Marlin Firearms Forum banner

121 - 140 of 1193 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts
That is one fine bed you built PapaJohn! I think I am going to build one of those someday. I really like seeing your progress photo's.. :)

·
Premium Member
1,950 Posts
Very inspiring, John. One day. . .

·
Premium Member
18,003 Posts
Got a date in mind when it might be ready for full-time habitation?

·
Premium Member
2,053 Posts
just checking back in since my last visit here... man this is looking nice! you are an inspiration! ;D

·
Premium Member
9,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #127 (Edited)
This last weekend was kind of a lazy weekend what with going to see a couple of the grandkids including a baseball game for my grandson and spending one nite with them while folks went to Dallas. We did a lot of moving stuff and organizing and the like. Likely move in date in the end of October (whether full time or part time depends on selling our house in Abilene. We plan to put exterior doors on this weekend as the screen doors don't hack it as the temperatures at nite begin to drop. We did get the stair rail on.
PA120226.JPG

The other weekend project was a temporary poor man's composting toilet. About 6 weeks ago or so I started a thread to find anyone with experience with composting toilets in the wilderness living forum. Got several great inputs, but the one from Marlin Owner member "Pike" really caught our attention. It talked about using buckets and sawdust so out of scrap wood and some 5 gallon paint buckets, we made a rig to try -- guess you could call it a "Scrapper Cr##per". We have a flush toilet with septic, etc at the house that was on the property when we bought it, but since we plan to sleep in the new house, we needed something for those middle of the night trips where going 40 yards or so to the bathroom is not an option. We're gonna try this -- if it works, great and if not OK we go buy a high dollar composting toilet after the house here sells. If it works like we think it will since we have a limitless supply of sawdust, I'll build a fancier one next summer. PA180231.JPG
Business in the middle, saw dust on the right and trash on the left ;D

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts
Say, you and I are on a parallel course here when talking about composting systems. Our place in Haines is sitting on where a glacier was parked only about 10000 years ago and as such is mostly clay about 3 feet down. The only 2 courses open to us is either a hi tech system that costs $20k (and actually needs an internet connection to be monitored by someone far far away) or else a composting system which we have all but decided to do. I really don't like high tech solutions much, because they never seem all that reliable, and always always require someone (in this case that someone would need to be flown in) with training to fix it.
Here is a good book on the subject I read earlier this year.
http://www.amazon.com/Humanure-Handbook-Guide-Composting-Manure/dp/0964425831/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1287078518&sr=1-1
Best fishes!
Dave

·
Premium Member
9,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #129 (Edited)
First a couple of new pics from this weekend's efforts! FINALLY, got the exterior doors on as I had been saying was on the list for several weeks. We think these 9-lite wood doors fit the place nicely.
PA180238.JPG
Then we got the queen size mattress moved down from the old house and my wife put this neat denim bedspread on it that she made from scraps of old jeans years ago so it looked nicer for a "picture to put on the Marlin thingie" she said. This is probably the world's heaviest bedspread.

Finally made some minor improvements to what we now call the COB ([email protected]&&er Out Back). Made lids for the trash bucket and sawdust bucket and hung my paternal grandfathers old magazine rack on the wall so we'd have some readily available reading material.
PA180232.JPG
For eaglesnest -- Dave, this thing works great -- absolutely no odor after sitting for a week! That book is the same one that MO member Pike recommended that he was using at his place in NM. BTW, Pike's given name is Dave as well so we now talk about AK Dave and NM Dave at our house.

Did see our twin fawns again this weekend -- they're growing like crazy and play-fighting like crazy. Lost their spots now.

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts
Really like your progress photo's! It is really looking like a home, and such a nice western frontier look, only more refined.
Nice bed! It is no doubt exciting to be moving in shortly. I so wish my place was at that stage.. I am riding the ferry boat now, using a cell tower to get my mobile internet. Will be in haines in a few hours, and the sun has finally decided to show itself! Was planning to just work on the house, for the next week but I did bring my lever guns and my Ruger 45 LC so if the sun stays out I am going to go shooting.. ;D
Best to you John..
AK Dave..

·
Registered
91 Posts
The cabin looks great. The flooring looks like it was worth waiting for is that long leaf yellow pine? You sure have a knack for cabinet making the bed and every thing turned out first class.
Between you and eaglesnest I am getting the bug to get up north and build our place.

