Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1141 - 1160 of 1193 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,141
Well, after some crazy delays in shipping, the latest addition to the Hoot 'N Holler Hidey Hole finally arrived yesterday morning! It only took 7 days to get here from Houston -- craziest thing is it took 6 days to get from Houston to Lubbock and then only a day to get from Lubbock to Goldthwaite! It was sent Priority Mail and insured. Both txpitdog (the seller) and I were going nuts trying to figure that the USPS tracking showed nothing new from acceptance at Humble Post Office on the 11th until showing up in Lubbock on the 17th. The good news is that it came through fine but it sure did give me, txpitdog, and the postmaster here in Goldthwaite a lot of anxious moments:laugh: I haven't had a chance to clean and get really good pics yet, but expect that to happen over the next few days.

If you'd like to see pics of the rifle that txpitdog sent me, go here http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/all-items-sold/183392-marlin-1894-cowboy-limited-357-mag.html So that you'll know it really is here, I got a picture yesterday afternoon of the Cowboy 357 and the original 1894C hanging out on the porch of the cabin!
1894 rifles 1.JPG 1894 rifles 2.JPG

Sorry about the pics being sideways:laugh: Hey, y'all have a Merry Christmas The boys are all coming back for Christmas and the weather is forecast to be beautiful, so hopefully will have more pics to show in the next week! Take care, because we care! John

·
Premium Member
9,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,146 (Edited)
Christmas Eve day, we finally had some really nice shooting weather, so son, SIL, and granddaughter and I went to our little range with three rifles -- my 1895 Cowboy 45-70, my recently acquired 1894 Cowboy Limited in 357, and my son's heavy barreled AR15. We were shooting off a lead sled at 50 yards.

First up was the 45-70 (350 gr Lasercast in Starline Brass, 15 gr Trail Boss). The scope mount had loosened after the lost shooting session, so I took it in to the LGS and asked them to remount the scope and to boresight it, which they were happy to do as I do a lot of business with them. First shot low and slightly left so adjusted crosshairs to the POI. Second shot still slightly low and left so adjusted crosshairs again. The next 8 shots looked pretty good (those 8 rounds were two rounds each from the four of us so I consider that MOP (Minute of Pig) for right now!

24DecCowboy4570.JPG

Second rifle was my son's AR! He had pulled the scope last summer and was concerned if the scope needed recalibrating -- he has a Leupold scope and quick release rings on the rail -- I don't think anything changed from the looks of the twenty rounds!
24DecJJ223.JPG

Third up was the Cowboy 357 that I recently bought here on MO from member txpitdog. I haven't had the opportunity to complete disassemble it yet, but the trigger is ABSOLUTELY amazing! We were spraying around a bit but each of us got a couple of rounds -- nothing great, but will be working on loads. That day we were shooting 158 gr HTP/FP over 16 gr of LilGun! Want to work up some cast loads but I have plenty of HTP bullets for the 1894C carbine and my two Smiths!

24DecCowboy357.JPG

For what it's worth, both of the Cowboys were purchased here on MO -- I own 7 Marlins and 5 were purchased from MO members (and I'm very proud of that fact!) Thanks for looking in gang! I care, and I hope y'all have a Happy and Prosperous New Year! John

Attachments

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
John,
I checked and saw that Factory Remington 158 gr and 125 gr ammo grouped in a 1" group at 50 yards for my 1894 357 mag. I will PM you with my handloads for my 357.
John

·
Premium Member
9,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,149
Have some relatively new "residents" here at the HHHH -- I know I've posted some of them, but maybe these pictures will be better. Since we're starting on another building in the next week, we needed a way to power the tools without having to drag out 200 feet of extension cords to get any work done (and then roll them back up at the end of the day -- because of the donkeys). Drag out, roll up, and repeat as necessary is not a lot of fun to me:biggrin:. So, to keep that from happening, we bought (as our Christmas present to ourselves) a portable generator. It's a 7000 watt continuous and 8500 watt start power. It has a Honda engine, four 120 volt outlets, and one 240 volt outlet. We bought it and got two friends to come help us get it out of the pickup. Put on the wheels, hooked up the battery, filled it with gas, and hit the starter one short burst and it was running like a champ. I was impressed. Here's a pic of the new "toy" in the motor pool.

