming, John! :)

·
Premium Member
9,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #154
Sorry for no new pics this week! Had to change our normal routine of weekends at the south 40 and weekdays up north because of the holidays! Hope to have some really neat new stuff next week. Wife wants me to build a gun rack of cedar limbs for the 1894c -- whoo what a woman after my own heart! Thanks again for looking and commenting and encouraging me and mine! Have a great Thanksgiving (and don't forget to really give thanks for all that we have)! Later, John

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts
Looking good John!! Really like the lone star hardware a lot.. nice touch! I know what you mean about the cabin/house labels.. We have come so far in our prosperous nation that 3000sq ft is considered modest by many who can't afford it to begin with.. I really get a kick out of the Californian millionaire neighbors that built summer "cabins" down the street on waterfront property. Their log "cabins" as they like to call them are 3000 sq feet! My house, when finished will be about 1400.. ::) Of course I have to live here year round and heat it in the winter, they are far south of here come Sept...
Happy Thanksgiving! Think of us roughing it up here in the snow... ;D

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Yup I am waiting for more pics too.

My big house is 2400 sq. ft. and all I want. I'm thinking of down sizing since the boys have left. ha ha We have been going through the wood the last couple of days. It has been below zero at night and just above during the day. Where my youngest is guiding elk hunters is is -25 and 20mph wind!

John

·
Premium Member
9,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #157 (Edited)
Dave and John,
The weather in TX is a bit milder altho this last week we had a couple of nites in the low 20s. Makes me appreciate what mild weather we really have down here.
We spent Thanksgiving with the whole family at our dau's house and it was great! 17 people makes a houseful for sure, but a good time was had by all :) Didn't get a lot done at the place but did get a few additions worthy of pics I think. First, the obligatory gun rack made from a couple of pieces of cedar cut from a tree that went down in a major wind storm about 18 months ago -- my wife came up with the idea believe it or not -- all I had to do was find the right pieces. It looks pretty good and certainly fits the decor of the place.
PC270344.JPG

The second pic shows what started out as an ironing board closet and then became a pantry and then became a storage place for some adult beverages ;D
PB260295.JPG

Had a great weekend -- this next week starts the counter top as we carry down the oak, but will be delayed because me and my son and grandson are going to KS on a deer hunt! Sadly won't be carrying the Marlin this year. Hope you had a great Thanksgiving! John

·
Premium Member
18,003 Posts
papajohnabi said:
my wife came up with the idea believe it or not -- all I had to do was find the right pieces.
Well if there was ever any doubt, now we know for sure who is the brains behind the brawn................ ;)

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts
Outstanding gun rack idea! And that liquor cabinet aint bad either! ;D Seriously your place is just awesome! And giving me lots of ideas as well. I will need to switch the Lone Star motif to something more Alaskan, but I can see real possibilities. I wish I was at the really fun stage that you are in.. Keep up the good work John.. :D

141 - 160 of 1193 Posts