Kevin

·
Premium Member
9,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #133
Kevin, the flooring is just plain old southern yellow pine but it was milled from what's known in these parts as "D grade" which means it is nearly free of knots (tho not entirely knot free). It's pretty tough wood and has some interesting grain patterns in it which I like. Thanks for looking and thanks for the compliments. Suggest you use eaglesnest's method for drawing up plans instead of pen and typing paper and an old wooden ruler like I did. My power tools are much better than most and for that I have my wife to thank -- she has always supported my woodworking tool needs. Of course she can use them too! ;D Later, John

·
Registered
91 Posts
papajohnabi,

I use CAD systems all the time and I agree but I am also a very good draftsman. I started my engineering career on a drafting table not a computer. I like drawing the basic design on my building projects by hand. It gives me a chance to work close on the details.

I have been designing the electrical, network and computer control systems for Auto plants for a long time. Things are a bit slow just now so I need to get the basic plan for the camp done and start pricing it out.

You and eaglesnest have got me motivated. I will have to post the project when I get started. I like the post and beam on eaglesnest lodge and the finish work on you project. Our camp is in the Huron Mtn's. in the North West UP and having the insulation of eagelsnest lodge has its benefits. We will be off the grid so an R-10 billion insulation rating will have its merits.

Thanks again for sharing your project.

Kevin

·
Premium Member
9,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #135 (Edited)
Don't have a bunch of pictures from this past weekend's work as we had some friends come down on Saturday and we just loafed and enjoyed the company! Barbecued some chicken breasts and made a dutch oven cobbler using some of our home grown peaches! Yum!
Just because I felt we didn't do a lot this weekend, I went back to see what the place looked like a year ago -- it's amazing what 52 weekends of not doing much can do. This is how it looked on Oct 26 2009.
PA260119.JPG

Kitchen cabinets are the order of business for next weekend as we are getting really anxious to have a sink -- then we'll get the LP gas tank moved and connected to the house so we have heat and HOT water. Thanks again for looking folks.

Kevin2, since we did all the labor, our only cost was materials except for the water and gas plumbing. More pics next week. John
Forgot to mention we did sleep in the new house for the first time this past weekend and actually had house guests in the upstairs sleeping area for two nites as well. J

·
Premium Member
18,003 Posts
All I can say is WOW. From humble beginnings have come many great and wonderful things! The scope of doing something like that is simply beyond my comprehension. To see it grow and progress and become more refined each week has been a really fun ride.

Now what are you two going to do when it's finished? Somehow I don't picture you two as the Rocking Chair types.......... ;)

Reactions: Survivor99

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts
papajohn said:
A

Now what are you two going to do when it's finished? Somehow I don't picture you two as the Rocking Chair types.......... ;)
Good point PJ! What is next up John?? ;D

I, when I do finally finish our place have lots of projects I want to do. I want a nice permanent loading room! Also I would like a place to shoot indoors, maybe a buried culvert or something like that for those long cold AK winters.. Then I want to build at least 2 more boats, and after that, well who knows, something will turn up, it always does!

·
Premium Member
9,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #138
Got another project planned, but first some reloading and some serious target shooting! Going to KS with son and grandson in Dec on a deer safari! Own some land there too! More pics next week! J

·
Premium Member
28,803 Posts
Im impressed. I can build a box ;D To live in, but thats talent right there.And to have someone helping ya.Id have to build a boxing ring first for all the fights wed have ;D Gunrunner,,

·
Premium Member
9,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #140 (Edited)
Well we keep on rolling along. Short weekend this last one so not as much accomplished as I would like, but dau and beau came in for Sat eve and that was fun! Did get some work done on the kitchen cabinets and hope to finish frames and drawers next weekend. Not as fancy as WetDog's cabinet work, but it gets 'er done!
PB020249.JPG
Took a picture of the north wall of bedroom area so PapaJohn could see the Tiffany lamp hanging.

Then since several of you have or want to have a small loft in your hideaway, included two pics of one I put in the barn that works pretty good and stores out of the way without a lot of fancy hardware.

PB020240.JPG PB020242.JPG

The weather around here is beautiful -- highs around 70 and low about 50. Good sleeping weather. Hope your pasture got some rain! Later, John

Attachments

121 - 140 of 1193 Posts