Generator.JPG

Then as you probably know, I recently purchased (here on MO) and 1894CB Limited in 357. Here's a picture of it hanging over the bed in the cabin.

1894CB 357.JPG

And also as you know, my wife is a very talented lady -- recently she made this rug from denim strips braided together. I think I helped her strip 11 pairs of old jeans. After the braiding was done, she sewed the looooong braid into the rug. It's a cool reminder of how some of our ancestors made do with what they had and it looks really good in the COB and also makes the floor a lot warmer in the winter time!

DenimRug.JPG

Thanks for lookin' in! Hope the winter hasn't hit you too hard! I care, John

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Nice having a generator. I know I couldn't work without mine. That and a chainsaw! lol
I grew up with rugs like that. I didn't know they weren't store bought until I left home.
John

·
Registered
9,500 Posts
Hey John. That Honda will serve you long and well. I love mine.

Cheers,
Mark.

·
Premium Member
9,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,153
Good Golly Miss Molly -- it is hot and dry here in our part of Texas. Seems that the long range forecast (from last fall) associated with a major "El Nino" was all wrong. According to the prognosticators, we were supposed to have a wetter and colder winter than normal. We got some rain in November, but none since. The temperature for the last five days has been upper 70s and it's forecast to be that or higher for the next week and a half. It's beautiful April weather, but not what we expect to see in mid-February. Hey, it's Texas, it could change in a minute. The big concern I have is that trees (including the fruit trees) will bud out and then we get a killing frost. I saw a HUGE flock of geese flying north yesterday morning. Good news is the old mesquites haven't budded yet. Hope y'all are having pleasant (and a bit more seasonal) weather. Thanks for looking in. Take care because I do care!

·
Premium Member
1,511 Posts
Our winter has been nuts here too. Warmer than normal and no snow to speak of, should be interesting to see what happens this spring with no spring run off from the snow. It seems to have finally decided to get cold here with a high of 12 degrees forecast for tomorrow but that's not going to stay that way for long I don't think. Hope you get some rain soon.

Stu

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Hey John,
We have had a snow filled winter up until the last couple of weeks or so and now it is in the 40's and melting. And it acts like spring is here. A neighbor got a pic on his trail cam of a BIG Griz. Way to early for them to be out.
John

·
Premium Member
9,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,156
Nearly a month since last post, so here's an update! Still much warmer and drier than normal for this time of year, though we do have the possibility (dare I say probability) of rain for most of next week. I was able to get the garden tilled based on the rain we had mid February! I used to be able to till the garden in about three hours, but it takes about 3 days now as I can only get about 3 rounds with the tiller before stopping for coffee and a sit! Here's a picture of how the garden looks now.

TilledGarden.JPG I have two tillers -- the large one is a tilling son of a gun, but tough to maneuver in small areas so the little one gets the call! It's a little 2-cycle unit, but it's really light and handy -- also use it for weeding after plants up!

GardenTools.JPG

We've also started on the next building project -- called the Twisted Whiskey! It's gonna be built like an old west bar. 16 X 20 enclosed with a 6 foot wide covered porch on two sides!! At least we got the holes dug :marchmellow:

TWholes1.JPG

Thanks for looking in -- more on the progress in a few days I think! Take care because I care, John

·
Premium Member
9,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,158
Well, we got about 3 inches of rain over a period of 5 days the week of 7-11 March and it was indeed welcome! That should help the coastal Bermuda grow well for at least awhile -- that's what makes a lot of the hay for livestock in this area of Texas. Of course, every bit of that rain soaked into the garden since I had tilled it earlier. I know that without pictures it didn't happen (particularly with any talk of rain in our part of Texas) but the uploader thing isn't working at the moment:shot: So there's not a pic of the rain gauge! I'll add more stuff later when the picture upload is cooperating! John

·
Registered
763 Posts
Glad you got the rain you needed. You would have been welcome to some of the almost 20 inches parts of South Mississippi and Louisiana got. My good friend lost three ponds due to breaching of their dams. Lots of homes flooded, too.

Reactions: papajohnabi

·
Premium Member
9,716 Posts
One of my favorite threads here! Thanks sir!

Reactions: papajohnabi
1141 - 1160 of 1193 Posts